Craftsman Hand-Tools Now Made in China

filthymcnasty

Established Member
Hmmm...well, I USED to buy Craftsman tools now. Has anyone noticed that whenever you get tools (or anything) from Sears, that it has turned into an ordeal? First they ask you if you have one 15 rewards cards or if you want to buy one, then they ask for your telephone number, social security number, blood type, sexual orientation, next of kin and birth certificate. Then, after you pay for the item, they print out a 15 foot long receipt with extraneous B.S. on it.

Wildman113

Established Member
This is sad news.

A few years ago when I was in school I bought a full Craftsman ratchet/socket/wrench set with the low-profile ratchets and laser eteched sockets, all made in USA. Great finish, great quality and excellent durability.

The problem is corporate America. Investors/stock holders and upper management are constantly pushing companies for higher profit margins and lower costs. They are never happy with making a certain quality of product for a set cost. Its always about how they can make MORE money with lower cost, regardless of product quality. So some corporate executive can please their boss, get a bigger bonus, get a better return on investment, ect. Its like every company is out to ruin themselves by being greedy - its been seem time and time again.

I think its high time we DISCOURAGE companies from overseas manufacturing and labor sourcing and start imposing tariffs again. If it cost Sears 20% less to build their product overseas, but a tariff was set on imported chinese/tawainese/korean garbage at a rate of 25%, you can bet they would start making products in the US again.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd venture to guess the Taiwan made stuff is just as good as the Made in USA stuff. They make most of our electronics anyway. The difference in metal in the Made in China ratchet is surprising.

I'm not saying that everything from China is crap. They see to do a decent job making iPhones. It's all about what's spec'd and quality control.

I'll buy a Chinese made wrench when a little Chinese guy pops out from under the hood and does the work for me.

Snap-on still American made?

E

The regular Snap-On line is, but their Blue Point line is not. Just for fun I looked up what one Snap-On 1/2 drive ratchet costs ------- $150. A little too much for a weekend wrencher if you ask me, but it should last longer than you.

SR80A, Ratchet, Quick Release, 1/2" drive

damn this sucks, i have like 400 tools from craftsman. it all started with my 250 piece tool box for like 200 bucks.

fortunately i never had issues, but i have been looking into selling that setup for a new one from a different dealer.

That's pretty much how I got started with them.

The sad part is that many American's don't care and will keep buying Craftsman tools, oblivious to the country of origin. We allow this to happen to ourselves. We are creating this world in which we have to live in by the choices we make.

If I hadn't noticed the difference in the finish on the two 3/4 inch drive ratchets in the pics I probably never would have notices the change.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
It's not cheap Chinese crap anymore, now it's expnesive Chinese crap.

This type of stuff kills me. I won't buy craftsman any more.

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
I'm working on something with another American tool manufacturer that should be good for everyone who cares about quality and value.

Intrigued! :pop:

I have a Craftsman toolbox full of Craftsman tools and luckily I haven't been to Sears to pick up any new ones in a while to notice they were not Made In USA. I have a few Snap-On and Matco tools but as everyone knows they are way too expensive for the casual mechanic. I'm all ears for a quality alternative though as one can never have enough tools.

KB01GT

Whipple blown
Established Member
Thats some crap there. I agree that snap-on, Metco ect are very nice tools but they are kinda pricey and for the casual mechanic craftsman was the best bang for the buck. I have all craftsman tools as well as powertools and have loved them or years. I cant believe that they would do something like this. I am actually mad about this for acouple reasons. Time for new tools!

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
What, if any are other cheaper tools made in the USA? Matco, snap on and those brands are just out of my range for tools

EL Conquistador

Established Member
wow i guess this explains why both my new hose clamp pliers and handle on a $100 craftsman torque wrench broke after the first use...

this really sucks because i work in construction and am always buying tools for work and very rarely will i ever buy anything but craftsman simply because of value for the quality you got, the ease of replacing a broken tool and the fact they are (were) american made..oh and the fact every kobalt or husky tool i have every brought to work breaks almost immediately i guess now when i need any tools i will have to break the bank for snap-on or matco :bored:

IA Shelby

Established Member
Someone have the email for the CEO at Sears holding company? Email them the link to this thread if you want to make your thoughts heard.

NuclearPower

Established Member
I just purchased a 309 piece set for $200 bucks. Hopefully they wil last. The box said Made in USA, but you guys have me second guessing myself about that now. I already threw the box away and cant verify...This really sucks!

I second the email to the CEO. If somebody has an email to a higher up in KMart/Sears post it up for us to send "thanks" to.:nonono:

blackshelby

Thats some crap there. I agree that snap-on, Metco ect are very nice tools but they are kinda pricey and for the casual mechanic craftsman was the best bang for the buck. I have all craftsman tools as well as powertools and have loved them or years. I cant believe that they would do something like this. I am actually mad about this for acouple reasons. Time for new tools!

Don't kid yourself about SNAP ON
Snap on tools, most of them are made in China now too.
Snap On owns their own plant in China(they built it a few years back)
Do some research you will see.

Its a real shame almost everything today is made in china, and I have to agree with a post above its our own fault its happening.

Last edited:

WOT 88

Established Member
Snap-on still American made?

E

Some of it, Sid is right in that the Blue Point line is their economy line, mostly of Chinese origin. But I have noticed lately there are few snap-on products popping up that are coming out of China as well. I have some snap-on t-handled nut drivers that are Chinese.

Some of their monthly gimmick crap is also chinese, but most of the hand tools are still made in the US

That is a shame about Craftsman tools, I do not know very many mechanically inclined people that didn't grow up with craftsman tools in their hands.

Last edited:

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
My Dad had always used Craftsman tools, and my first complete tool set was Craftsman. I have since added on to the set, but with off brand such as ampro, gear wrench.

Craftsman Tools have always been the blue collared tool, the casual mechanics american tool. Hell there has even been songs about them... " WD-40 and a craftsman wrench, made in america... "

This is sad..

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Made in the U.S. or not craftsman has always been second to Mac, Matco & Snap-on. The only reason why I buy any craftsman tools is because I know if and when I break it I can just take it to Sears "which are all over" and swap them out. The other three brands that I mentioned is not nearly as convenient.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I use a lot of stuff from advance auto, but it's probably made in a 4th world country. They're good about taking it back though! Plus the ratchets have a tight radius (they click a bunch?)

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Just checked two ratchets I purchased about a month ago. Both said made in the U.S.A., my bet is there is still lots of old stock in many of the stores so it might be a good idea to run out and grab whats left of the old U.S.A. stuff as extras.

I have to get my dad a gift card this week anyways, time to stock up.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
I only purchased Craftsman tools until I had to return a torque wrench and was told it was not covered by their lifetime warranty. I still had the package when I returned it and was told Sears was not honoring those warranties anymore. Snap-On and Matco are nice but not for a weekend wrencher like myself. After that experience with Sears I was told about Harbor Freight and I go there now. I would still buy Craftsman if a)They honored their warranty and b)were still made in the USA. I would prefer to buy American even if it was more expensive but I cannot justify spending the money for Snap On and Matco and Craftsman use to fit the bill. Very sad!!

svtfordracing01

SilverStorm
Established Member
I'm not sure if most of you know, but Sears formed a partnership with Ace Hardware around a year or so ago to sell Craftsman tools. My family own's and operates an Ace here in Oregon and when I re-set the tool department at that time, I remember most (if not all) hand tools being made in the USA. I'll have to take a look now that we've re-ordered for a while. Recently Sears has even made certain Craftsman tools available to Costco, but is not able to with Home Depot or Lowes per their agreement with Ace Hardware. Sad if their going to outsource to China, we could have just kept our Ace brand sockets/wrenches (same lifetime warranty) if that's the case.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Made in the USA, the great price, and the swap out warranty was the lifeline for Craftsman. It has been the only tools I've ever bought. This is terrible news.

I wonder if/when Sears will be asking the Fed for a bailout!?

Users who are viewing this thread