Fans on Heat exchanger

rz5.0

Established Member
I just got a Gords heat exchanger with fans.. thinking about wiring the fans to come on when my slow speed fan comes on (using a relay of course).. didn't really see a point in having run all the time.. any ideas. Should i just wire it for it to come on when the pump comes on. . Any ideas. . Thanks. .

SlowSVT

Established Member
The system gets warm when it's under boost. When it's under boost means the car is accelerating at a high rate of speed. When the car is accelerating at a high rate of speed means air is being forced thru the HE at an equal velocity. Where are you when your slow speed fan switches on? "in a traffic jam!" when the system not under boost and not generating heat.

@ 100 mph fans behind the HE will be like whispering in someone ear in a hurricane all they will do is get in the way of the air trying to rush past the blades. Save that power for your fuel pumps.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
they work great at track to cool supercharger/engine when combined with running intercooler pump.they also continue to cool fluid in traffic before your next pull.but yea they do nothing at speed!I have mine on A switch in the center console.

rz5.0

Established Member
I know they don't do anything at highway speeds. . That's why i thought about wiring it to the low speed fans. . Fans are usually off at high way speeds. .

Woody6799

Established Member
I was going to get them and hook them up to a switch for if I hit traffic on a cruise, I think the low speed connection is a good idea. A lot of guys get wrapped up with the "at speed" part, but I am with you. I know it won't do anything once you hit 30+, but when you are sitting in traffic in the summer, I want to switch them on. I say do it.

rz5.0

Established Member
Yeah I'm going to go for it tomorrow. . Already have them might as well use them. Im real forgetful and the switch would end up killing my battery from me leaving it on. .

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I wired my fans to a switch as well as the intercooler pump. I know that they impede flow at high speeds but I like having the option to circulate coolant and having the fans on when in traffic or more importantly in the pits at the track. This may change when i finally go to a killer chiller but i'm not sure yet. I have them wired to a switched 12V source so I have to have the key on.

Users who are viewing this thread