Bought a backup Mystichrome steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I recently came across a Mystichrome steering wheel on eBay that was from a steering wheel recovering/reconditioning place. I contact the seller to inquire about it and he said it was recovered with Mystichrome leather that he can no longer get. He said his leather supplier had some. I had him send me a sample of the leather and it was dead nuts a perfect match. I completed the deal and got the steering wheel today. I took it to the garage to compare to my mint original and it matches perfectly. The only difference is I have some shiny protectant on my wheel and the new wheel doesn’t have any dressing on it. This wheel was about 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost of a NOS original (if you can even find one). I’ll be storing this wheel away as a future option should I ever need it. This completes my backup Mystichrome interior... I already had a set of new seat skins. I can’t imagine ever needing this stuff with as little as my car gets used, but it’s nice to have the option.

Pics:

Goose17

Established Member
8_EA54_EF3-6_A8_E-4_C58-_A767-_AC0023_B6_CAF2.jpg

82_C257_DD-8842-4_D96-_BC59-_A5_A275_FC2065.jpg

65473_F68-89_B3-4_E61-_A9_A7-_A6731_B17_A997.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
Nice find. I picked mine up from eBay as well. But it was an NOS. I have some material I bought from a member I plan on using to fix my old wheel and store away. I really wish TMI had offered rear seat skins when I bought mine.

Goose17

Established Member
Nice find. I picked mine up from eBay as well. But it was an NOS. I have some material I bought from a member I plan on using to fix my old wheel and store away. I really wish TMI had offered rear seat skins when I bought mine.

When did you buy your skins? I got a full vert set of skins from them a couple years ago.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I have 2 full sets of seats, not just the skins (vert front and back). One cherry, one set that shows pretty heavy wear (drivers seat of course). No wheel, but I figured I have the material if I were to need it.

Osiris

Established Member
I would love to get my hands on a set of new skins...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
When did you buy your skins? I got a full vert set of skins from them a couple years ago.
I want to say back in 2015. Right after I got the car someone from TMI posted on a forum I was on saying they didn't have much material left. At the time they only had the fronts available. Thankfully my rear seats are still in good shape.

Goose17

Established Member
I have 2 full sets of seats, not just the skins (vert front and back). One cherry, one set that shows pretty heavy wear (drivers seat of course). No wheel, but I figured I have the material if I were to need it.

Back when I got my extra set of seat skins from TMI, I had them throw all of their extra Mystichrome leather scraps in the box. I ended up getting quite a bit of extra leather, but as another member pointed out to me, the Mystichrome seat leather is a little different than the steering wheel leather. The seat leather is coated... almost like a clear coat. The steering wheel leather does not have the coating. It is a subtle difference, but I’m sure a steering wheel made with the seat leather would still look great though.

I want to say back in 2015. Right after I got the car someone from TMI posted on a forum I was on saying they didn't have much material left. At the time they only had the fronts available. Thankfully my rear seats are still in good shape.

Good point. The rear seats rarely get used in these cars and should look great for a long, long time. Vert owners like me just need to limit parking the car with the top down in the baking sun, which will hurt the leather long term.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Good point. The rear seats rarely get used in these cars and should look great for a long, long time. Vert owners like me just need to limit parking the car with the top down in the baking sun, which will hurt the leather long term.

The only issue with mine is the top of the driver side rear seat is dry. Like from the wind hitting it while driving with the window down. I've been keeping up on it though. It's one of the reasons I wanted to try that Pinnacle stuff.

Osiris

Established Member
There is a guy on Facebook named Nick that is having a "gen 2" of this leather made.

If you guys are on there join the Mystichrome owners only page.
Got a link? There seems to be a few MC pages...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dimitri318

Established Member
I just bought my 1st mystichrome cobra convertible and 5th cobra overall last Saturday and I love it!! It is a 1 owner car with 130k miles on it and has a few scratches on it from normal driving but is in decent shape. The driver seat is worn pretty bad so I’ve been on the lookout for some skins or new front seats in general so hopefully I’ll find some soon. The steering wheel has completely turned black from the driving but I actually just bought the one you posted Goose so thank you for that!! Hopefully this will be my last cobra bc I love this mystichrome

Papaw

Established Member
I knew that mystichrome cobras were unusual but I never knew you needed a separate steering wheel just to back up!o_O

Goose17

Established Member
I just bought my 1st mystichrome cobra convertible and 5th cobra overall last Saturday and I love it!! It is a 1 owner car with 130k miles on it and has a few scratches on it from normal driving but is in decent shape. The driver seat is worn pretty bad so I’ve been on the lookout for some skins or new front seats in general so hopefully I’ll find some soon. The steering wheel has completely turned black from the driving but I actually just bought the one you posted Goose so thank you for that!! Hopefully this will be my last cobra bc I love this mystichrome

Congrats on the Mystichrome score! Glad my link helped you out. I think that was the last of the Mystichrome leather.

As for your original wheel, try cleaning it. Since you now have another wheel, I would try a deep cleaning on your original with some soapy water and a soft brush. You have nothing to lose if it has turned black.

I knew that mystichrome cobras were unusual but I never knew you needed a separate steering wheel just to back up!o_O

Funny!

Dimitri318

Established Member
Congrats on the Mystichrome score! Glad my link helped you out. I think that was the last of the Mystichrome leather.

As for your original wheel, try cleaning it. Since you now have another wheel, I would try a deep cleaning on your original with some soapy water and a soft brush. You have nothing to lose if it has turned black.

Funny!

Thanks brotha, I haved 2 sonic blue beets and 2 zinc yellow verts and I’ve had more people in a week stop me to ask me about the mystichrome and tell me how nice it is than in all the years I had the other ones lol. And I will for try cleaning the steering wheel as soon as I get the other one in. My back seats look like they’ve never been sat in but you should sell me those front seat skins since you said you’ll probably never need them. But seriously, if you sell your car or decide to get rid of them, let me know and I’ll buy them off of you. I plan on keeping this cobra a long time so I’m gonna keep a look out for some.

Goose17

Established Member
Thanks brotha, I haved 2 sonic blue beets and 2 zinc yellow verts and I’ve had more people in a week stop me to ask me about the mystichrome and tell me how nice it is than in all the years I had the other ones lol. And I will for try cleaning the steering wheel as soon as I get the other one in. My back seats look like they’ve never been sat in but you should sell me those front seat skins since you said you’ll probably never need them. But seriously, if you sell your car or decide to get rid of them, let me know and I’ll buy them off of you. I plan on keeping this cobra a long time so I’m gonna keep a look out for some.

Mystichrome is feak’n magical! When mine comes out of the garage (rare), it always gets rock star treatment. I usually get: “Where in the hell if you get that thing painted?” I always respond with: “Detroit!” :D

As for my car and the extra skins... I plan to keep both forever. You can always repaint the exterior, but the color shifting leather will simply not be available when it comes time to restore these cars. I will hang on to my extra skins and wheel as insurance.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Have a complete set of NOS myself to include the steering wheel. Got lucky way back when Ford still had some. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4653.JPG
    IMG_4653.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4649.JPG
    IMG_4649.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4654.JPG
    IMG_4654.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_7170.JPG
    IMG_7170.JPG