2014 Z28 vs BOSS 302 Laguna Seca

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
That car is all business. If it can hang or just be in the same ballpark as a GT3 or GTR I'll be thoroughly impressed.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
So the more expensive track car turned in a better time? Amazing

Im a huge fan of the 7L either way.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
^^^This thing is going to be like the COPO cars, very exclusive and you will be spreading your ass cheeks wide for the privilege of buying one..That said, it is an impressive car.

kaz109

Established Member
That car is all business. If it can hang or just be in the same ballpark as a GT3 or GTR I'll be thoroughly impressed.

GT3 runs a 11.2@126 with a NA 6cyl....this care is nowhere close to the same ballpark. A GTR isn't even in the same ballpark as a GT3

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Is it just me or is Chevy always playing 'catch up' Yes the Z/28 is faster than the Boss 302S but it is also two years to late. I would hope the Z/28 out performs given they had two years to create a rebuttal and more money into the car.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I know they are the same car, different body, but why didn't they get a 2013 Boss LS?

Also, this comparison is flawed from the beginning.

Boss is -61 down from the flywheel rated HP of the Z/28. Yes it's lighter, but and that weight different between the two may make up for it.

I'm sure the Boss suffers immensely from grip issues running a 255/285 tire setup, compared to the 305/315 setup on the Z/28. Then there is suspension setup.

IMO, I see it from the other way around. Ford took a car with "outdated" technology (SRA), smaller tires, and still kept within a decent time of the Z/28, and did this 2 years ago, before GM even thought about making the Z/28.

I'd like to see the Vorshlag TT3 Mustang would rip the Z/28 a new one. :D

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I know they are the same car, different body, but why didn't they get a 2013 Boss LS?

Also, this comparison is flawed from the beginning.

Boss is -61 down from the flywheel rated HP of the Z/28. Yes it's lighter, but and that weight different between the two may make up for it.

I'm sure the Boss suffers immensely from grip issues running a 255/285 tire setup, compared to the 305/315 setup on the Z/28. Then there is suspension setup.

IMO, I see it from the other way around. Ford took a car with "outdated" technology (SRA), smaller tires, and still kept within a decent time of the Z/28, and did this 2 years ago, before GM even thought about making the Z/28.

I'd like to see the Vorshlag TT3 Mustang would rip the Z/28 a new one. :D

They want to give the perception that its that much faster. Its an impressive car, but whats the point? its like the new Cobra R, no one will drive it the way its meant to be driven and its going to rare ( and expensive)

natedog_1959

Established Member
GM has already said the car would come in around $55-60k. I'm thinking the Boss LS with proper wheels and tires (say 295-305 width all the way around), better brakes and a small bump in power would keep up with the Z/28. Throw in some adjustable AST's, a watts link and front willwood carbon ceramic brakes and you are passing the Z/28 for the same money.

Wheels/tires: 2500
15" GT500 brakes: $1100 or Willwood CC: $7000
Intake, tune, exhaust: $1000
AST's: $3000
Watts Link: $1000

Total: $8,600-14,500.

Boss or Boss LS: $45-50k

Food for thought.

Nate

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
This car was supposed to launch in 2011 but GM took it all the way back to the drawing board.

Thank God they can now beat a car that isn't made anymore.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I don't understand the complaining about an OEM offering more HiPo options for the consumer? That is a good thing, and keeps things interesting between makers.

I think a Boss runs 255F/285R tires, and losing by over five seconds on a 2 min course isn't keeping it decent. It is a GM test, so you definitely have to question the outcome, but the Z28 will almost certainly crush the Boss, and shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

It's always easier to design something to beat an existing product, so props to the Boss for setting the benchmark. To say GM is always playing catch up is simply not true. They all do it. It all depends on where you are at in the product life cycle. Hopefully the stars align (ZL1 vs. Revised GT500), and you get an even comparison.

Last edited:

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Like the car, looks and sounds good, but I lol'd when he said he wanted to be in the GT3 area. Lol, have fun with that, GM. No way.

I'd still take the Boss over it just because I like Ford more, but that car is awesome. I can't wait to see one on the street and see what people do with them.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The competition is alive and well, GM has raised the bar, now Ford is going to raise the bar with the next Mustang.

Also they compared it to a Boss LS, NOT a Boss 302S (gutted rollcaged race car: 2014 Ford Mustang Boss 302S - Top Speed).

Like the car, looks and sounds good, but I lol'd when he said he wanted to be in the GT3 area. Lol, have fun with that, GM. No way.

I'd still take the Boss over it just because I like Ford more, but that car is awesome. I can't wait to see one on the street and see what people do with them.

I loled too, that is for the corvette to compete with not a z28.

Neverbdonegt

Established Member
The z28 is WAY to exspensive!! In the video with jay Leno driving the car they said the car would be around $70,000!!!!! I'm sorry that's just insane for anything that doesn't wear a z06 badge..

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I love the Boss and you can credit it for the creation of the Z/28 to begin with. That's win win. However, with that said, the LS was never going to stand a chance. In biased or unbiased testing.

It's down on power, it doesn't have as much grip, it doesn't break as well. The recipe is there to have it's ass handed to it.

I think it's a good thing though. If the Z/28 sells well, perhaps Ford will rebuke with something like a Boss 429. A boss with an all aluminum 6.2, carbon ceramic brakes...that I'd like to see.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
GM has already said the car would come in around $55-60k. I'm thinking the Boss LS with proper wheels and tires (say 295-305 width all the way around), better brakes and a small bump in power would keep up with the Z/28. Throw in some adjustable AST's, a watts link and front willwood carbon ceramic brakes and you are passing the Z/28 for the same money.

Wheels/tires: 2500
15" GT500 brakes: $1100 or Willwood CC: $7000
Intake, tune, exhaust: $1000
AST's: $3000
Watts Link: $1000

Total: $8,600-14,500.

Boss or Boss LS: $45-50k

Food for thought.

Nate

This is still a pointless argument.

Users who are viewing this thread