How to install resonators without welding on your Bassani X pipe

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My catalytic converters recently died so I pulled them out and installed the straight pipe inserts that come with the Bassani X. That was just way to obnoxious and a headache daily driving. Overly raspy and cackling as you drive and just way to loud. I had neighbors complaining and was just attracting way to much unwanted attention from the local cops.

I wanted to install some resonators in place where the cats used to be but didn't want to weld on that $650 X pipe in case I sell it one day if I switch to long tubes and need a different X.

For those that are not familiar with these X pipes they have cats that slip on and very wide band clamps that don't pinch the metal down so you can slip the cats in and remove them with basic hand tools and same for the straight pipe inserts. The only problem is one side slips in and the other side slides over. So one end is 2.5" ID and the other end is 2.5" OD. Humm....

So here's the closest thing I could find at Summit Racing. A stainless steel resonator of almost identical proportions to the Bassani cats. Here's the exact part

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1792

Here's the resonator next to the cat

photo%25201.JPG

So the ends you see on the right side of the pic above where the same size. Perfect. The ends on the left side of pic where different. So I figured the cats are junked anyways might as well cut the end off and put it on the resonator.

So here we go. Cut the end off the resonator

photo%25202.JPG

Welded on the end from the old cat

photo%25205.JPG

Put slits in the other end just like the factory cats have so the band clamps can compress it down and seal

photo%25204.JPG

Two completed resonators that should now be slip on/in design like the Bassani cats

photo%25201.JPG

Test fitting the slip in. Perfect!

photo%25202.JPG

The resonators are straight through design too so performance should have no impact.

photo%25203.JPG

Slipped in and clamped down like it was made for the x pipe

photo%25203.JPG

The results were amazing. Day and night difference. I'm amazed at how much noise and cackle those two tiny resonators where able to get rid of. The idle is still pretty loud and it still has a mean sound it's just so much more controlled and all that high pitched rasp when you accelerate is gone. It's actually so much quieter on the highway now when I punch it the blower sounds much louder :) Love it.

So there you go guys. How to get some resonators in without cutting or welding on the Bassani x pipe.

Fender34

Established Member
Can you upload a video of your car with that on? Awesome post. Interested as to how it sounds!

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Very cool. Nice work. Do the resonators sound any different than the cats did? Got a video plz? Lol

94slowbra1

Established Member
great find. i removed my cats a few months ago and the rasp is starting to get to me. was looking for a straight through resonator/muffler and couldnt find one. these are perfect. im going to order a set tomorrow

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
Great work Malcom!

I have the ARH X and one of the cats started to collapse. ARH suggested to remove the substrate from the cats and leave the cat housings to act as the resonator. I was skeptical but had them remove the substrate. Installed the pipe back on and it sounds about the same as when it had the substrates.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thanks guys. After driving around a lot today with the new setup I gotta say I still really love it. Hearing all kinds of blower noises and whistles I hadn't before lol.
I don't have any video yet but I'll see what I can do. My son took some video a couple weeks ago with his cell phone of the old setup idling and revving in the driveway but it was so loud even at idle that it over powered the mic and is all distorted and weird sounding. Nothing at all like it really sounded.

The new setup still idles pretty mean and fairly loud which is nice. It's not as tinny at idle though. A slightly deeper tone. Part throttle driving while still mean sounding is so much more controlled and quiet. WOT is much quieter. Obviously quite by comparison to the old setup, I mean it's still Borla Stingers out back.

For the person asking how does it compare to when the cats where in there. Both my son and I agree it's quieter than it was with the cats. Not drastically but noticeably.

I hit a car cruise/get together last night and got a few compliments on the exhaust sounding good.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Another question, why wouldn't you just buy some replacement bassani cats to put in there instead of going through the trouble that you did?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Another question, why wouldn't you just buy some replacement bassani cats to put in there instead of going through the trouble that you did?

That's the first thing I tried. I called Bassani and about fell over when I heard how much they wanted for a pair of replacement cats. Almost as much as a whole new x pipe from them. I considered it for a bit and then thought what if the second set of cats just fail. How much is that going to cost? I asked them about warranty or replacing the cats I had and they wouldn't give me a straight answer. All they could say was that I needed to box up the cats I have and mail it to them and they will inspect. "If" they determine the cats failed under warranty they could offer to sell me another set at a discounted price. They wouldn't disclose what the so called discount price was either till I was actually eligible. Sounded way to much like a scam. I would be out shipping and be right back to where I was. So instead for $100 I installed the resonators which I know won't fail and be done.

cj428mach

Established Member
That's the first thing I tried. I called Bassani and about fell over when I heard how much they wanted for a pair of replacement cats. Almost as much as a whole new x pipe from them. I considered it for a bit and then thought what if the second set of cats just fail. How much is that going to cost? I asked them about warranty or replacing the cats I had and they wouldn't give me a straight answer. All they could say was that I needed to box up the cats I have and mail it to them and they will inspect. "If" they determine the cats failed under warranty they could offer to sell me another set at a discounted price. They wouldn't disclose what the so called discount price was either till I was actually eligible. Sounded way to much like a scam. I would be out shipping and be right back to where I was. So instead for $100 I installed the resonators which I know won't fail and be done.

I'm glad you're happy with it and the quality of your work/mods is top notch as always. FYI you can buy bullet cats off ebay that look like those ones you took off for very cheap. I bought a set of 2" ones for another project for under $50 a piece and they're stainless.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I'm glad you're happy with it and the quality of your work/mods is top notch as always. FYI you can buy bullet cats off ebay that look like those ones you took off for very cheap. I bought a set of 2" ones for another project for under $50 a piece and they're stainless.

Most generics have the same size ID on each end though. So you'd still have to do some custom work though to make them slip in without welding on your X pipe right? That's good to know though. If I move to a state that requires emissions I'll have to change to cats.... and a host of other issues lol.

vadorsnake04

Established Member

Very cool! I was just curious, but that makes sense! How old is the x pipe by chance?

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Nice work. What type weld did you use on the SS (TIG, MIG (wire type, gas)..)?

I also added short resonators to my mid pipe (prochamber), the difference was small, I was running flowmasters at that time. I have since swiched to Stingers, and don't like the results. I imagine the Stingers would be even worse (raspy) w/o the resonators. I have some magnapaks waiting to go in place of the stingers.

Users who are viewing this thread