99 cobra vs 2007 350z

arc00ta

Established Member
Well, my roommate followed me to go pick up some wheels today so we had a quick go on the freeway. He has a bone stock down to the paper filters 350z.

We went from 60 roll and let out pretty quickly, he was in 4th and I was in 3rd, he basically pulled me like I threw out an anchor. I had no chance at all, which chalks up my first loss in a few years and the only race in my cobra since I've owned it.

I'm still getting used to driving a stock 320hp car, not a modified car that made 550hp or more, so I guess its not too bad. My mods are C&L intake, JBA catback, some kind of aftermarket catted H I don't know the brand, and thats it. I keep feeling like the car isn't making the power its supposed to, it has had the power fix recall done on it but it still feels awful slow for 300hp. This race should have been a little closer being that both cars weigh about the same and have the same hp range. What do you guys think?

pacific4v

Established Member
Yea I was expecting to read about how u but a good 3-4 cars on him. I was under the impression a bolt on new edge gt could beat a 350z. Get some 4.30s and a tune and it'll be a different story for sure

arc00ta

Established Member
I let off at about 90 and he had 4 or more cars on me. I'm not sure why I would be so down on power nothing feels wrong when I drive and compression was good.

arc00ta

Established Member
We will go again tomorrow and I will get a video. I don't really feel any shame over it but I am concerned how poorly my car did.

sdg97232

Established Member
a buddy of mine has a new 370z and is a nissan freak all around. he told me the 07 was the 1st year with the new "vq35hr" the older z's with the "de" motor was a good race with new edge gt's. the hr motor he said was under rated by nissan at 306hp he said most bone stock put high 270 low 280 hp to the wheels.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
a buddy of mine has a new 370z and is a nissan freak all around. he told me the 07 was the 1st year with the new "vq35hr" the older z's with the "de" motor was a good race with new edge gt's. the hr motor he said was under rated by nissan at 306hp he said most bone stock put high 270 low 280 hp to the wheels.

They aren't underrated and don't put out that much stock. 2008-2008 HR 350Z's put down about 260 to the wheels. They are fairly quick and decently faster than the DE models (2003-2006).

Fastest recorded stock 1/4 run for an HR was 13.1.

sdg97232

Established Member
They aren't underrated and don't put out that much stock. 2008-2008 HR 350Z's put down about 260 to the wheels. They are fairly quick and decently faster than the DE models (2003-2006).

Fastest recorded stock 1/4 run for an HR was 13.1.

ill have to call him out on that...lol.....he had a 07 he said it made 274 to the wheels stock on the mustang dyno at panhandle performance...after looking around the z forums looks like must put mid 260 down stock. looks like it dont take very many mods to get 295-300 whp out of them!

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
ill have to call him out on that...lol.....he had a 07 he said it made 274 to the wheels stock on the mustang dyno at panhandle performance...after looking around the z forums looks like must put mid 260 down stock. looks like it dont take very many mods to get 295-300 whp out of them!

They do seem to respond better to boltons vs the older ones. What I find surprising is that, so far, no one has posted a faster time in one of the newer 370Z's yet (bone stock).

The 370Z's, however, have been doing mid-high 12's with just boltons though.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
With my stock 3.27s, it would go 80 in second. You started in third. Race him again from second instead of third, or just go from a dig.

arc00ta

Established Member
Theres something wrong here.....

I agree, I feel like I should have at least kept close, his car is practically brand new and I have no idea what kinds of abuse mine has seen over the last 11 years. But It should have been closer. I would start in 2nd but my car feels like it completely fall off after about 4500rpm, it wont pull at all except very very slowly.

Drazga

Established Member
i used to beat them all the time in my bolton gt. i killed numerous 350z's/g35's and with 4.10s i outran a G37S by 2 cars. something is wrong here. why were you doing a 60 roll with 300hp cars anyway? go from a 40, its not like your racing 500fwhp civics.

sdg97232

Established Member
I agree, I feel like I should have at least kept close, his car is practically brand new and I have no idea what kinds of abuse mine has seen over the last 11 years. But It should have been closer. I would start in 2nd but my car feels like it completely fall off after about 4500rpm, it wont pull at all except very very slowly.

i would have your car checked out before you race it again, id have a leak down test done on it asap! the 4v should be coming to life at 4500 not running out of steam.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
i used to beat them all the time in my bolton gt. i killed numerous 350z's/g35's and with 4.10s i outran a G37S by 2 cars. something is wrong here. why were you doing a 60 roll with 300hp cars anyway? go from a 40, its not like your racing 500fwhp civics.

I agree...OP you should have pulled him or at least kept up better. I ran a G35 in my GT from a 60 roll and we were dead even up to around 110-115. 350Z's are obviously lighter, but you've got more horsepower than me so I would expect it would be a closer race.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I think driver fail. Would call this a driver's race on paper and your friend outdrove you.

Like someone said drop into 2nd and race at 4k. 4V Cobra's are better top end and higher RPM.

I have a 99 Cobra with 3.73 and would likely start in 2nd at 60 so with stock 3.27 you should definately be in second

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
How many miles are on your cobra? Ever use seafoam? Have the spark plugs been changed recently? Any noticeable hesitation/ cutting out at higher rpms?

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I just couldn't resist responding to a 350z and Cobra race.

03-05 were the "DE" years, 06 was the "REV up" year, and the 07-08 were the "HR" years. The 03-05 are pretty low on the totem pole although they do have the highest torque of all the years. They read in the ~230hp on a mustang dyno. The 06 year runs around the same I believe. The 07-08 "HR"s should be around 250hp or so. Edit: Also important to note that the 03-06 are the lightest, the 07-08 are somewhat heavier.

Last, the big one. The 370z's I've seen can make anywhere from 260-mid 280's hp. Everything from 15-20% drive train loss has been found but whatever. And I've only ever heard one person say the 370z's torque numbers are underrated. Whatever, they're just numbers. Edit: 370z's 3232 curb weight is a lie, it's a bit heavier than that.

I honestly think your race was just that: a driver's a race... but 4 cars? Something's up with that, I find it hard to believe he got you that much. But hey anything can happen on the road! Sounds like its time for more mods! :rockon::rockon:

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1, last time on a tune up. they do come alive on the top end and why people suggest numerically higher gears, 4.10's or 4.30's, to get you in the upper power band where they make power. I would also get it on a dyno to see what it's putting down and where power is peaking off.
I had one pass me on friday on a two lane road. we both got on the interstate but he didn't want any. No one here wants to try me for some reason. when i live back in the southeast, everyone tried to mess with me. Definitely when i lived in Panama city and that's cool panhandle performance is still there. I remember going there alot of times back in 1999-2002.

Users who are viewing this thread