Best way to run catch can set up?

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Hey guys, so I have had a JLT Catch can set up on the drivers side and pre filter on the passenger side for a while, now. Doesnt seem to catch that much oil and after i swapped from the whipple to the TVS i saw my IC was still getting some oil on it. I picked up a bigger much higher quality catch can set up but was unsure the best way to route it?

1. Mount it low on drivers frame rail, keep the passenger side pre filter on going into the intake tube, route it from PCV to catch can to back of blower.

2. Ive seen some connect the passengers side to the catch can and then leave the catch can and go to the drivers side PCV location.

Whats best guys? Thanks

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
This is what I went with after seeing JRgoffin using it. After receiving it, it seems like a very high quality piece.
IMG_8982.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member
Anything will be better than the JLT, they really don't catch anything.

I like JLT and run their CAI stuff but honestly their catch cans are worthless.

I run the pass side stock, the drivers side is more or less plumbed stock with my steeda catch can on the firewall.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Subn my JLT set up is garbage doesn’t catch much. Tried to see if they have a revised unit but they don’t. Don’t mind their intakes but the catch cans suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four Door SVT

Established Member
This is another winter project for us as well. Currently both pcv valves go to the catch can then to the lower intake as stock and nothing into the supercharger intake. This in theory when the car hits boost there isn’t any crank case gasses being removed but as soon as your off boost it’s fine. This time we will plug the lower intake port and route both Pcv to the catch can then the intake tube.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
This is what I went with after seeing JRgoffin using it. After receiving it, it seems like a very high quality piece.
Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yep, these - real catch cans that are very functional unlike the other ones that are too puny and are usually mounted too close to the valve cover. Those filters on the passenger side are useless as well since that is intake air to the valve cover. Adding a better quality can is all that is needed. For about $50, these can`t be beat.

This will help: http://www.terminator-cobra.com/engine.htm#Oil_separator

Oil%20separator%202.jpg

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I once had the jlt oil separator. Did nothing for me. I went with a brand called elite engineering. Very nice quality. It slowed down oil puddling in my blower plenum tremendous.

IMAG1185_zpsr7ghuwmi.jpg

IMAG1193_zpsrbqxn1mh.jpg

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
How full do these become, after X amount of miles? My old JLT separator collects a good amount in about 1k miles (about 1/3 to 1/2 way full)

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Ok so seems like most keep the pre-filter thing on the pass side and just run the catch can stock style but further away on the drivers side. Anyone here run their catch can from pass side to catch can and then to drivers valve cover?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok so seems like most keep the pre-filter thing on the pass side and just run the catch can stock style but further away on the drivers side. Anyone here run their catch can from pass side to catch can and then to drivers valve cover?
I've never had oil in my intake tube, so pre filter is good enough for me.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Thought about running breathers?

Breathers are not the answer, Factory design has drivers side under vacuum at lower rpm and while under boost the pcv valve must work well enough to stop what ever psi boost you run from entering the engine, the passenger side is under vacuum being on the inlet tube. Passenger side is effected by how clean the air filter is as well, the dirtier filter the more vacuum on the pcv, otherwise the built up pressure in the engine will or is supposed to lift the pcv open to vent. Oil residue entering the blower isn’t good so a catch can on passenger is a must or route to driver side. The driver side pcv oil vapor residue builds up in the lower intake this isn’t as bad as entering the blower but heat can make it evaporate again to burn but looks ugly when you see it if ever.

A catch can with a site glass is nice, you can see how much is in it, also must have a baffling inside and the inlet must be directed towards the bottom for it to even work properly.

337e7904b3699ba409e5eb5f6040732b.jpg

This one was 78.95 and quality built.
The photos posted is this thread are some very nice engine bays

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread