Infamous tranny whine...

tjcase85

Established Member
Have a 2013 GT with 35k on it. Bone stock performance wise. Yesterday I banged a few gears (I'm very easy on my car) and now it has a very faint whine in 3rd and 4th. Still shifts smooth. Has a upr bracket on it. Should I worry? Some say it's normal, some say the tranny is dying. Would it still be under warranty?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Paul.

Established Member
Mine whined right off the bat from Ford. They ended replacing it under warranty. Excessive mainshaft endplay - which is EXACTLY what I told them it would be, despite having to argue with the dealership idiots about it for weeks.

Ford service is terrible. I've had zero positive experiences. Ever.

nxhappy

Established Member
you could try some quality tranny fluid such as Asmoil....

hand-filer

Established Member
Consider trying Redline MTL. Mine was noisy in first through third gear from new and the Redline quietened it right down for 2 years of noise free driving.

Based on several glowing reviews for Amsoil Syncromesh I decided to give it a try and 2 weeks later the bearings went out. The replacement transmission is doing just fine on Redline MTL. I use Amsoil for just about every application but will not use it in an MT-82 ever again. It's too thin IMHO.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Id swap out to some Amsoil. Mine whined a little bit and that cleared it up. Now my rear end started whining though lol

StalkerStang

Established Member
Mine just started whining in pretty much every gear after my last track outing.

I didn't miss any gears but I shift it like I mean it...... Still shifts great, just makes more noise now.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I highly recommend that you try one of my MT-82 shifter gasket kits. Some call them "noise reduction" kits. That's their primary purpose. Noise reduction; keep the bulk of the tranny noise from entering the cabin. Go to my website and read some of the testimonials. That and going to Amsoil should keep you quietly happy. :)

tjcase85

Established Member
Mine just started whining in pretty much every gear after my last track outing.

I didn't miss any gears but I shift it like I mean it...... Still shifts great, just makes more noise now.

That's where mine is at now. Shifts smooth but now whining in every gear. I haven't got around to changing the fluid yet.

JDos1

Established Member
Consider trying Redline MTL. Mine was noisy in first through third gear from new and the Redline quietened it right down for 2 years of noise free driving.

Based on several glowing reviews for Amsoil Syncromesh I decided to give it a try and 2 weeks later the bearings went out. The replacement transmission is doing just fine on Redline MTL. I use Amsoil for just about every application but will not use it in an MT-82 ever again. It's too thin IMHO.
You do know that tech spec wise, Amsoil Syncromesh (MTF) and Redline MTL are very similar oils, right? Very close viscosities at operating temps. Higher doubt it was MTF that caused the bearings to go out.

I wouldn't run a straight dose of either. Personally I'd go with no thinner a mixture than 2 qts of MTF (Syncromesh) and 1 qt MTG. However in hot climates straight MTG would be fine. I've run straight MTG for 130k miles and have nothing but positive experiences with this MT82.

hand-filer

Established Member
You do know that tech spec wise, Amsoil Syncromesh (MTF) and Redline MTL are very similar oils, right? Very close viscosities at operating temps. Higher doubt it was MTF that caused the bearings to go out.

I wouldn't run a straight dose of either. Personally I'd go with no thinner a mixture than 2 qts of MTF (Syncromesh) and 1 qt MTG. However in hot climates straight MTG would be fine. I've run straight MTG for 130k miles and have nothing but positive experiences with this MT82.

Maybe a coincidence but I've had success with Redline MTL in 2 MT-82's and had one of them fail shortly after switching to Amsoil MTF.

The internet is full of opinions and this is mine.

5lho

Established Member
Mine started whining on my last car, no provocation, at about 6000 miles and upon convincing Ford to disassemble it, it was pretty fragged inside. 5th gear cluster done, tailshft housing, every bearing and seal. I had said to them the input shaft bearing likely failed and that was in fact the precipitating cause.

tjcase85

Established Member
Mine started whining on my last car, no provocation, at about 6000 miles and upon convincing Ford to disassemble it, it was pretty fragged inside. 5th gear cluster done, tailshft housing, every bearing and seal. I had said to them the input shaft bearing likely failed and that was in fact the precipitating cause.
How loud was your whine? Mine is very faint.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I could barely hear a whine in that video. Must definitely be very faint, like you said.

tjcase85

Established Member
should I take it to the dealer? 13 with 36k on it. It's just a pain because I work late every night, and have to drop it off for a couple days. The whine is there under load.

Famine

Established Member
Too bad I'm not switching to the 6r80 right this second or I would cut you a great deal on my mt82 with 8k miles on it. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread