Adding cooling fans to heat exchanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVSCobra

Established Member
I was thinking that it would be a great idea to add two cooling fans to the heat exchanger. I searched the forums first and only found related information on the GT500 forum. Has another one added cooling fans to the heat exchanger? Also was there a big difference in IAT2 temps? I would think that the greatest benefit would be back to back runs and being able to cool down quick at the track.

KILRSVT

Established Member
i have dual fans om ny heat exchanger....i have no idea how they are wired up..i guess it does help to drop iat when at idle but i dont think they are much help when the car is rolling.

svt2ner

Established Member
Theres a kit somewhere but the gains are minimal.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Not worth the time, money, or effort for such minimal, if any, drop in IAT's.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I have fans on mine and when you are stopped the coolant temp will cool down.... I don't think that would be the case without. I like having them...

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I have them on mine and I can tell you where they help the most is with the car turned of, the fans and the I/C pump on. I have been at the track on a cool night (in the 50's) and felt the water in the I/C tank become ice cool within 5 to 10 minutes.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I have fans on mine and when you are stopped the coolant temp will cool down.... I don't think that would be the case without. I like having them...

I have them on mine and I can tell you where they help the most is with the car turned of, the fans and the I/C pump on. I have been at the track on a cool night (in the 50's) and felt the water in the I/C tank become ice cool within 5 to 10 minutes.

I understand what you guys are saying, but at highway speeds or faster (where most street driven cars are run) the fans, at best, don't have much of an impact on cooling down the fluid in the H/E. At worst they pose as an airflow restriction.

I'd spend my money elsewhere.

moonltgold

The very marginal cooling benefit you get (thus theoretically a small increase in hp), just gets offset by the additional draw on the alternator running the fans (probably 5-8 hp), so you get zero benefit.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
In stop and go driving they help to cool the car down.... I can sit at a light after a pull and the car will cool down. Unless you have a temp indicator of the fluid temp you would not see this. I can see them actually working so to me they are worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread