Idler Pulley Debate

RKHiPerformance

www.MetcoMotorsports.com
Established Member
Also, Metco does NOT make the pulleys for LFP. Like others have mentioned, I would have spent a couple extra bucks and went with the METCO all around.

Jon is correct...We have no association with LFP whatsoever. LFP has built a business based on unauthorized knock-offs of original products and designs.

Glenn, once you receive your tensioner pulley (which shipped today), I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the LFP parts vs ours. No pressure and certainly no ill will, just curious.

As was correctly stated in this thread, the reason that pulley upgrades are more popular for the blower drive than they are for the accessory drive is because of the extreme harmonics, load, and tension the idlers are subjected to on the blower belt. Accessory-drive pulleys operate in a much less severe environment, and pulley failures are less common. We offer the accessory-drive pulley kit as both a durability and cosmetic upgrade for guys doing full builds and also for guys who'd prefer that all the pulleys match.

We are very grateful for the support of the Cobra community, and we will continue to do our absolute best to make high-quality parts. I'll also work on getting that MTP0003 tensioner pulley listed on our website. ;)

Thanks to all,
Rick
Metco Motorsports

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
^^^ Awesome!!! And thank you for posting and clarifying some issues Rick. I GREATLY appreciate it. I had no idea about the knockoffs and just assumed since they looked like yours that LFP purchased from you.

When I called your office to make the tensioner pulley purchase I was asked to provide pictures of the install. I will gladly do that and provide some feedback on the LFP pulley's. I can tell you just by looking at the LFP pulley's they look exactly like yours Rick. Same style coating, same type of bearing retaining ring, same cap and even the same style bolt to boot.

I have no clue on how they will perform, but I can tell you my set up is very close to stock and I made my purchase mainly for aesthetic reasons. I like everything to match.

If I would have known then what I know now I would have just bought everything directly from you Rick. However, we all know what happens when you ASSUME. And I hope you can accept my apology for my assumption Rick.

Thank you again for getting back to me through email and for providing me with a GREAT product and AMAZING customer service.

RKHiPerformance

www.MetcoMotorsports.com
Established Member
^ There's no need for any apology, Glenn. Unfortunately, it happens all the time.
My hope is that upon close examination of our pulleys, you will see that there are differences between ours and the LFP.

We appreciate your business and the kind words,
Rick & Kristi
Metco Motorsports

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Got my 8 rib tensioner pulley from Rick at METCO. THANK YOU RICK!!!

Awesome piece. Since it's double roller it came with aluminum spacers to ensure the pulley lines up. The box even has the instructions mounted to the lid.

METCO thinks of everything!!!!!

20161207_161311_zpsfvrbrkbb.jpg

20161207_161324_zpssipkr5gw.jpg

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Got my 8 rib tensioner pulley from Rick at METCO. THANK YOU RICK!!!

Awesome piece. Since it's double roller it came with aluminum spacers to ensure the pulley lines up. The box even has the instructions mounted to the lid.

METCO thinks of everything!!!!!
20161207_161311_zpsfvrbrkbb.gif

20161207_161324_zpssipkr5gw.gif

I need to order one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay got my pulleys installed on the brackets and tensioners, but they have not been placed on the car yet as I'm going to do a major upgrade after some arm twisting from this bunch (Stay tuned).

Unbeknownst to me I made an assumption in thinking that LFP bought their pulleys from Metco. WRONG!!!

So, after comparing the two I have come to find that Metco is actually a superior product. Obviously I cannot check performance yet, but in looking at them side by side the Metco's have a better finish/machined surface. The Metcos are brighter and smoother. It's hard to tell in these pics.

The inner belt and both tensioner pulleys are Mecto:

20161224_115355_zpsijxvyltg.jpg

20161224_115024_zpsytatgfsi.jpg

20161224_115007_zpswfsxye68.jpg

Outer belt pulleys are LFP (Minus tensioner):

20161224_162909_zps9why7yaz.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^^ Yep, the inner idler pulleys should be a low priority. If you like the added sense of security, go ahead and spring for the inner pulleys. Smart of you to return the LFP idlers and go with Metco.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well, LFP didn't try to pull the wool over my eyes. I made that assumption based on what I seen. I looked at the LFP pulleys and since they looked like the Metcos, I assumed LFP purchased from Metco. So, that was purely on me.

Then someone here got me straight and I got further confirmation from Rick on the real deal.

What I "might" do is buy the Metco outers and then place the LFP's on my Vert since it will remain stock. I'm sure the stock Cobra set up will not place too much of a strain on the LFP pulleys.

Thanks for the feedback brothers......

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone I started my METCO inner idler pulley install this weekend. Everything went great except for one very minor detail.

As you can see in the photos the Metco pulleys have a little snout on them. When I installed my tensioner with the Metco pulley it hit my timing chain cover and would not let me move it up and down for belt installation.

I purchased an 8 rib pulley from Metco and it came with spacers, so that gave me an idea. I used 2 washers per bolt hole in between the tensioner and timing chain cover. This gave the needed clearance between the pulley snout and timing chain cover. It works perfectly and there are no alignment issues between the tensioner pulley and the other pulleys.

And as you can see, even though the installation is not finished, the Metco pulleys are a thousand times better looking than the stock set up.

METCO FTW!!!!
20170102_103148_zpsxf7dtsdw.jpg

20170108_115158_zpsxthccozj.jpg

20170108_115238_zpswqng1lds.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread