Coyote in Cougar clothes (road racing sleeper!!)

03'Darin

Established Member
Well we're close to finishing our newest race car build. Last weekend we got the car done enough to run an open track weekend at Summit Point to do some shake down testing.

Our team has been competing primarily in the Chump Car series for the last few years. We've been running a really clapped out looking 1986 Cougar that most people refer to as a rat rod. We've even been asked multiple times if the car had been on fire at one point. So looks aren't everything so they say, right.... Nope they aren't, we've had wins at Nelson Ledges (25 1/2 hour race), Daytona (14 hour race), Watkins Glen, NJ, and Lime Rock with that car. So needless to say our car building focuses on the sleeper and nondescript approach with everything as cheap as possible.

Well last year we ran a race in AER (American Endurance Racing). When we went to tech the car we were told that they were going to let us race but we couldn't bring the car back again looking the way it looks. That weekend we broke a clutch (it was a $99 Ebay special with probably 15,000 race miles so no shame there) during the 7 hour Saturday race. We put in a new clutch and finished that race out of contention. During Sundays 7 hour race all went well and we finished 2nd overall in the field. They wouldn't take any pictures of our car during the awards ceremony.

So we left that race discussing a new potential new build of another old school car with a modern car drivetrain. Nothing much came about at that point until I crashed the car pretty good at the championship race in Pittsburgh racing during the tropical storm that came through. With that car needing extensive work to fix we started getting more serious about the new build.

So here a year later we finally made it to the track for a shake down weekend!!

I present you our 1988 Mercury Cougar complete with a vintage Lake Speed Nascar front license plate and sporting a 2015' Mustang 5.0 Coyote motor along with the stock Getrag 6 speed.

18203909-7E5A-409B-8701-A69C814C6B96_zpsqptlcoyr.jpg

Of course the sleeper aspect wouldn't be complete without us sporting the original trunk lid luggage rack.

88EA34A8-A744-4B91-BB2D-F314BB2F4EA8_zpsodtjqjda.jpg

We accomplished exactly what we wanted. Which was to find out what we needed to do during the winter so the car was prepared to go racing in spring. We ended up with a reasonable list of things that need done. But all in all considering we were on 8 year old used track tires that are much smaller than our race setup plus undersized brakes that had an incredibly stiff pedal feel. The car performed VERY well and should have some tremendous potential. Needles to say we had a steady line of people asking a lot of questions through the course of the weekend.

03'Darin

Established Member
Is the front wider then the rear!!?

No. May just look that way from the picture angle.

We didn't have time to cut and flare the wheel wells before we went so we did a little bit of jack handle manipulation at the track. This picture has the 17 X 8's on the front and 17 X 9's on the rear. We had just put the 9" wheels on the back to see if they fit. We'll run 17 X 9's up front and 17 X 10.5's on the rear once we open the fenders up.

the5

Established Member
So where will you run this thing in next year? Good Luck guys!

the5

Established Member
What Tires do you plan on using on 17x10.5 rims?

03'Darin

Established Member
So where will you run this thing in next year? Good Luck guys!

Primarily NE. We don't usually set a specific schedule. We'll run Watkins Glen, NJMP, Summit, possibly Mid Ohio and Autobahn. We may also hit some other events depending on schedule

What Tires do you plan on using on 17x10.5 rims?

We've been running Falken Azenis. They've given us the best consistent and even wear.

03'Darin

Established Member
So this is what makes our cars difficult for people to believe.... We pretty much run stock suspension, sway bars, shocks and struts. In impound after the race when spectators and other competitors are looking over the car we just get looks and gestures like.... well... you're going to do when you see the pictures. :coolman:

Sorry these are some crappy cell phone pics.

7666F056-1699-449B-9106-9B0A7AA02DED_zpsd0pzt0cd.jpg

7A2EFFFE-416A-42AB-A0E2-A691931E839E_zpsstkm9rou.jpg

AD10D21F-26E7-4FC8-999C-D9CFCA49428A_zpsawdxrgiq.jpg

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
Well I figured it's time to update this thread since we just ran our first race.

Here is some in car video from the start of Sunday mornings race. Schedule was a 9 hour race saturday and sunday. car showed great potential but we had some mechanical issue that didn't show up until the car was subjected to long runs under green flag.

For those interested we were in class 4 of 5. Class 5 is the fastest. The Sahlens Team with 1 of their 3 Porsche Caymans runing took the wins both saturday and sunday.

We ran a best lap of 2:12.5xx

We started Sunday 26th on grid. 2 1/2 hours in to the race I had worked up to 5th over all and 1st in class. Schedule was for me to run between 15 and 30 more minutes and pit under a caution in that window for a driver change and fuel. Well on a restart 2 1/2 hours in we started losing fuel pressure. We pitted early to check wiring and lines, driver change and fuel. Two laps later the problem was still there. Turned out to be a failing fuel pump.

Here are some update photos of the car:
87B20D89-D2A2-41B0-9A11-7AEA37A8C1C0_zpsahifcdw1.jpg

So we needed a way to pull the hood up to open it. With the help of Ebay we snagged a Cougar hood ornament for the task.

7C8E33DC-77C3-4D46-AA44-33F11C1A1AA8_zpsjs5724p7.jpg

We opted for a clear rear spoiler so you could still see the factory trunk lid mounted luggage rack.

84E77B23-733A-4D87-A9BA-1A2F24794ED2_zps7wtrfyam.jpg

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Looks like you guys are having fun, that's all that matters !!

Going to carlisle in a few weeks ?

You should bring this car and enter it in the showfield.

03'Darin

Established Member
Looks like you guys are having fun, that's all that matters !!

Going to carlisle in a few weeks ?

You should bring this car and enter it in the showfield.

Hey Dave. Doubt we'll take the car there because of time but I'll be around. If you want to meet for a beer shoot me a PM or text.

Love it! Please post some pics of the previous car.

OK here comes.... You're not going to believe what they look like!!

We used to run a series called Chump Car. White car is an 85' Cougar and red car is a 68' We didn't run the red car much. But we have wins with the white car at Nelson Ledges (25 1/2 hr race), Daytona (14 hr race), Lime Rock, Watkins and New Jersey.

152FE4DD-293E-4056-AA0A-17F7A18BF98C_zpsxxzxyoiw.jpg

C284EE7B-83D0-4C27-911F-C91174E0E14F_zps4xm3ress.jpg

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
That is awesome. Racing on a budget that the average guy can afford and doing very well. Kudos!!

Where did you stuff the car in Pittsburgh - Pittrace/BeaveRun? The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix has races there every July - not sure if they have a class you'd fit in, but it is a great time and a nice 3.1 mile course.

03'Darin

Established Member
We are all about budget and obviously as understated as we can get. Every race weekend we have a steady flow of people stopping by in amazement of the car and what it does. One of the funniest things happened at NJMP. We had a lady probably in her late 40's come over and asked if she could walk up and look at the car. She said everyone had told her she needed to go look at the car because"it is the fastest piece of shit in the world". lol

We were the first race on the new long track at Pittsburgh. There was a tropical storm coming through and conditions were horrendous. Pouring down rain with areas of river flowing across the track. We had no defrost system in the car so the windshield was completely fogged shut. I was the second driver in rotation. We had punctured a radiator at the end of the first drivers stint so we pitted for a radiator swap, fuel and driver change. I had taken a short broom that we had and zip tied a rag to the end. Every couple of turns I'd have to pick it up and wipe the windshield so i could see. I was trying different lines looking for more traction and the car got out of shape just before the braking zone of the down hill hard right on the new section (not sure what turn that is). That took me off line where the traction was better and I couldn't stop. Went straight out and had a pretty good hit on the guard rail. We attempted to fix the car but the front was pushed over and back so far we couldn't pul it out at the track. So we were done for the weekend.

Just to clarify the pictures of the white car are before it was crashed.

Users who are viewing this thread