2003 cobra bucking, hesitating

rice-gobbler

Established Member
had bassani cat back on and decided to go bassani x o/r. i enjoyed it for a month and decided to put the cats back on after finding that the mil elminators were not working also because there was an exhaust leak. The day i noticed the mid pipe exhaust leak the idle was inconsistant it would not hang at 700rpm or so like normal and when cruising the lower rpm's the car would hesitate when i tried to accelerate. I read around the internet and my symptoms were 02 sensors but i wasnt 100% sure. When the muffler shop installed my catted x pipe they deleted the trouble code. The next day my car was doing the same thing i took someones advice and went with oem motorcraft o2 sensors b/c i could not check the trouble code since the muffler shop deleted it after putting on the cats so i was assuming it was the 02 sensors. well anyway i had the news ones installed and the car is running the same im going to clean the MAF and disconnect the battery (i dont know if this would do anything) but anyway thats where im at. i see alot of people are experiencing a similar problem. Since ive only messed with the exhaust id like to believe its the faulty 02 sensors and that disconnecting the battery would somehow allow the ecu to recognize the new sensors :shrug: dont mean to sound like a fool just looking for fellow advice thank you

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
Before you do anything else check all the vacuum lines, especially the ones going to and from the supercharger.

rice-gobbler

Established Member
alright i put a new EGR and dpfe sensor in and with the new 02 sensors it still hasn't made a difference. on top of that i just found my dog dead in my backyard (cancer) i'm having a horrible day

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Like you mentioned, clean the MAF.

Also, check the throttle body for any kind of buildup, possibly from oil out of the pcv.

Disconnect the battery and after driving it around for a while, the code, if it's still throwing it, should come back on.

hotcobra03

Established Member
see your new ..welcome...sorry to hear about dog,,we are pet owners ,,,

you need to get your codes read,,regardless of what you have been told by muffler shop,,, forget them,,,stay here and you will learn,,,

start with that first,,,

take some time and read about car in stickys above threads,,,

read the ford service manual to understand...codes have pinpoint test to follow for repair...

heres 2 links...

chiltons
Gale Cengage Product Failure

2005up
Ford Service Manuals - 2005

rice-gobbler

Established Member
thank you. When the cats were re-installed i guess the mechanics figured it was throwing the cat converters code so they erased the check engine light im pretty sure it was trying to tell me something else. anyway after i installed the egr, dfpe sensor and cleaned the MAF and throttle body im still getting an awkward response from the car. There is no check engine light the engine seems to sputter a little less now that ive replaced the components but the issue is still there. when attempting to accelerate the exhaust does not sound the way it normally does its as if the a/r mixture is not correct and causing it to sound like its cammed or at least to me bc i know what its supposed to sound like. im going to drive it some more and hope a CEL comes on so i can find out what it is and il post the result

cmain78

Hesitation?

had bassani cat back on and decided to go bassani x o/r. i enjoyed it for a month and decided to put the cats back on after finding that the mil elminators were not working also because there was an exhaust leak. The day i noticed the mid pipe exhaust leak the idle was inconsistant it would not hang at 700rpm or so like normal and when cruising the lower rpm's the car would hesitate when i tried to accelerate. I read around the internet and my symptoms were 02 sensors but i wasnt 100% sure. When the muffler shop installed my catted x pipe they deleted the trouble code. The next day my car was doing the same thing i took someones advice and went with oem motorcraft o2 sensors b/c i could not check the trouble code since the muffler shop deleted it after putting on the cats so i was assuming it was the 02 sensors. well anyway i had the news ones installed and the car is running the same im going to clean the MAF and disconnect the battery (i dont know if this would do anything) but anyway thats where im at. i see alot of people are experiencing a similar problem. Since ive only messed with the exhaust id like to believe its the faulty 02 sensors and that disconnecting the battery would somehow allow the ecu to recognize the new sensors :shrug: dont mean to sound like a fool just looking for fellow advice thank you

Did you ever figure out what was up with the hesitation? Im expierencing the same thing and am baffeled----

Users who are viewing this thread