Custom Cam Install this Fall (Pics, Vids, Dyno, Todd Warren)

Intervention302

Established Member
So I finally decided that it was time for cams. My buddy has a set of comp stage 3 and they sound amazing. However, they don't drive all that great. If the rpms fall below 1200-1500 on take off the car coughs and bucks pretty poorly. Also, seems to throw some high IATs (ported Eaton)

I had asked my tuner in the past about cams and wasn't overly enthused. He said it's a lot of money for not that much gain. He said 25-30 from what he has seen in the past from Comps

My car currently makes 640 pump 17.5psi and 767 on 23.5psi and e90

I reached out to Todd Warren in his FB page and got to talking. We discussed what my goals are with my car.

1. Power Gain - I wanted to maximize my power curve and gain even more top end. We decided to go bigger lift that require custom valve springs. Todd believes max power Gain on e90 can be 50-60+whp

2. Lope - I honestly what it to sound mean. Mods aren't necessarily that loud at idle, even with crazy loud exhaust setups. I want something a bit more "imposing"

3. Driveability - Even though I'm listing this last, it was the most important thing to me. My friend's car really doesn't drive that great as I mentioned. I wanted to maximize the drivability of the car and still get the most possible gain with power and sound.

For respect to Todd, I'm not going to list his custom Grind specs or what exactly he wants them degreed to. If he clears me to post it, then I will.

Bullet Racing Cams
Brian Tooley Racing .500 Springs
Crank sproket and cloyes cam gears
ARP cam bolts
New Ford OEM secondary chains
Wonder Racing chain tensioner spacers
New timing cover gasket and valve cover gaskets

Also thought since the motor is coming out I minus well do the wonder racing head cooling kit as well as oil pump gears. I haven't heard of many failures, but if I want to spin to 7200, figured better safe than sorry

Just a couple loose ends to tie up. Still not sure what color I want to do my valve covers

This is scheduled to be installed this Fall. I'll be updating this thread as the install goes

I'll have apples to apples Dyno comparisons as well. I can't wait
c0801e9bca84bdaf7e84b16ad7f24b32.jpg
4f561ec898b6c8a11439ddc84165083e.jpg
956feecab2c137dafc749ef7eaa7aa85.jpg
0642696793b0d6cd3f1537905868d3d5.jpg
5353ecd26709486f8a4a181129fbd656.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wanna hear the lope at idle when you're done. Yeah, it should sound much more menacing at stop lights. ;) With the addition power to back it up. One of the nicest Terminators here on SVTP!
upload_2017-8-30_8-35-35.png

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Very nice! I did the same thing and love the sound. Still working on the tuning, but so far the drivability has been great. I do have higher IAT2 temps when ever the KC isn't on, but I'm in Florida and its always 90+ out.. Hoping for better results once it cools down.

I didn't see head studs listed... Are you planning on doing ARP studs?

Intervention302

Established Member
Very nice! I did the same thing and love the sound. Still working on the tuning, but so far the drivability has been great. I do have higher IAT2 temps when ever the KC isn't on, but I'm in Florida and its always 90+ out.. Hoping for better results once it cools down.

I didn't see head studs listed... Are you planning on doing ARP studs?
Both my tuner and Todd recommened that they weren't really required.

My tuner said he hasn't yet got a call that one of his Cobras has lifted a head

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Both my tuner and Todd recommened that they weren't really required.

My tuner said he hasn't yet got a call that one of his Cobras has lifted a head

Got ya.. I went ahead swapped out my heads with DC cast heads and figured I'd do them for peace of mind.

Excited to see the comparison in numbers pre/post cams.

Intervention302

Established Member
Got ya.. I went ahead swapped out my heads with DC cast heads and figured I'd do them for peace of mind.

Excited to see the comparison in numbers pre/post cams.
My understanding is that when you limit the overlap (go wider) , you lose a bit of power end power, but gain more top end

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Sounds like a good plan. I highly highly recommend doing ARP2000 headstuds while you're there. There really is no reason not to. It's very cheap insurance. Also if you're there I would open up the ring gap on the stock pistons for even more safety. Just my .02

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Very nice. We probably have identical set ups.

These are my cam specs.

If Todd doesn't mind I'm curious to see what he did differently for yours
7d9a5a9d863678e8c5322ecf32a9af5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Intervention302

Established Member
Very nice. We probably have identical set ups.

These are my cam specs.

If Todd doesn't mind I'm curious to see what he did differently for yours
7d9a5a9d863678e8c5322ecf32a9af5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'm not a cam expert, but your specs are a touch more aggressive than mine I believe

CRidge

Established Member
Interested in your results... My new engine is being built now with Todd's cams. I have a 2.9 crusher setup with 10.5:1 CR on E85

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Intervention302

Established Member
Interested in your results... My new engine is being built now with Todd's cams. I have a 2.9 crusher setup with 10.5:1 CR on E85

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Yeah totally stock motor for me so far

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm a huge fan of lopey terminators. On my turbo build, I only needed a mild to moderate stage 2 (I hate calling things stages) cam, but went with a (I hate this) stage 3 specifically for the lope and idle haha.

Here's a video clip of mine idling on the dyno.

I'm excited to see how your cams work out, in for vids and dyno* (edited because iPhones are terrible) results. Good luck!

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
I've been chasing a sound (sounds like crazy detonation), but the car is too smooth to be that

Ended up being header leak at the gasket. One of my studs got a bit loose.

I'm going to be getting a set of 1-3/4 ARH with 3" X to my 2.5" catback.

So it will be slightly different than a true apples to apples Dyno cam test

Users who are viewing this thread