Clutch area rattle at idle and low rpm acceleration.

jmonday

Established Member

I'm not sure what I'm hearing in this video. It sounds like the bell housing spacer rattling from vibration, but everything is tightened up. The motor mounts are tight also and I don't hear it from the exhaust connectors. Could this be the clutch assembly or maybe throw out bearing?

Thank you,
Jarred
2004 Cobra

jmonday

Established Member
Also, the noise doesn't go away or get worse when I engage or disengage that clutch. If I bring the rpms up slightly the rattling getting quieter.
Thanks

Thank you,
Jarred
2004 Cobra

Zemedici

Established Member
I had a very similar issue. Turned out my ring gear had slightly separated from the flywheel, and would only be audible at certain rpms (due to centrifugal force keeping them together maybe....?)

New flywheel and good to go. I'd start by pulling the trans and having a looksie

jmonday

Established Member
Thanks for that. Ughh, I doing this in the driveway. I wonder if I could see anything obvious if I take the starter off and look inside?? Then iI will take the trans out.
I had the flywheel resurfaced a few years ago and maybe that could have caused it to loosen. I don't know if the ring gear is pressed on the flywheel or riveted on. We'll see and I'll update...

Thanks again.

Zemedici

Established Member
Thanks for that. Ughh, I doing this in the driveway. I wonder if I could see anything obvious if I take the starter off and look inside?? Then iI will take the trans out.
I had the flywheel resurfaced a few years ago and maybe that could have caused it to loosen. I don't know if the ring gear is pressed on the flywheel or riveted on. We'll see and I'll update...

Thanks again.

keep us updated brotha - fwiw the trans can be OUT of the car in like 90 minutes on a lift, I strongly recommend seeking a lift for this type of work. **** doing that on your back....hahaha

Let us know!

IllCobra

Established Member
^X2
keep us posted. i would like to know just in case i ever run into the same problem.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I also had similar sound years ago. Mine was same problem as Zemedici.

03' White Snake

Established Member
My car had a noise like that, turned out my pilot bearing went bad and chewed up my input shaft.

Another thing I would check is the lower 2 bell housing bolts that hold the shield in place.

Awtblo

03 OW Cobra
Established Member
I'm with the others, I had the same noise, ended up being the ring gear on the flywheel.

Since it doesn't change with clutch position I'd be willing to bet that's your issue.

Pull the starter, then grab the ring gear on the flywheel and see if it moves independently of the flywheel OP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread