Belt walking back on lower pulley

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Ok , this is a little strange. My blower belt keeps walking back towards the timing chain cover and stops about 2 groves off the rest of the pulleys . The lower pulley is tight and snug tightened into the harmonic balancer , I reset it and it just walks back . Anyone ever experience this before and what could be the issue here ?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I had belt walk on the crank pulley that drives the blower. I was shredding belts like crazy. I decided to invest in the Gates laser alignment tool and found the alternator was the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I had belt walk on the crank pulley that drives the blower. I was shredding belts like crazy. I decided to invest in the Gates laser alignment tool and found the alternator was the culprit.

How much for tool and is it easy/worth it?
My GT500 just turned 9 rib and it was the back rib.
Does have BPS alternator kit for oil cooler delete.
-J

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Under 100 dollars, and yes it is well worth it unless you want to play the guessing game. Buy the tool, and find your problem in minutes. I shredded 3 belts and fought belt squeal until finding the problem with this tool. I would let you use mine if you were a bit closer. Lol

Last edited:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Check out this video on YouTube:

This video shows how to use the tool.. If I remember correctly, you just done a rebuild? You could lay a straight edge across your pulleys and might find the issue this way.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Check out this video on YouTube:

This video shows how to use the tool.. If I remember correctly, you just done a rebuild? You could lay a straight edge across your pulleys and might find the issue this way.

Pretty interesting and would be cool to check.
I really think my issue was a used belt/new pulley and 7500rpm, as there were no noises or issues on street or dyno.
Still may be worth investing in even if it saves one belt, as I'm sure I'll build more engines in the future.
Thanks again for info and link.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread