About to buy my first Fox

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
At the end of this month I plan to pick up a friends 92 LX notch. I have always loved them but never owned one. I've owned a Terminator and SN95 Cobra though so I'm not new to mustangs.

I knew about the forged pistons in the OEM engine because back in the 90s my friends used to spray the piss out of em. LOL. Lately I've been reading up a little bit on the platform. Seems the general consensus is the block is the weak spot. Then I suppose the cast crank is next. I am buying a very low miles near stock car. I don't want to make it stupid fast but I would like it to be respectable and quick. I'd like to have it do 120-125 mph trap speeds in the 1/4 mile. Can I get there reliably with the stock block with a turbo or small centri? What RWHP would that take? 400ish?

CNTLOSE

It is what it is...
Established Member
If it is a late '92 build it is possible it has the hypereutectic pistons...just FYI. Of course if you're tearing into it that won't matter. Congrats!

trollnstroll

Established Member
450whp will get your trap speed you want, and will be the limits of the stock block. Do it how you want; blower, n20, turbo...My opinion, the turbo will be the least amount of stress on the block.

Dig Race

Established Member
Rpm will kill the block before hp will so the turbo might last longer but they are still a toss up

earico

Established Member
Thanks for all the info fellas. It's greatly appreciated. I've been Googling all kinds of stuff. LOL

crazycarlo

Established Member
the general concensus is 500rwhp is pretty stretched. Some live with it that long and some break at 450. make sure it has a good tune. Most people either switch to an aftermarket block OR go 5.8 which isnt that hard or $$ really. They say those motors are good to 700 with good hardware. I have a 90 notch as my toy.

earico

Established Member
the general concensus is 500rwhp is pretty stretched. Some live with it that long and some break at 450. make sure it has a good tune. Most people either switch to an aftermarket block OR go 5.8 which isnt that hard or $$ really. They say those motors are good to 700 with good hardware. I have a 90 notch as my toy.

Yeah I agree on the block. Even though 450-500 rwhp is all i would ever want I would rather it be built with some margin of error. So a block will be in order.

I've pretty much decided to do all the suspension stuff first. Wheels, 31 spline, welded tubes, 5 lug, disc brakes and etc, etc. Power will be the last thing I add and it will more than likely be a mild cam turbo build with a T56 so it is more of a comfortable cruiser.

Dig Race

Established Member
400hp in a fox can get you in the 10s... That being said 450-500 can make a fun easy 10 sec street car. It's all suspension, they just flex so damn much factory

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
get yourself an A4 block, truck block OR R block or mexican block/ 351 block, all those factory blocks are stronger then the stock 5.0 block, stock 302 mustang block is good to 450-500rwhp. the 351 and mexican/ truck blocks seem good to 500-600+rwhp. A4 and R block / old school ford motorsport blocks are good to 700-800+rwhp. or go all out aftermarket Dart block, ford racing / boss block are good for 1000++++rwhp.

I run a truck block in my with aftermarket pistons, stock rods and stock crank with arp hardware.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
Yeah dont go over 600 on the stock block unless you like building and swapping motors at undertermined intervals lol.

Here is the motor I am currently replacing:

0706162312d.jpg

Originally thought I just blew the head gasket at the #7 and #8 cylinders. Also saw this on #5. Good times. Crack gets bigger as it goes deeper and wider down the skirt couldn't get a good pic of it though.

Last edited:

earico

Established Member
Well nothing has happened since I bought it. I've just been enjoying it as is. Snapped an axle on the GTR and had to repair that. I'll start messing with the Fox this summer.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I've had a number of foxes and went through a number of different combinations. My favorite was knock off Chinese heads/intake and custom cam 347. Trapped 115+ all day long in a full weight LX hatch with a/c and all.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I would go 351 for sure.

Find a 94+ roller block, decent heads, etc. Wouldn't even need the turbo to make 450-500 wheel with the right parts....

Users who are viewing this thread