CA smog

Josh03gt

Hey all,

I soon plan to be purchasing an 03 cobra out of Virginia and I'm very curious as to if this car would be able to pass CA smog. Mods as listed: ported blower, upper and lower pulleys, idler, MAF, CAI, throttle body, and high flow cats. Thanks for any help!

NastyNate420

Established Member
The high flow cats and CAI prolly wont pass the visual test if they look like they are supposed to. The CAI might be good if it has a CARB number. You should pass with the rest as long as you arent popping any codes.

Josh03gt

The high flow cats and CAI prolly wont pass the visual test if they look like they are supposed to. The CAI might be good if it has a CARB number. You should pass with the rest as long as you arent popping any codes.
Awesome I figured i would run into more problems here in CA but that's easy for me to get around, appreciate the info

oldmodman

Established Member
If you can find and reinstall a stock CAI you will probably pass as long as you can reinstall the stock tune too.
Most visual inspections are looking for headers, an aftermarket blower and CAI. If they don't see those they seem to assume that the rest of the power grain is stock too.
I have a 2.3 Whipple, shorty headers, Borla exhaust, and a K&N FIPK. Stoch H pipe and cats.
I make sure I have all the Executive order letters for those parts showing them to be legal in California. And even with all that I still had one SMOG shop refuse to even test it. The polished blower scared him enough that he didn't even want to accept the car to test. Next place did and it passed with flying colors.

Josh03gt

If you can find and reinstall a stock CAI you will probably pass as long as you can reinstall the stock tune too.
Most visual inspections are looking for headers, an aftermarket blower and CAI. If they don't see those they seem to assume that the rest of the power grain is stock too.
I have a 2.3 Whipple, shorty headers, Borla exhaust, and a K&N FIPK. Stoch H pipe and cats.
I make sure I have all the Executive order letters for those parts showing them to be legal in California. And even with all that I still had one SMOG shop refuse to even test it. The polished blower scared him enough that he didn't even want to accept the car to test. Next place did and it passed with flying colors.
I know the CAI would be an easy fix too. this weekend I'll find out about the cats and if so then this makes me s lot more comfortable. Appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread