Build cobra or buy a termi?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Hasn't changed appearance wise in years. Just the average Saleen wheel, S281 wing combination. What was your old username?

Haha, yeah I know what you mean there, I run the same combo. It's timeless, I can't blame ya.

*looks both ways*
badass98svt

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Why you hiding?

Not hiding really, just starting anew.

My car spun a rod bearing back in May 2010. A couple months later I dropped in a new Aluminator shortblock, it went 900 miles and developed a knock. It was sitting since then until a few weeks ago, when I had it towed to a shop to have it looked at.

I just kind of wanted to start over, if that makes any sense.

1308d5f41617214d1cd725847612c7ec.jpg

ab74c42921fac8463bc498192a6af171.jpg

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Not hiding really, just starting anew.
My car spun a rod bearings back in 2010. Dropped in a new Aluminator shortblock, it went 900 miles and developed a knock. It was sitting since then until a few weeks ago, when I had it towed to a shop to have it looked at.
I just kind of wanted to start over, if that makes any sense.
I hear ya, just breaking your chops.

Hopefully you get her fixed up.

It's definitely getting fixed up.
I'll start a build thread when things get underway. I told the shop to take their time, I don't need it until Spring time. Pretty sure he's going to pull the motor this week or next.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I think, to this day, you remain the only guy I've ever seen with that cowl, stock style hood. Nice to see it still on the car.

Look at us OGs taking over this thread...

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I love that hood, one of my favorite mods. It's a keeper.
Good to see you are still on here rocking the SN95.
Wonder what happened to Casper and the others.

Rev Happy

Established Member
Do you really, really, really like your 97?

If not, buy the terminator. It's not even a question to me. It will be much more reliable than a heavily modified car for the power level you want to be at, they're newer and have several nicer features than the SN95's, they hold their value so much better and if you're careful about what you buy, you'll be money ahead in the long run.

What he said.

I have everything done to my 96, and I wish I would have sold it years ago before I blew all that money.

Helomech74

Established Member
I'm not sure where this 10K estimate is coming from for "500hp". Don't bother buying a new procharger kit, piece it together and save money. Do your own work and don't pay the labor costs. I would modify an SN95 car all day before buying a Terminator, didn't like them when they came out and still think they're a waste of money. I'd prefer to build my car the way I want to build it as opposed to buying a factory built car that I still need to sink money into to make the power I want. If you're building a car thinking about resale value, you're doing it wrong. You don't build a car for the resale value unless you're thinking about cars with actual value to start (think old muscle cars etc.) The Terminator might be holding it's value now, but the market will drop on them too. I've spent more money then I care to add up on various cars over my 43 years of life, but I don't care. I build cars for the fun and enjoyment of doing it, not because I'm concerned about how much I can sell it for.

In the end, it's your money. All your going to get on here is other peoples opinions. Do you like your SN95, then keep it and build it. Do you like the New Edge cars, then buy a Terminator and build that. You won't need 10grand to make decent power on a stock bottom end SN95 Cobra. You can make that power with a P1SC, been there done that 15 years ago. P1SC, new MAF, 42lb injectors (or 60's if you want more head room) and a 340lph pump. Tune with SCT or your tuners choice of software and enjoy. Make sure the tune is safe and have fun.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
^ Truth!

At the end of the day it's completely up to you. You'll be the one driving the car and spending the money. Modding a car will always depreciate the value versus keeping it stock and low mileage. But that's something we car guys have come to understand since the beginning. You always have the option of parting it out or returning to stock in the event that you wish to sell it.

Making decent power isn't an issue in these cars. There are centrifugal kits for sale all the time at reasonable prices. For less than $3000 you can be 400+ rwhp with the combo stated above. Take your time and decide for yourself what you really want, not what others will think of your decision.

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
I would 100% keep the 97. I've been doing my own work for years and at first I was hesitant building my first motor but having a trustworthy machine shop and the knowledge available on the interwebs made t possible. You could piece together a nice centri build for 2500$ drop in a decent fuel pump and have fun. I love the 03/04 Cobras and will probably own one at some point but I enjoy building these cars not buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srtlat

Established Member
What's the best injectors/Maf combo to use?
Who Makes the best 42lb injectors?

