• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Build cobra or buy a termi?

Discussion in 'SN95 Cobras' started by srtlat, Nov 9, 2017.

1. 98 svt

98 svt Well-Known Member Established Member

Haha, yeah I know what you mean there, I run the same combo. It's timeless, I can't blame ya.

*looks both ways*
    badass98svt

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. 2DXTRM

2DXTRM Pushrod 5.0 Established Member

Why you hiding?

3. 98 svt

Not hiding really, just starting anew.

My car spun a rod bearing back in May 2010. A couple months later I dropped in a new Aluminator shortblock, it went 900 miles and developed a knock. It was sitting since then until a few weeks ago, when I had it towed to a shop to have it looked at.

I just kind of wanted to start over, if that makes any sense.

1308d5f41617214d1cd725847612c7ec.jpg

ab74c42921fac8463bc498192a6af171.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. 2DXTRM

2DXTRM Pushrod 5.0 Established Member

I hear ya, just breaking your chops.

Hopefully you get her fixed up.

5. 98 svt

Not hiding really, just starting anew.
    My car spun a rod bearings back in 2010. Dropped in a new Aluminator shortblock, it went 900 miles and developed a knock. It was sitting since then until a few weeks ago, when I had it towed to a shop to have it looked at.
    I just kind of wanted to start over, if that makes any sense.

It's definitely getting fixed up.
    I'll start a build thread when things get underway. I told the shop to take their time, I don't need it until Spring time. Pretty sure he's going to pull the motor this week or next.

6. Tabres

Tabres Not without incident Established Member

I think, to this day, you remain the only guy I've ever seen with that cowl, stock style hood. Nice to see it still on the car.

Look at us OGs taking over this thread...

98 svt likes this.
  7. 98 svt

Yeah I love that hood, one of my favorite mods. It's a keeper.
    Good to see you are still on here rocking the SN95.
    Wonder what happened to Casper and the others.

8. Rev Happy

Rev Happy Member Established Member

What he said.

I have everything done to my 96, and I wish I would have sold it years ago before I blew all that money.

9. Helomech74

Helomech74 Active Member Established Member

I'm not sure where this 10K estimate is coming from for "500hp". Don't bother buying a new procharger kit, piece it together and save money. Do your own work and don't pay the labor costs. I would modify an SN95 car all day before buying a Terminator, didn't like them when they came out and still think they're a waste of money. I'd prefer to build my car the way I want to build it as opposed to buying a factory built car that I still need to sink money into to make the power I want. If you're building a car thinking about resale value, you're doing it wrong. You don't build a car for the resale value unless you're thinking about cars with actual value to start (think old muscle cars etc.) The Terminator might be holding it's value now, but the market will drop on them too. I've spent more money then I care to add up on various cars over my 43 years of life, but I don't care. I build cars for the fun and enjoyment of doing it, not because I'm concerned about how much I can sell it for.

In the end, it's your money. All your going to get on here is other peoples opinions. Do you like your SN95, then keep it and build it. Do you like the New Edge cars, then buy a Terminator and build that. You won't need 10grand to make decent power on a stock bottom end SN95 Cobra. You can make that power with a P1SC, been there done that 15 years ago. P1SC, new MAF, 42lb injectors (or 60's if you want more head room) and a 340lph pump. Tune with SCT or your tuners choice of software and enjoy. Make sure the tune is safe and have fun.

ZeroDCX likes this.
  10. ZeroDCX

ZeroDCX Active Member Established Member

^ Truth!

At the end of the day it's completely up to you. You'll be the one driving the car and spending the money. Modding a car will always depreciate the value versus keeping it stock and low mileage. But that's something we car guys have come to understand since the beginning. You always have the option of parting it out or returning to stock in the event that you wish to sell it.

Making decent power isn't an issue in these cars. There are centrifugal kits for sale all the time at reasonable prices. For less than $3000 you can be 400+ rwhp with the combo stated above. Take your time and decide for yourself what you really want, not what others will think of your decision.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  11. coposrv

coposrv Well-Known Member Established Member

I would 100% keep the 97. I've been doing my own work for years and at first I was hesitant building my first motor but having a trustworthy machine shop and the knowledge available on the interwebs made t possible. You could piece together a nice centri build for 2500$ drop in a decent fuel pump and have fun. I love the 03/04 Cobras and will probably own one at some point but I enjoy building these cars not buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. srtlat

srtlat Member Established Member

What's the best injectors/Maf combo to use?
    Who Makes the best 42lb injectors?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  13. wheelhopper

wheelhopper Active Member Established Member

Easy. Sell the 97 and get a Terminator. You can probably find a nice example in the low $20K's range making 500hp already. The Terminator was easy to get to that point and the motor and trans will handle the power reliably for a long time.

14. The Commander

The Commander Member Established Member

OP I started with some 60lb deka injectors and a sct ba3000 but that was before I was intercooled. With the intercooler I went with a vmp maf and like ZeroDCX said it's up to you on what you want. If I could do it again I probably would have still brought a sn95 cobra but 1 much cheaper then the 1 I have and could've build it and be at the power level I want for about half of the price of a terminator. And I don't plan on selling mine so the value is no big deal for me.