Cams and intake, going under the knife.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Just curious, but why does top speed matter? While I do street race, why does top speed really matter? :shrug:

If you haven't clearly won or lost the race by 130mph tops, be the wiser one and stop it there. With your setup you'll definitely have the power to go 150-160mph, but I'm not sure about top end with 4.10s.

I should have my car back in two or three weeks and you'll be more than welcome to come check it out (built motor, custom grind Comp cams, etc.).

NC Mystic

Established Member
sounds bad as Zhisel, and i love the mountains i was born in Asheville

I had been wanting to run the Maxton standing mile event for about 10 years now but i believe it was shut down in the last year. The Texas mile event is still up and running though.

Yes, i am addicted to a car trying to pull me out the back window when i step on it but top speed does have it's own allure to me. it's not so much about winning a race by x miles per hour as just having fun on my own, every once in a while.

(i'm a contractor so once in a blue moon i find out about an asphalt gem before the public does)

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
top speed with any gear is going to be far greater then your car has the power/areo to push it at 150+

NC Mystic

Established Member
is there a disadvantage i am not comprehending to running the 106400 or even 106500 cam? the car is not going to be a sole daily driver, and if there's not a problem with it i would prefer the more aggressive (quote; very rough) idle of the 106500. it also rates it for 6500 rpm vs 6000.

would the 106500, a 90mm maf and 39# cobra injectors with _____ new pump work?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
You'll need to run aftermarket springs if you want to use those big cams. Plus when comp rates the rpm for the cams in the real world its much higher. I put in 106460's (blower cams) in my car and it peaked at 6800......only because I ran out of MAFand Fuel. It's probably 7k peak cams but I'd have to spin it to 7500 to reap the benefits.

Bigger the cam the less low end you have. Do you really want that for a street car?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
is there a disadvantage i am not comprehending to running the 106400 or even 106500 cam? the car is not going to be a sole daily driver, and if there's not a problem with it i would prefer the more aggressive (quote; very rough) idle of the 106500. it also rates it for 6500 rpm vs 6000.

would the 106500, a 90mm maf and 39# cobra injectors with _____ new pump work?

the 106500s have driveability issues, the 106400s do not.

NC Mystic

Established Member
so the 106400 would lope more aggressively than the 106160 but still be streetable? that would only make sense about trading a little torque for rpm the the 400 but can you tell much difference from the driver seat with 4.10 gear?

$1300 is a little more spendy than the 5.0 cams but really not as bad as i had expected

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
cam job will run u over 2k with springs/tune
and then ALOT more if ur not doing labor yourself

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
so the 106400 would lope more aggressively than the 106160 but still be streetable? that would only make sense about trading a little torque for rpm the the 400 but can you tell much difference from the driver seat with 4.10 gear?

$1300 is a little more spendy than the 5.0 cams but really not as bad as i had expected

I can make 220 degree cams lope wildy. If that's all you want then go with what you have and tighten the lsa.

NC Mystic

Established Member
Am i losing something in translation or are you saying the B head cams can lope like the video?

NC Mystic

Established Member
okay, so to summarize what i am thinking at this point and get your opinions since this thread has evolved a little

for the motor work and getting it up and running i am looking at this;

C head swap:
heads, milled .030"
lower intake
adapter for the B upper
throttle and cruise cables (i don't need cruise, and i still need a 99 throttle cable in use with the B upper intake and adaptor in use?)
modded B fuel rails (not sure what this entails, i'll probably need to find pics for the shop)
modded B coolant crossover(same as rails, pics needed probably)
compression test and fingers crossed all is good

if i go with the 106160 cam i can use stock springs? 106/110 for the meanest idle? sounds like a winner to me
stock injectors and fuel pump?
fluidyn* radiator? or is that a fail

Since everything is coming off anyway i thought it would be nifty to switch to c.o.p. harness with the kit thats for sale here on svtp now. i would just need the harness, cop wire set, c head valve covers (do the 99 and 04 covers use the same cop wire covers?)
i'd really like to switch to the cop setup so i can use the Shelby "Powered by svt" fluted wire covers

is that it?

is the aeroforce interceptor gauge worth the money or should i pick a 4th autometer lunar gauge?

Mystic-svt, i am interested in those cams. i sent you a pm, if it didn't go through properly send one my way please

thanks all

i talked to fast lane about it and they said a ball park figure for the motor work labor was $1,500. I'm guessing that doesn't include the tune just based on the number but i will ask next time i speak with them. seemed like a pretty fair price to me and would give me some peace of mind knowing it came out of their shop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread