5.4L F150...Add Lightning Supercharger?

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Hey guys, i was just wondering how hard it would be to add a Lightning supercharger to my 03 F150? On fordtruckworld.com a guy did it and said it only cost him like 500 bucks but noone ever writes back on there!:nonono: I understand there a some things a little different between engines but i could tone the boost down a bit with a reasonable tune. Just wondering...thanks!:banana:

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Shouldn't be to hard at all, You need eaton, plenum, tb, intake, midplate, intake manifold, intercooler, some ic lines, I would recommend just deleting all the egr crap, heat exchanger and maybe a mounting bracket, ic pump, ic tank, stock L supercharger lower pulley, idler bracket, 42lb injectors. Almost all of that stuff is available on ebay. I have alot of it for sale myself, when I made the whipple swap. It would probably end up costing you around $1500-$2000

txyaloo

Established Member
A guy on here did it on his supercrew 4x4. I don't think it's worth it considering the cost and even weaker bottom end on the N/A F150's. Considering how cheap Lightnings are these days, it'd probably be better to use that $1500 as a down payment for a real one.

SADF

Established Member
There i a guy with a lift F series on here who did it. Can remember his name. Its white with big ole tires.

ecoastkid

Established Member
The bottom end isnt much weaker then ours...same rods...maybe slightly weaker pistons, and a cast iron crank instead of a steal one(Still good for 1K hp)...I wouldnt worry about that at all.

I'm putting one on my expy when my truck is done. Mad enterprises specializes in it and can give you info. One thing is you will be missing iat2....that guy told me just to extend it and plug it in where iat2 goes. Then fix in the tune and its fine. (I guess iat1 isnt that important.

*edit The guy with the jacked up white f150 is Z7What

Last edited:

FlaHP

Established Member
If he got all the parts for $500 he stole them.

Just turkey pan to TB your looking at $1000 if you can find a set up used and then you would want an 01-04 at that.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Yeh i'd have to find a shop here around Oklahoma City to do it too! Urgh...maybe i'll just steal my dad's lightning and never come back. On a serious note, has anyone seen that guy on here lately? Im hoping he can chime in on how much it cost him and what all he did and needed for his swap.

todd abbott

Established Member
I'm thinking just do a motor swap, say 1500 for a good used long block pan to blower, pull one drop the L' motor in done, the right find could give you all the extras, heat exchanger, radiator, lines, harness and computer, injectors, maf, air box you get the idea, as for 500.00 for the whole deal, I really think that's thin, unless you get a lot of gifts or your working for midnight auto salvage.

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
I've done it and I'm the one that installed Z7What's setup. If you shop around you can do the swap on the N/A for about $2500. Upgrades will cost more.

I dropped an NEW 04 OEM L longblock in mine and have loved it since. I love it so much I turned around and bought an L 2 years ago!! Watch out, it's contagious.

I did it because my truck F150 4x4 supercrew wasn't offered with enough arse. I'd have to say that I'd think long and hard before doing the swap on a single cab F150 seeing as you can get L's in good shape for as low as 13K these days.

Is your truck paid off? If you still want to do it, I'll be more than happy to help you out and get you lined up on what parts you need. I've noticed alot of swaps available now even with the long block.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i have one in my f150 supercab. correction, HAD one. it was installed by DMP via the previous owner though. i blew the motor like an idiot though. i then picked up an actual L short block and threw that in. it works great and my truck hauls ass! :burnout:

although i just found it has a stock lower on it and was told by the seller that it had a 4lb. :( so now im looking to put a 4 or 6 on it and really make it move out!

it'll make your truck a real sleeper if you dont "lightning" it out. people will think its just a regular old f150 until you leave them in your dust! :rockon:

Z7What