Ford Motorsport Headers?

thewrubelator

Established Member
What are you finding junky about them?

Just seem low quality, one side has studs, the other has bolt and nut, two different sizes (not sure if that’s standard on shorty headers as I’ve always had LTs). Whatever coating they use doesn’t hold up at all, the ones on the car are just downright trashed for a car that has never seen inclement weather. The headers probably have 5k on them and look like they have 70k. Cant expect much as they’re not stainless, but still. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member
I originally wanted to do shorties on my car and researched the options. The frpp headers were known to crack, poor quality and the flow on them looked terrible.

The jba shorties look like they flow well but the pass side always cracks.

I went with the jba mids and couldn't be happier.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
After reading several threads, including the popular Terminator FAQ site, I've debated about just getting some stock ones coated and putting them on. But these seem to be doing good and I have no idea how long they've been on. They're definitely coated, too. Just strange, I can't find anything about them, no old ads, flow numbers, etc.

cj428mach

Established Member
M-9430-E464

I believe is the part number. I found a great thread on the internet once about them. It documented the poor quality/cracks. I believe it said only like 250 sets were made.

Last edited:

52merc

Established Member
The slightly earlier version was M-9430-D464 for plain stainless steel and M-9430-D465 for Jet-Hot ceramic coated stainless steel. The 2002 Ford Motorsport catalogue claimed a lifetime warrantee on these headers. I'm missing a few of the later catalogues so I don't have the E464 info. No performance specifications were provided in the catalogue.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Think the early versions would lead to exhaust leaks due to the different shape of the exhaust ports between the 99-01 and the 03-04 cobra heads.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
This actually has me tempted to go longitudes because I know these headers aren't technically correct for this car. Or, as many have done, just go with some jet-coated stock manifolds. Atleast no retune would be needed.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
It's interesting to note, that the last image Summit had shows the same ports as the stock manifolds.

JetHot2.jpg

fms-m-9430-e464_w.jpg

cj428mach

Established Member
You can see in that pic how those shorties suck because they all dump into the same tube. The JBA shorties were 4 individual tubes on each side that went into a collector but the JBA's crack. I read that the reason the shorties crack is because is the primaries are so short they don't have any room for give when the header expands and contracts with heat. Thats why the #4 primary always cracks on the JBA because its like 1" long lol.

I wouldn't bother with the coated the stockers unless the engine is out or something.

I went with these JBA mids
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-6635sjt

They have excellent ground clearance and the O2's are basically in the stock location. I self tune and noticed no tune changes necessary with the addition of just these headers. My only complaints are the matching midpipe is only available in a H pipe setup and 1 header primary needed some slight clearancing to clear the Kmember . I cut my old Stainless UPR X and splice it into the front of the JBA midpipe as I didn't like the H pipe sound.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
@cj428mach - I have a full Griggs front end, do you think I would still need to do any clearing there? There's def a TON of room to work. The car has Bassani mids with cats (not needed here, but the car was formerly from California) and I wouldn't mind it staying "quiet" as opposed to open (getting old, I know)

Users who are viewing this thread