2 things: How to get old gas out? and “new car” video.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Hello SN95’rs!

I haven’t been in this section of the forum since I haven’t owned one until now. I got a 96 that came with some very old gas that I need to get out (1/2 tank - years old). Does anyone know which wires to jump to run the pumps continuously? I’d like to pump the fuel out through the fuel rail unless anyone knows an easier way.

Here is a video I made of my latest acquisition:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a cheap electric pump I use with a hose through the filler neck. I've used it for a bunch of vehicles.

Pro-Tip - I ran my DD for months this spring on dead gas I pump out of people's boats for them. I boat won't run on it, but a Lincoln didn't have an issue with it.

Goose17

Established Member
I have a cheap electric pump I use with a hose through the filler neck. I've used it for a bunch of vehicles.

Pro-Tip - I ran my DD for months this spring on dead gas I pump out of people's boats for them. I boat won't run on it, but a Lincoln didn't have an issue with it.

Thanks SID.

When I bought my 2000 Cobra R, it too had old gas. The gas was so old it caused a misfire that tripped the check engine light. I then couldn’t get the car inspected and registered until I got the gas out and drove it upwards of 100 miles to reset all of the sensors after clearing the code. This was my low-mile R and I hated just driving around to reset the computer.

As for getting the gas out of my R, it has an anti-rollover/anti-siphon valve in the filler neck that I couldn’t get a line down through. I got some of the gas out through a line I removed, but the R’s tank is filled with foam so I couldn’t get it all. I ended up pumping it out through the fitting on the fuel rail by cycling the key many, many times. I later learned that you can jump some wires to have the pump run continuously without the engine running, which would pump the fuel out through the fitting on the rail. I don’t recall the wire colors or if it even applies to the 96 Cobra. I’d like to not have the same “check engine light” problem like I did the last time.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I watched that whole video thinking, "My God, this thing is beyond mint." Then you showed the odometer. Wow. I know it's rude to ask, but do you mind sharing what you paid for such an absurdly low-mile, virgin car? No offense taken if you'd rather keep that to yourself :)

In regards to your question concerning the fuel pump, if you don't want to go the electric pump and tube down the filler neck route, I believe you can jumper it at the CCRM module. Pin 5 should be power to the fuel pump. It's a dark green with yellow stripe wire.

ccrmschematic2.gif

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, just under 400 miles. Had to mute the video though (Kid Rock lol)

I'd love to hear what you paid as well.

Goose17

Established Member
I watched that whole video thinking, "My God, this thing is beyond mint." Then you showed the odometer. Wow. I know it's rude to ask, but do you mind sharing what you paid for such an absurdly low-mile, virgin car? No offense taken if you'd rather keep that to yourself :)

In regards to your question concerning the fuel pump, if you don't want to go the electric pump and tube down the filler neck route, I believe you can jumper it at the CCRM module. Pin 5 should be power to the fuel pump. It's a dark green with yellow stripe wire.

View attachment 1504343

Fantastic! Thank you for the help! The tube down the filler neck doesn’t work with the anti-siphon/anti-rollover valve if I’m not mistaken. It didn’t work on my 2000 Cobra R.

Is that module in the trunk?

As for what I paid... I don’t like to reveal prices I pay for my cars, sorry. It was a number that worked for both the seller and me, so the deal was done!

Wow, just under 400 miles. Had to mute the video though (Kid Rock lol)

I'd love to hear what you paid as well.

I wanted a song with a slow building intro... it had to be this one! I had fun syncing the music to the pictures.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Fantastic! Thank you for the help! The tube down the filler neck doesn’t work with the anti-siphon/anti-rollover valve if I’m not mistaken. It didn’t work on my 2000 Cobra R.

Is that module in the trunk?

No, the module is in the front, passenger fender. Take the wheel off, remove the splash guard and you'll see it.

Goose17

Established Member
No, the module is in the front, passenger fender. Take the wheel off, remove the splash guard and you'll see it.

Good info, thank you!

I think plan-A is to get the car up in the air on my lift and have a look at the tank... see if there is a vent line or something that can be removed to gain access to siphon. If that is a dead end, I’ll look into jumping the pump.

After detailing it, I left it between the lift posts with the intent to have a look underneath... I just haven’t had the time yet.

F806_B7_D6-5_F5_E-4534-8_E1_C-_B9_F9_AC4_E3355.jpg

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, super nice car!!! How did you come across such a low, low mileage beauty?
Now you need to update your photo sig! lol

Goose17

Established Member
Wow, super nice car!!! How did you come across such a low, low mileage beauty?
Now you need to update your photo sig! lol

Yes, I need to update the pic... one of the Terminators has been replaced by the 96 Mystic.

As for the story:

Long story, but I spent 2 days driving to go look at one. I got a rental car (didn’t start from home) and a hotel. The car turned out to be a dud. I posted the story on a Mystic chat site and a member told me about a guy on Craigslist that was selling 2 of them. I found him, but only one car was listed. He told me about the low mile one that he had at a dealer on consignment, but he was second guessing his decision to sell and was leaning towards keeping it. We ended up chatting quite a bit and I told him about my 93 Cobra bottom-side detail project. He wanted to see some pics... when he saw the pics of my garage and cars, he said his low mile car NEEDS to be in my collection and we made the deal right there on the phone. Once the consignment was up, I wired the money and the rest is history.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
As for the story:

Long story, but I spent 2 days driving to go look at one. I got a rental car (didn’t start from home) and a hotel. The car turned out to be a dud. I posted the story on a Mystic chat site and a member told me about a guy on Craigslist that was selling 2 of them. I found him, but only one car was listed. He told me about the low mile one that he had at a dealer on consignment, but he was second guessing his decision to sell and was leaning towards keeping it. We ended up chatting quite a bit and I told him about my 93 Cobra bottom-side detail project. He wanted to see some pics... when he saw the pics of my garage and cars, he said his low mile car NEEDS to be in my collection and we made the deal right there on the phone. Once the consignment was up, I wired the money and the rest is history.
That's awesome man.
Killer collection.

Goose17

Established Member
A follow-up... I successfully got the bad fuel out today!

Spent most of the day trying to get the old gas out of the 96. Many failed attempts. What really set me back was I tried something that I thought would work early on, but it didn’t. Hours later I tried it again and this time it worked! I must have had a bad connection the first go-round. I was getting close to dropping the tank and tried one more time!

The Schrader Valve:

C0_BB0457-_F471-415_E-_B44_A-_FEFA13_B4_E8_A3.jpg

B2093_AE1-2_E96-487_C-8_AA3-4_B07_AB367_D5_D.jpg

Power spliced into connector removed from inertia switch, the brown/pink wire:

771296_AE-952_E-426_E-8_AD0-5839_B0_BF6_DBB.jpg

Goose17

Established Member
Today was a big day for the 96. I got a temp tag on it and took it for my first drive. First stop was the gas station for 1.5 gallons and then to be inspected. It passed inspection with no issues. The 3 techs were all blown away by the car, which was fun. On the way home, the car rolled over 400 miles. Now that it has been inspected, I can register it and pay more to Uncle Sam.

FDABFFC5-_A71_B-4_C82-_B58_C-5453_C770_D002.jpg

7_D7_CE3_A4-282_C-4_CCF-_A828-_BFC999505802.jpg

A4094127-_BF95-4_C1_B-9_DCB-745_B89780_F4_E.jpg

0_FBC98_FC-_EF2_A-41_F7-_BCC0-043_E04_FDD086.jpg

Goose17

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread