Another option now for tires

Cman01

hello
Established Member
It looks like the new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tire is avail in OE size for our cars and is also avail in a 275/40/19 size for the front and 305/35/20 rear.

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/brands/firestone/firehawkindy500/

This tire could give the MPSS a run for its money, it has wicked grip based on all the reviews I've read online.

Tony

edit: sizing also avail for Z06 :) (mine's due for a tire change the B/stone RE050 RFT are 8 years old now)

Last edited:

Ablaze

Established Member
The reviews really look great. One guy with a supercharged GT says they grip really well from a roll..

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I have run Firehawks in the past on my older Cobras and they were excellent tires. I had the MPSS's on my 2014 GT500 the whole time I owned it and loved those tires. Now Michelin has the 4S Pilots which are the new standard for all high end performance tires but they don't have the OE size yet for the 13/14 GT500's. For the price point on those Firehawks at $654 for the set of 4 in OE size I say its worth trying them out. Once I get back into another 13/14 GT500 I would try them. They do get excellent reviews. You can't even buy the rear MPSS's for the GT500's for that $654 cost.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&frontTire=64WR9FHI5&rearTire=835WR0FHI5&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Mustang Shelby GT500&autoModClar=Coupe

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Some sizes are B/O right now. I've been trying to find 245/45/17 size for my daily (Suzuki SX4). Last month I redid the suspension on it (4 new struts/shocks, mounts and lowered it with Eibach springs), got a performance alignment done on it with more -camber and bought a set of 17x8" wheels to run these tires.

I wanted to try these tires out on this car before trying them out on the other 2 cars........................yes probably a bit overkill for my daily but I wanted to have some fun with the car after doing the work on it.

deletednow2017

Established Member
I've heard these tires are nearly unmatched in terms of performance per dollar. I went with MPSS as my first set of tires on my car but now I run with ET S/S. You really cannot beat the S/S in terms of hooking vs. daily-driveable. The biggest issue is its soft R2 compound. I expect my tires to last 6k miles, if that. The plus is I hook with 700-800whp on 20" wheels.

Every tire has plus/minuses. If you have any further comments or just want to chat, let me know.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
There's not a huge difference between A and AA and this rating is tested as wet traction not dry.

From TireRack's site:

"Traction Grades
UTQG Traction Grades are based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across the specified test surfaces. The UTQG traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance.

The Traction Grade is determined by installing properly inflated test tires on the instrumented axle of a "skid trailer." The skid trailer is pulled behind a truck at a constant 40 mph over wet asphalt and wet concrete test surfaces. Its brakes are momentarily locked and the axle sensors measure the tire's coefficient of friction (braking g forces) as it slides. Since this test evaluates a sliding tire at a constant 40 mph, it places more emphasis on the tire's tread compound and less emphasis on its tread design.

In 1997, the UTQG Traction Grades were revised to provide a new category of AA for the highest performing tires in addition to the earlier A, B and C grades. Previously the A grade had been the highest available and was awarded to tires that offered wet coefficients of traction above 0.47 g on asphalt and 0.35 g on concrete. Today the grades and their traction coefficients are as follows:

Traction Asphalt Concrete
Grades g-Force g-Force

AA Above 0.54 0.38
A Above 0.47 0.35
B Above 0.38 0.26
C Less Than 0.38 0.26

Unfortunately the immediate value of this change to tire buyers will be limited. Use of the AA grade will first be seen on new tires that are introduced after the standard was enacted and will then appear later on tires that have had the required wet traction all along, but were introduced when the single A was the highest available grade."

The difference is minor but the price difference between this tire and MPSS in the same tire sizes is huge.

10GT500

Established Member
Has anyone tired these firestones yet?

Also, Toyo started making the R888's in 285/25/20 and 305/35/20. I know there are a few guys out there running 4.10s with the 305s.

Clemson

Established Member
I might try them simply for the price. But ultimately, dont expect them to be much better than the Goodyears. Also speed rating is only 165, for what thats worth.

sono

Established Member
I'd be interested to see how they perform vs the nt05r. Once people found out wet traction was decent it's hard to imagine better.

sono

Established Member
fair enough, but I through away labels a ways back. Mine is not a tracker just a dd. The mpss is the bar I guess. Somebody needs to give us a review vs mpss.

IllCobra

Established Member
Has anyone tired these firestones yet?

Also, Toyo started making the R888's in 285/25/20 and 305/35/20. I know there are a few guys out there running 4.10s with the 305s.
I thought they had discontinued the R888's??

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I run the Indy 500 on my Charger Hellcat spare wheels and they are VERY impressive.
Basically a high end Bridgestone for budget price.
I would still never give up DRs on my GT500 or Hellcat for dry use.
-J

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Found this thread on another mb, seems the indy 500 looks very similiar to an older b/stone track tire.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1280922

I'm sure the compounds are very different between the two tires and b/stone and firestone are like the same company (bstone owns fstone, much like michelin owns bfg and uniroyal).

Be sure to read that thread completely there's a tirerack video test of the 500 tire.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Found this thread on another mb, seems the indy 500 looks very similiar to an older b/stone track tire.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1280922

I'm sure the compounds are very different between the two tires and b/stone and firestone are like the same company (bstone owns fstone, much like michelin owns bfg and uniroyal).

Be sure to read that thread completely there's a tirerack video test of the 500 tire.
Actually in my research the Indy 500 is a rebranded Bridgestone for the North American market. No changes to tread or compound, just sidewall name. Mine say made in Asia (maybe Japan?).
If made in our sizes I would definitely recommend them for those not willing to run competition spec rubber (DR or R888 type)
-J

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Will a 325 fit without any modifications except for wider rim?

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
325/30/20. Sport cup 2. Brain fart. My bad. Spent the day with my wife so I guess I was tired of explaining myself.

Users who are viewing this thread