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Easy. Sell the 97 and get a Terminator. You can probably find a nice example in the low $20K's range making 500hp already. The Terminator was easy to get to that point and the motor and trans will handle the power reliably for a long time.

The Commander

Established Member
OP I started with some 60lb deka injectors and a sct ba3000 but that was before I was intercooled. With the intercooler I went with a vmp maf and like ZeroDCX said it's up to you on what you want. If I could do it again I probably would have still brought a sn95 cobra but 1 much cheaper then the 1 I have and could've build it and be at the power level I want for about half of the price of a terminator. And I don't plan on selling mine so the value is no big deal for me.

KBR

Established Member
I have a 98 triple black vert that I've been asking myself the same question. Do I continue with the car I bought last May or move on? When I bought the car I was just getting back into the hobby and didn't know about lack of intercooler for these cars with PD blower. It has 75K miles and I have receipts of the motor being done with forged top end less than 4K miles ago. It makes around 400WHP w/17lbs of boost, meth, 93 octane and Torco to be safe.
I've got about $10k into it. Bought needing a tune really bad and to be detailed/sorted (still needs some paint correction and rear bumper painted).

It seems I've about maxed out my setup and I really want more HP. I'd really like to make numbers like termis, roush, and shelbys. 500hp-600hp at the wheels.

A terminator swap or coyote could be way more than just buying a car already done.

I am considering swapping to C heads and adding all the intercooler stuff and a new blower(don't think there is a way to re-use my Kenne Bell 2.1?) but that would cost big $$$ too.

Motor mods:
Polished Kenne bell supercharger 2.1L
Kenne bell boost a pump
Stage II custom blower cams with the degree process
Forged pistons and rods
42Lb injectors
Accufab single blade throttle body
90mm lightning Mass air Flow
JLT cold air intake (power pipe)
Mac performance ceramic coated long tube headers W/ locking clip hardware,
off road H-pipe, & cat back
Coil on plug conversion
Polished valve covers
Billet polished coil covers
Aluminum coolant over flow tank
Meth injection system by ALKY control
Pro 5.0 shifter
SCT handheld X3
Centerforce dual friction clutch
Clutch quadrant firewall adjuster

Suspension mods:
Eibach pro-kit coil springs
BBK sub-frame connectors
BBK lower control arms W/ poly urethane bushings
Cross drilled rotors
Painted calipers

Exterior mods:
Saleen chrome 18" wheels
Saleen light bar W/ brake light
Cervinis cobra R hood W/ finished underside
Redline Tuning hood shocks
Roush wing/spoiler
Tinted windows
Billet polished rear COBRA bumper inserts
Cobra snake grill emblem
One piece headlights

Interior mods:
Billet foot petals
Chrome SVT door sills
Billet shift knob
3 Auto meter gauges Boost, Fuel & Wideband air/fuel
Auto meter mini shift light
Kenwood stereo w/subwoofer and amp in trunk

Any ideas? I'm researching all options. It may be up for sale.

98 Mustang chrome wheels.jpg
Mustang engine.jpg

Attachments

• 1998 Mustang Cobra with chrome wheels.jpg
    1998 Mustang Cobra with chrome wheels.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Mustang engine.jpg
    Mustang engine.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 96

ZeroDCX

Established Member
^ Something's up with that setup at 17lbs only making 400-ish whp. I've seen stock motor centrifugal cars at 5-6 psi make 400+ whp. I'd say that blower is holding your car back more than anything.

KBR

Established Member
^ Something's up with that setup at 17lbs only making 400-ish whp. I've seen stock motor centrifugal cars at 5-6 psi make 400+ whp. I'd say that blower is holding your car back more than anything.
Yes....i’ve been told by my tuner and several other people that this setup is not the best for horsepower. It is nice cruising around town though...lots of torque right off idle...reminds me of the big block Torino I had when I was in high school

Helomech74

Established Member
Strip the PD blower off of it, put a centri blower (Vortech, Procharger, Paxton, pick your poison) and make more power then that little Kenne Bell is capable off. Then go have a good time. If torque is what you're after, size the blower correctly with the proper pulley to make peak power in whatever RPM range you want and enjoy. I don't really understand the allure of the PD blowers personally, sure they make gobs of torque off idle, but I've always been a fan of the more linear power delivery that a centri blower gives.

Users who are viewing this thread