New whipple and clutch..dynotune? When?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
I need your help SVTP!

The whipple (with fuel and air mods) and Spec 3+ clutch are being installed at the same time. What should i do regarding the dyno tune (4th gear pulls)?

1. Drive the car like a baby, untuned for 1000-1500 miles to get break in done? Would i need to worry about hurting the car if i went that route even though i would be out of boost completely the entire time? :shrug:

2. Get the car tuned with the new clutch, just be EXTREMELY soft and slow shifting at low rpms, do the pull after in gear and dont touch the clutch until it revs down?

My mechanic has serious doubts that the car will hold up on the stock clutch/input shaft at the dyno..id rather not prove him right. On the flip side..ive got a brand new clutch, so i dont want to compromise it.

If he hasnt started the clutch install yet, i might be able to get him to hold off on the clutch install if I can get definative advice that I wont grenade the stock clutch/input shaft. Anyone gone through this predicament before? Help please... :beer:

svt2ner

Established Member
You should be fine on the stock clutch until its tuned. Is it slipping badly or what? Many people with twinscrew still on stock clutch.

Fang

Established Member
Still on stock clutch here. If I ever get around to doing something else it will probably be clutch and half shafts.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Thanks guys, I got ahold of my mechanic and he is going to get it tuned on the stock clutch first for me and then do the clutch afterwards. Now i need to find a new sensor bracket for the damn whipple!! LOL one little bracket is stopping me from getting the car tuned! Suggestions??

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I was in the same boat as you. Just did a brand new clutch and installed the whipple around the same time. What you should do is get the clutch installed but get the tuner to send you a base tune. Then you can drive it around (stay out of boost) for 450-500 miles. You really don't want to go into boost anyway until the clutch is broken in. When the clutch in broken in take it to the tuner and get the final tune. No sense of tuning it on the stock clutch just to install the new one and not be able to drive the car because of break-in. Just my .02

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I just installed headers and a new SPEC dual-disc clutch last weekend and put the car on the dyno on Monday. It was only 3 pulls on the dyno and then back to "normal" driving for the remainder of the 500 mile break-in period...:beer:

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i did the majority of the tuning on the stock clutch. Took the car back for a double check with about 200 miles on the break in and let them know prior to running, but the car is dirving fine and i am continuing the break in.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I just installed headers and a new SPEC dual-disc clutch last weekend and put the car on the dyno on Monday. It was only 3 pulls on the dyno and then back to "normal" driving for the remainder of the 500 mile break-in period...:beer:

this^^^^ its not like there gonna due 15 pulls on the dyno... you should be fine with the new set up on the dyno..

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i think the initial tuning on my car was like 5-8 pulls (i didnt get to be there), but im glad that was on my stock clutch rather than a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread