How I installed 2012 seats in New Edge

KEVINS

Established Member
I found some 2012 Coyote seats on ebay for $250 that did not have the airbags deployed and shipping was another $200 (ouch!) so for $450 I have a pair of really nice front and rear seats to use in my 2002 GT. The rear seats won't fit but I'll use the cloth from them to repair any panels in the front seats. My plan is to install the front seats and get the rollbar redone then when it's all done have an upholsterer take the material from the rear seats and replace any cloth in the front seats that aren't perfect. I'm hoping they can also create a notch in the side of the seats to clear the side bars, crossing my fingers!

Since the roll bar was rubbing on the old seats I cut the bar out and will have one formed around the new seats and door panels so it doesn't rub. It's going to be tight so we may have to get creative when this time comes.

The 2012 seat mounting brackets are about 4.5" wider than the stock mounting brackets and wouldn't sit flat on the floor so I decided that I was going to fab new brackets that would mount to the existing front seat studs. Comparing the two bottom views you can see the before and after where I basically section out approx 4.5" then welded it back together. To make some of the other brackets fit correctly I was able to grind off the rivets that held on small brackets then flip them around and bolt them back on.

I still need to drill holes in the floor for the rear brackets but I should be able to just drill through the floor and bolt them down. I may need a 3/8"-1/2" spacer between the floor and seat bracket but this won't be an issue.

It was a long day in figuring out how I wanted to do it but once done there's not much fab work just a lot of grinding to get rid of the rivets and a few welds to make.

Overall I like how it fits and love how it looks. There's no rubbing except the seat belt near the floor but these seats are wide and barely fit.

Also, these seat sliders don't have as much forward/back travel maybe only 6" so keep this in mind when locating the seats.

I also plan to buy new plastic covers and levers for the seats since they are cheap which will make them look brand new.

Note: These seats have a pouch of fluid in the bottom seat pad that is used for a pressure sensor. I didn't know this so I just cut all the wires and tube's since none of it was going to get used. Well, the fluid would continuously leaked over everything and whenever I sat in the seat it would squirt the goo all over the place... You've been warned.

ks

IMG_9232.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9238.jpg

IMG_9243.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

32icon321

Established Member
Looks good. I’ve been wanting to do this also.
I would be hesitant about drilling the floor though for the rear brackets. Is it to much trouble to modify the brackets to use the existing holes?
Or could you use the original rear brackets and fab onto the 2012 seat bracket?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

KEVINS

Established Member
Looks good. I’ve been wanting to do this also.
I would be hesitant about drilling the floor though for the rear brackets. Is it to much trouble to modify the brackets to use the existing holes?
Or could you use the original rear brackets and fab onto the 2012 seat bracket?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

If someone can't drill a hole in the floor and create plates to add support (which is what the factory does) then people shouldn't be doing this type of mod. If they can't fab parts then they should buy the brackets that someone is selling for $250 that is supposed to be a bolt-in deal.

My racing seats have the stock sliders fabbed onto them so I don't know exactly how the stock brackets looks but I looked at using them, however, I would say it's nearly impossible to use the stock brackets on the 2012 seats. If it was doable I don't know how the rear bolts can be accessed b/c they are so far under the rear seat unless the seat is raised up. The stock GT brackets are really short compared to the 2012 brackets and the rear bolts are right under where you sit instead of the back edge of the seat bracket where it's better to have strength/support for this seat assembly.

ks

KEVINS

Established Member
FINALLY! After two months I finally received the roll bar pieces from being chrome plated. I'm glad I did chrome vs powder coat I think it makes the car look a little more refined.

Today was the first day in over 10 months that I got to drive it around town and the 2012 Coyote seats are REALLY comfy despite the 100* temps! Due to the amount of time it took for the chroming I haven't got the seats reupholstered yet and since car show season is here I may have to do it over the winter.

ks
IMG_94697378-original.JPG
IMG_94707378-original.JPG
IMG_94737378-original.JPG

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
Those look really good, as does the chrome bars. I understand that the later seats are more comfortable than the new edge seats, but I always thought those brackets you can buy to make the swap look a little bulky. The way you did it is much better.

On a related note, I just recovered my stock seats with a TMI kit from LMR. Took 6 weeks to get it, and they had to redo one backrest (sewed a J channel on backwards) but it was worth the hassle. I also did new foam, and the seats look better than new.

Just thought I would pass that along in case someone is thinking of doing it too.

97gtconv.

Established Member
I sure do like the coyote seats more than the SN95 ones after sitting in my former gf's 2011 5.0. keeping this swap in mind cause my tan 97 ones are beat.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice work on those great looking seats. They go really well with the New Edge interior.

Users who are viewing this thread