Bad Luck

kwarnerjr

Established Member
So I recently had an axle replacement, sub woofer amp replacement, Intercooler Pump replacement, and Clutch replacement...all in 2017.

Last night I was back at the drag strip and on my first pass while warming up my DRs I heard a loud smack. I proceeded to make the pass and by the end I knew something bad had happened. The car had a very loud squeak from the rear end. Safe to safe the axle was again toast. I got the car home thankfully and upon some investigation I found one of my BMR Lower Control Arms had been damaged as well. I assume that when the axle broke the energy moved to the lower c arm and found its focal point in the bushing causing a crack.
058604d875c36a6268d6718cb331cb51.jpg

Is it possible that I got two lemon axles from Ford? Or is the OE axle just an inferior part for the Trinity?

That said, do you guys have any recommendations on stronger aftermarket axles?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NIXDSG

Established Member
I had a BMR bushing fail on mine too, but not due to an axle failure, just found that it failed during inspection. My path in "not having an axle failure" ended with a Moser M9.

It started with trying to fortify the stock axle by welding tubes, Moser axles, 9" ends, pinion cap supports, ..... None of this worked. After the initial install is was great on the street, quiet. One trip to the track and a mediocre launch and is gears sang like a tired baby and the Moser axle was twisted.

My suggestion is install a 9" axle and be done with it.

NIXDSG

Beercules

Established Member
You can get stronger after market axles from strange, but any launch will make the 8.8 gears noisy.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No relation to the axle failure causing the bushing failure, both just a side effect of a hard DR launch.
If you're experiencing wheel hop, it's brutal on parts.
Ideally, try a bias-ply tire, MT now makes a 17" ET Street R bias.
If you're going into the 8.8" a gear swap to 3.73s-4.10s is almost mandatory for your clutch and better strip performance. Good luck.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a BMR bushing fail on mine too, but not due to an axle failure, just found that it failed during inspection. My path in "not having an axle failure" ended with a Moser M9.

It started with trying to fortify the stock axle by welding tubes, Moser axles, 9" ends, pinion cap supports, ..... None of this worked. After the initial install is was great on the street, quiet. One trip to the track and a mediocre launch and is gears sang like a tired baby and the Moser axle was twisted.

My suggestion is install a 9" axle and be done with it.

NIXDSG
Agreed, this is the last 8.8 my car will have, 9" swap if this one doesn't hold.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread