96-98 VS Terminator. A fresh take

WarMachine233

First and foremost I am sure there is a thread already started on this question but I wanted fresh opinions.

I am in the market for either a 96-98 or an 03-04 Cobra.

I understand the two cars are entirely different from each other on price and performance.

The biggest thing that I need info on is overall reliability as a daily driver. I bought a 2016 Fiesta ST 6 months ago (brand new, first owner with only 7 miles on her) and have already put on 14.5k miles. Yes you read that right  Driving is like a hobby to me and I love a good cruise on the regular.

Off the bat I know very little about the Terminator. Aside from the Iron block I have very little knowledge of the Termis.

The SN95 Cobra on the other hand I know a little bit more about. I have owned two Lincoln Mark 8s (1996 and 1998) and I know the aluminum block DOHC 4.6 speaks for itself in terms of longevity. Due to that I lean more towards the SN95. That and I like the sleeker lines on the SN95.

It has been awhile since I owned a powerful V8 since I sold my 2002 Lightning and for the first few years of owning either Cobra I do not plan on doing any sort of heavy modding so I can get myself back into the groove of driving a V8.

I am looking to buy an 03-04 with around 40-60k miles and want to know what the overall maintenance is like on a Cobra with high miles like this.

As for the SN95 I am also wondering the same but plan on picking one up with 60-110k miles.

A bit scattered are my thoughts on this thread but this should be enough to get started for now.

Thank you for all advice!
Brooks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
unless highly modded neither should need much in the way of maintenance, nothing more than any other car of that age in my opinion. Fluids and filters, check hoses and tires for dry rot, bushings, ball joints etc... I would be more concerned about age related items than mileage wear.

The IMRCs on the older Cobras are the only extra thing that immediately comes to mind as they can get gummed up and not open/close correctly. They have some kind of delete kit for them, not sure if any tune adjustments are required.

WarMachine233

unless highly modded neither should need much in the way of maintenance, nothing more than any other car of that age in my opinion. Fluids and filters, check hoses and tires for dry rot, bushings, ball joints etc... I would be more concerned about age related items than mileage wear.

The IMRCs on the older Cobras are the only extra thing that immediately comes to mind as they can get gummed up and not open/close correctly. They have some kind of delete kit for them, not sure if any tune adjustments are required.
So pretty much as long as the car is cared for/continue to be cared for propely there isnt any sort of common issue with these cars? I would like to find one that I could drive back and forth to work in and rack up another 50k miles on

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
theres nothing I can think of offhand that would make me reconsider doing so, hell I think one guy on here has over 200k on his terminator.

Mustangs have always been prone to killing throwout bearings, terminators with bigger crank pullies can be hard on alternators...stuff like that but theres no major OMG this will definitely happen and cost you a fortune type things assuming you arent buying a modded and dogged out car.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
This shouldnt even be a debate. If money is non issue, 03/04 ALL THE WAY. If your budget is restricted, 96-98 will do nicely.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
OP I feel like you may want to drive a couple examples of each car, so you can better appreciate either one you choose.. but I'll say that I think to get a 96-98 that is already on par or to get one up to par with an 03-04, you might end up spending similar money.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Buy an SN95 and build it up. Make it your own.
You can find clean SN95s with under 60k miles for less than $8k

Users who are viewing this thread