Dyno day almost here

Builtsn95

Established Member
B heads with stock cams, 10:1 compression and 12psi is going to be in the mid to high 400s. If the power is falling off at 6200 it's due to the cams and the boost leveling or dropping off.

Do a compression check, one cylinder on each bank and report back with the results.
So, I'm not off then at 460rwhp....seems all the similar set ups on this site are putting down 550+

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
the 01 cams have less duration than the 96-98s, 4 degrees less. Are you sure you have 01 cams? I recommend you check the part

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
So, I'm not off then at 460rwhp....seems all the similar set ups on this site are putting down 550+
you will not make 550+ on 93 octane, 12psi and 10:1 compression, regardless of cams. Your stock engine had 10:1 compression so adding forged pistons of the same compression will result in no power increase. As for the ported heads, they add little until the boost increases to a very high level.

How much timing is dialed in?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
01 intake cam part numbers: YF3E-6A270 and YF3E-6A271

I sense some ignorance of mod motors or shady business practices with the shop behind this cam swap.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You've checked the part numbers?

4 degrees difference will only make a 3-5hp difference.

Last edited:

Builtsn95

Established Member
You've checked the part numbers?

4 degrees difference will only make a 3-5hp difference in power.
I'll double check. If that's case, though, must be something else. My tuner said we can add the Mafia, it MAY help the RPM issue.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
to me the MAF shouldnt be a questionable thing, either you have head room (looking at MAF counts) or you don't. If the MAF isnt pegged or having signal issues (turbulence or "noise") and messing up your AF ratios then I dont see anything to be gained.

any chance you have a graph you can post? would be helpful if it showed AF and boost

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Are you running a powerpipe? Any form of cooling? Air to air, air to water? What bypass valve?

Builtsn95

Established Member
you will not make 550+ on 93 octane, 12psi and 10:1 compression, regardless of cams. Your stock engine had 10:1 compression so adding forged pistons of the same compression will result in no power increase. As for the ported heads, they add little until the boost increases to a very high level.

How much timing is dialed in?
Max timing under boost is 17*

Builtsn95

Established Member
Maybe I'm expecting too much. The numbers put down in 2005 were right after a Sean Hyland rebuild and chip, although the tune was done by the same shop.

I'm hopeful all cylinders are firing (chances should be low they aren't).....looking forward to swapping pulleys and looking into E85 conversion.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
They did a test of the t - trim, it maxed out at 642 on a 5.0 on 106 octane and iat the over 200*, if your on 93 and that hot you need to keep your rpm down, pull timing air charge cooler or better power adder. Restotck the bank account and keep modding you'll get there.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Post a picture of your engine bay. It sounds like you're not 100% sure on a few things.. Your A/W vortech cooler should already have a heat exchanger, now if it's the stock one that's fine, but if you don't have one at all that's weird..

FWIW I made 580rwhp on my T-trim 9:5 compression engine with a vortech aftercooler 04 Cobra heads AND cams. Not degree'd in just put in stock location. That was on pump 91 and 15psi. so 3 psi less you should still be in the 500rwhp range. The power on mine was rolling over around 6400 as well.

Again what bypass valve do you have? If it's the stock plastic one it could be opening and letting off boost because it can't support that kind of boost. I ran a custom Mondo setup on my engine setup..

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
They did a test of the t - trim, it maxed out at 642 on a 5.0 on 106 octane and iat the over 200*, if your on 93 and that hot you need to keep your rpm down, pull timing air charge cooler or better power adder. Restotck the bank account and keep modding you'll get there.

I ran a T-trim to 680rwhp and only 17psi on 104 octane. IAT's were in the 130's.. He's not out of steam on the T-trim.. Oh and that was on a low compression 5.0 big bore engine, stock heads and cams (04 cobra).. I could have pullied down easily and made well into the 700s..

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Sounds like a good set up 98. Seems there's a reason why tho, if all things equal other than cams. He lost 120 hp and freshened it all up, is be upset too, especially if I paid someone to build it.

Users who are viewing this thread