Back in a Cobra

RichM1983

Established Member
So I finally felt financially stable enough to get back into a Cobra after owning a couple in the past. They are kind of hard to come by in my neck of the woods and my budget was pretty low.

I ended up getting screwed in the deal because I let the guy selling it drive it on the test drive and he hid the fact that the syncros from 2-3 and 3-4 are totally shot and it grinds like a SOB between those gears. I checked all the potential simple causes. I guess I'll be pulling the transmission and rebuilding it. I think I should be able to tackle it on my own. The car is a little rough around the edges but I knew that when I picked it up as that is really all my budget allows. The great thing about it is that I don't think the car has ever been modded beyond an intake. The blower and the rest of the motor don't look to have been taken apart. The factory paint marks on various bolts haven't been touched and the heads of the bolts look untouched.

The bad include an interior that needs cleaned and the carpet replaced, a new shift boot and knob, and maybe some dark charcoal spray paint on some worm trim pieces. I hate the wheels and plan to put on a set of stock brushed or chrome rims. The front bumper needs painted and the bezels/fogs/chin spoiler installed. One spot of damage right behind the passenger door needs fixed.

I think I ended up with a neglected stocker that can be brought back. I will enjoy the process. It just might cost a little more than I expected.

The guy that sold it to me is a POS Douche bag though!!!

6BFEE391-DC10-417E-BB5F-1EAD2DAED6CC_zpsdgaoxz2r.jpg

5B986AF2-04FE-4151-8BEB-FF5D27674FB0_zpsbpxywx1d.jpg

7E5B6D27-7123-4182-B701-2277951E3112_zpsel8jqht1.jpg

Look at that pulley cover!! haha
C36547AE-C87D-4E8F-8370-9988AFED5E5E_zpsybxivxmg.jpg

ATFPat

Established Member
Good luck! Nice to see a cobra that's appreciated and will clean up great! There was one local to me where the guy wanted to drive it and not allow anyone else too. I get the point of it in a sense of having a person look at it and beat the crap out of it but also how can you as a buyer really get a feel for the car.

I almost bit due to the amount of Cobras for sale around me at the time which was only a few.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Well sometimes its fun to have a project car, get the body work finished and give the rest of the car some TLC and she'll be perfect

RichM1983

Established Member
Good luck! Nice to see a cobra that's appreciated and will clean up great! There was one local to me where the guy wanted to drive it and not allow anyone else too. I get the point of it in a sense of having a person look at it and beat the crap out of it but also how can you as a buyer really get a feel for the car.

I almost bit due to the amount of Cobras for sale around me at the time which was only a few.

Yeah I understand that. I sell cars all the time. I make extra money on the side doing that and I never let anyone drive the car I'm selling. I guess I'm naive though and didn't think anyone would so blatantly screw someone else over. How crazy am I?? lol.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Congrats sorry about the d-bag seller that's shady. Happy to hear you are going to fix it up.

Palmer

Established Member
Nothing wrong with buying a car that needs some love. I like seeing the update threads on cars like this. Good luck with it!

RichM1983

Established Member
Yeah it feels great. Sometimes I second guess the decision I made to buy this one but when I get home from work and I see that sinister looking front end waiting for me I realize why I did it lol. The 03/04 Cobra has to be the best looking Mustang of all time.

Lycosa

Established Member
Sucks about the seller though. If it is what you want and it is what you could afford then who cares. If you are willing to do the work to fix minor things then who cares. Not everyone can afford a pristine 2k mile cobra. Aside from the obvious issues is everything else good on it or were there other hidden surprises?

RichM1983

Established Member
Sucks about the seller though. If it is what you want and it is what you could afford then who cares. If you are willing to do the work to fix minor things then who cares. Not everyone can afford a pristine 2k mile cobra. Aside from the obvious issues is everything else good on it or were there other hidden surprises?

I think everything is in pretty good shape mechanically other than the transmission. I haven't dug into it yet to check everything but as time and funds allow I will bring it back. Should be getting the paint work done soon.

RichM1983

Established Member
I got the car painted. I'm still on the shitty Cobra R's but I hope that I have a different set of rims by summer but we'll see. Funds are low as always.

IMG_4257_zpskzcxjghi.jpg

IMG_4256_zpslepifq6h.jpg

IMG_4244_zps9k1mybdg.jpg

IMG_4263_zpse1vuqu1i.jpg

Last edited:

RichM1983

Established Member
Another shot of the car. Hate the rims but from this angle you can't see the shitty Cobra R's that well lol.
IMG_4261_zpsrgcgy1sd.jpg

Here is some of the interior cleaning I've done. I still have a lot left to do on the inside but this is a start.

So I've read on here the best way to renew the alcantara in our cars is to take 1000 grit sandpaper to it. It takes the little fuzzies off of it and makes it look nice again. I've done it before and it works pretty well. I did a search and can't find a before and after in here.

A little history. I bought this car last fall with 80k. Overall it needed some attention. The seats had stains and the alcantara on the drivers seat was looking fuzzy or wooly, not smooth like it should. I figured I'd take a before and after to show the results of what some Blue Coral and 1000 grit did for me. My seats were stained so I didn't hesitate to use the Blue Coral. I know there are other methods to treat the alcantara that may be safer on pristine seats.

All I did was roll up the sand paper and wipe from side to side with moderate pressure. I was careful on the edges not to sand the leather. It is a pretty simple process. The after pics look dark because the alcantara is still wet from the Blue Coral.

4c81ae31-936d-4770-8bc3-3af77ae39a06_zpsbgzm3nyq.jpg

5be42e91-ccdc-4d7f-a50b-dfe63cda7d5e_zpsfemjoywm.jpg

8b6928c2-da32-44f2-8cbd-c1da79188a4b_zpsqyauldep.jpg

Here is a final shot after drying.
IMG_4303_zpspmeihxjy.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread