Advice to all who develop a squeaky belt....

Willie

Established Member
My story.... Developed a squeak (you could call it chirping) that would go away as the engine warmed up. First thought it was belt squeal. At the recommendation of a vendor, I installed a Thump tensioner. It is significantly stronger than the stock unit. Result: Still squeaked.
Accessory Drive Belt Routing - 5.4L.JPG

Second attempt: Replaced #6 idler. Result: Still squeaked.
Third attempt: Replaced #2 idler. Result: Still squeaked.
Fourth attempt: Replaced #7 idler. Result: Still squeaked.

What the heck? All that's remaining is the blower itself and the A/C compressor! So I began to wonder if the blower bearing was the culprit. I removed the fill plug and no oil trickled out. I got my syringe out and ended up putting in 23 mL of oil...! Result: Took it for a drive and within 4 miles, the squealing stopped. I let it sit overnight and this morning, started it. NO MORE SQUEAL....

So if you develop a belt squeal, the simplest thing I recommend you do is check your blower fluid. I ended up spending over $800 and weeks of aggravation and embarassment, not knowing that a $6 bottle of supercharger oil, which I already had, would have solved my problem.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I had this on my first GT500. I was told it was "normal" when using a Metco pulley. I never liked that answer, but I just dealt with it. If I get it again on my current GT500, I will check the oil level first! Thanks for the write up!

Dinosgt

Established Member
My story.... Developed a squeak (you could call it chirping) that would go away as the engine warmed up. First thought it was belt squeal. At the recommendation of a vendor, I installed a Thump tensioner. It is significantly stronger than the stock unit. Result: Still squeaked.
View attachment 84002

Second attempt: Replaced #6 idler. Result: Still squeaked.
Third attempt: Replaced #2 idler. Result: Still squeaked.
Fourth attempt: Replaced #7 idler. Result: Still squeaked.

What the heck? All that's remaining is the blower itself and the A/C compressor! So I began to wonder if the blower bearing was the culprit. I removed the fill plug and no oil trickled out. I got my syringe out and ended up putting in 23 mL of oil...! Result: Took it for a drive and within 4 miles, the squealing stopped. I let it sit overnight and this morning, started it. NO MORE SQUEAL....

So if you develop a belt squeal, the simplest thing I recommend you do is check your blower fluid. I ended up spending over $800 and weeks of aggravation and embarassment, not knowing that a $6 bottle of supercharger oil, which I already had, would have solved my problem.

Great post - Thanks Wille. I didnt know there was a fill for the TVS. Can you share the location for checking and filling? Is there a "best" fluid to add?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great post that hopefully will help others going forward. Always good when you uncover the cause of an issue like that. :)

Willie

Established Member
What's the maintenance interval on blower oil? Didn't know it needed servicing.

Not sure but either it's every 100k miles or there isn't one...

Great post - Thanks Wille. I didnt know there was a fill for the TVS. Can you share the location for checking and filling? Is there a "best" fluid to add?

I have an original FRPP TVS and it has a full plug in front, just to the side of the pulley. It takes an Allen wrench, but it has a tendency to get really tight with time. Make sure you don't strip it, yikes! I felt there was a real potential of stripping it, so I used an air rachet, which worked.

I don't know if there is a "best" fluid. Many opinions and as many different answers. I use this:
Supercharger Oil.jpeg

Dinosgt

Established Member
Not sure but either it's every 100k miles or there isn't one...

I have an original FRPP TVS and it has a full plug in front, just to the side of the pulley. It takes an Allen wrench, but it has a tendency to get really tight with time. Make sure you don't strip it, yikes! I felt there was a real potential of stripping it, so I used an air rachet, which worked.

I don't know if there is a "best" fluid. Many opinions and as many different answers. I use this:
View attachment 84021

Great info. Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread