6r80 swap specific questions

terminal5

Established Member
Hey. Thinking hard about switching out the mt82 for an auto in my 2011 Canadian Brembo car. A few questions:

1. Should a donor car’s ECU also be Canadian spec?

2. I’ve read “get the computer and harness from the same year car”. Does the harness really make a difference? Is there a number for a new OE harness I can use?

3. Since there were no 2011 auto Brembo cars and they are supposed to have “unique” ABS settings, am I going to have more trouble with lights on the dash? Should I get the ABS module from the same donor car to avoid issues?

Want to be sure I know what I’m getting into before diving in. Really hate lights on the dash and don’t want the car down for an extended period trying to chase electronic gremlins that I don’t understand. Thanks!

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I've done a swap the other way, but some of your questions are mutually exclusive between the swaps. I'll respond inline:

1. Should a donor car’s ECU also be Canadian spec? -- I don't know the answer to this as I matched US for US on all modules and components I swapped. However, a good rule of thumb to make things easier is to do it as much 1:1 as you possibly can.

2. I’ve read “get the computer and harness from the same year car”. Does the harness really make a difference? Is there a number for a new OE harness I can use? -- The harness is different for the auto between 11/12 and 13/14. So, if you're swapping in a 6R80 from an 11/12 into your 11' get a harness for that model year.

3. Since there were no 2011 auto Brembo cars and they are supposed to have “unique” ABS settings, am I going to have more trouble with lights on the dash? Should I get the ABS module from the same donor car to avoid issues? -- This was a fun learning experience. Order an ABS module that matches a VIN for the model year of the PCM that you swapped in. If your PCM going into your car is from an 11 auto, get the VIN off that PCM from the donor and order that exact matched ABS module.

terminal5

Established Member
Ok, that clarifies a few things, thanks.

I spent some time looking up part numbers/ECM codes/strategies of available VINs for 2011 cars for sale, both US and CDN models. There is some overlap so I don’t see that being an issue. Also don’t see differences in vehicle options playing any significant role. I suspect it will be fine to use any ECM for a 2011 auto car (sticking to 2011 probably wise) and getting the same harness also.

Wanting to go with a used F150 trans though as they are at least half the price of the Mustang units. I’m assuming the harness hooks up the same. I should stick to an ‘11 or ‘12 still for model year compatibility?

I agree, it makes sense to order a new ABS module and trans harness etc. for the same VIN I’m ordering the ECM for. Found an auto car for sale online built within a week of mine with the same equipment other than it has the security package and obviously no Brembo package. Probably as close as I’ll get.

Users who are viewing this thread