High boost TVS guys in here please

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Killer chiller or e-85 for iat control, getting a good reading, that’s what’s questionable I guess. Even with turbulence inside the intake plenum there’s bound to be stagnant voids that wouldn’t exchange air evenly.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I looked at the IAT depth when we originally designed the blower back in 2010, the main concern was that it still worked and detected higher IAT temps to protect the motor.

The back of the blower is the coolest "end", since incoming air cools the housing, the case gets hottest in the front where all the air is piling up. I have recorded 300F case temps up front and 150F in back when open tracking with my old TVS powered GT500.

I personally don't believe the cobra intercooler is very good, nor the sensor accurate enough, to give really good transitional readings.

If you have an intercooler pump fail, the engine often blows because the IAT retard function can not pull timing fast enough. I believe this is a limitation of the IAT response rate. In race applications running a lot of boost I try to pull all the timing by 200*F...i'm talking about pulling out all the timing so the engine no longer wants to accelerate.

On the flip side, on a lower boost application, I have seen the 11:1 coyote engine tolerate steady 150-170F down streams with no problems for 15 minutes on the road course.

I have tried a lot with the larger 5.0l and GT500 intercooler cores...from higher flow, to ice, to converting to single pass, and there isn't a whole lot you can do in my opinion except increase flow, to a point, or increase core area. The cobra core is 25% smaller than GT500/Ford GT/5.0l. Whatever you to do increase flow, you have to measure it as a system to take into account everything that creates backpressure. 4gpm is a good baseline flow rate, 5-6gpm is better, I haven't seen an improvement with much more than 6-8gpm.

I will take a look at the IAT sensor depth and consider some of the input on here.

Soap

Established Member
I looked at the IAT depth when we originally designed the blower back in 2010, the main concern was that it still worked and detected higher IAT temps to protect the motor.

Wait what? According to that info, it looks like my "theory" is spot on. If you guys did purposely design the depth of the IAT2 sensor like that I think you did a lot of people an injustice because there is a decrease in performance with high readings. Saying you did it to protect the motor is ridiculous, that is why the tune starts pulling timing at XXX*. The tune is the protection. The sensor is there to give accurate info.

I personally don't believe the cobra intercooler is very good, nor the sensor accurate enough, to give really good transitional readings.

I'm not here to question the responsiveness/accuracy of the sensor, nor am I here to compare the 03-04 intercooler system to any other vehicle. I know that with the correct modifications, the 03-04 system is more than capable of handling all the heat you can possibly throw at it.

Like I said, I will have a definitive answer here in a couple days. Been raining for 2 straight days here so I haven't been able to get out and datalog my results.

--Joe

mnetwork

Established Member
I'm tempted just to buy cheap one off eBay and extend the little temp sensor leads and plastic cage to see the temp difference.

Soap

Established Member
Here is my redneck engineering. Before and after pics.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

--Joe

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Can’t wait to see your results. It looks promising as far as getting more accurate readings.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TP 112

Established Member
Nice work Soap ! I’ll be waiting on your results also. But it has to be better then it was surely.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread