Garage door torsion spring broke, how much should I pay to get it fixed?

primo

Established Member
Hey folks, one of my garage door torsion springs took a dump. I know I need to replace both of them, so what is the average price? i.e. the cost of 2 new springs, service call and labor. I just want to get a ball park number of what I should pay so i dont get bent over whenI am calling for estimates. Thanks, Gene

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't quote me, but I would say for two of them around $300. installed. I just had two complete doors installed (insulated) with all the hardware, torsion sprints, etc. for $1600. Do you have Overhead Door in your area?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, I forgot to ask. Did the spring do any damage when it broke? I had one break once and part of the spring near put a hole in the wall. It wouldn't be pretty if it broke and hit your car. You're smart replacing them both now.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Oh, I forgot to ask. Did the spring do any damage when it broke? I had one break once and part of the spring near put a hole in the wall. It wouldn't be pretty if it broke and hit your car. You're smart replacing them both now.
No kidding, I about had one take my head off when I was a kid :eek: How big are the doors/springs, that makes a big difference in price as well.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Holy smokes I had no idea those springs were that expensive! They were big, but I just never thought about it. We've never had them.

whitelightning9

Established Member
Call around!! I had one replaced about a year ago and everyone wanted about 150-160 for one, and then I found a place that did them for 90 each. Best to do both, but I had one replaced about a year earlier.

stevieb

Established Member
Yeah $300 is about the range of 2 new springs. You have to do both though, if one broke the other is probably not too far behind. I had aa door guy tell me the second time I had them replaces that they are only good for about 600-1k cycles. I got tired of messing with them and paid $1600 bucks for a Martin steel door, everything is warrantied for life, including the springs.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
whitelightning9 said:
Call around!! I had one replaced about a year ago and everyone wanted about 150-160 for one, and then I found a place that did them for 90 each. Best to do both, but I had one replaced about a year earlier.

same here..90 bucks.. mine busted a few months ago. I had actually just closed the garage and was walking in the house when that bastard broke..scared the hell out of me ...I only did the one though, from the other posts..I guess I'll be doing the other sometime in the near future :kaboom:

pgpony

Established Member
We sell replacement springs at the hardware store that I work at. I just had a guy buy two sets yesterday. I think the invoice was $33 for a pair. So if your brave enough to replace them yourself, you can save some cash by buying them at a hardware store.

93octane

Established Member
About $90 installed the guy who installed it adviced me to put some wd-40 every month. Just spray it and it keeps it from rusting and creating friction and it opens and closes and it will last you a long time.

stevieb

Established Member
pgpony said:
We sell replacement springs at the hardware store that I work at. I just had a guy buy two sets yesterday. I think the invoice was $33 for a pair. So if your brave enough to replace them yourself, you can save some cash by buying them at a hardware store.

Thats cheap. I highly highly recommend having someone with experience put them in though.
I knew a couple of people that tried it and one has the nastiest scar on his forearm with about 1/3 of the muscle tissue missing and the other shattered his jaw trying this. Life cant be the same after this happens.
I know I was going to try and increase the tension on my old door to make up for the door getting heavier as it soaked up water during the winter. When I did some research it didnt take much to convince me to pay the couple hundred bucks to have a knowledgable person do it.

primo

Established Member
Well, with tax it came out to $380 :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
I got lifetime springs though, so if they bust, I just have to pay $50 for the service call and $150 for the install. Yeah thats right, $150 bucks for a half an hours worth of work. I was hot dude. I wanted to wrap the old spring around his neck. Heres a rundown of the invoice:
Springs $100 X2 = 200
Labor = 150
Service call = 50
AAA Discount =-36
Tax = 16

After watching him do it, i will be installing the next set if they ever break. I will just get my free replacement and tell them to shove it. No special tools, only a pair of vicegrips, and (2) 1/4" steal bars for winding the springs. There goes my solid axle swap money :cuss:

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
you guys wrench on cars and can't replace springs?

I guess I'm the opposite. I don't touch the car, but I've replaced the springs on my parent's garage door a few times over my existence. I think the springs were ~$15 each. $30 a pair, 30 minutes, done.

People get paid $300 for this? i need a new job!

primo

Established Member
No crap, after I watched him do it, I think a spring install on a mustang is more dangerous. I was actually told from 5 different places that I could be seriously harmed or killed if I didn't know what I was doing. Ya, thats probably right, but after watching him do it, my damn 2 year old nephew could do it. I am so pissed, not that I paid $200 for springs, I needed them. But I'm pissed mainly the $150 bucks for the install. I am thinking of getting a weekend garage door service job, and giving honest quotes and honest service just to spite these bastards. Not one of the companies I called would give me a quote over the phone. I also called yesterday and no one would give me a labor quote. They all told me that it depends on how bad the damage is. C'mon man, its a broken spring, be honest you bastards. Rant off

Users who are viewing this thread