info for people with reflux

jdcobra

Established Member
So about a month ago, I had received a breathing treatment, corticosteroids, and antibiotics for an asthma episode. In turn, it set off what was thought to be horrible reflux. I was already on a 14 day course of Prevacid for minor reflux due to stress. Was prompted to double dose of meds and the reflux seemed to increase so I went to a gastroenterologist.

They put me on Dexilant 60 mg once daily with carafate 4 times a day. My heartburn seemed to get worse over time so a en endoscopy was scheduled for 3/19 on which they found inflammation only but took 3 biopsies checking for anything irregular, including h pylori.

This past week, no antacid or anything seemed to help but only make symptoms worse. I was doing research online and found an interesting forum with someone claiming that Coca-Cola helped reduce acid reflux. The phosphoric acid in coke when consumed would tell your body to not produce as much due to the acidic content being taken in.

Sure enough, I had tested it out and almost immediately my heartburn and reflux were gone.

So this tells me that I was having rebound reflux from antacids and h2 blockers, probably from the PPI as well.

I believe initially I was having acid rebound from the doubled dose of Prevacid that I was originally prescribed to take.

Having an endoscopy was crucial to make sure no cancerous cells are found and that no ulcers have formed. But, I’d recommend also asking about having stomach acid ph levels checked because you could actually be having rebound reflux or you’re not producing enough acid which can cause the same symptoms as too much.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
DEXILANT IS AN AMAZING MEDICATION, but expensive. unfortunately, there wont be a knock off (generic ) for many years.

do you have a hernia? Coffee drinker? eat late meals? all of those things can make it worse

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
0D2B6403-9FB0-4403-B288-9941C4746E7C.jpeg
Dexilant FTW!!!

jdcobra

Established Member
DEXILANT IS AN AMAZING MEDICATION, but expensive. unfortunately, there wont be a knock off (generic ) for many years.

do you have a hernia? Coffee drinker? eat late meals? all of those things can make it worse

No hernia or anything of the sort. I was guilty of having a bad diet but my eating habits have changed in the last month as well which has probably helped.

No eating after seven, waiting at least two hours to lay down after, and cut out the greasy foods as well to help inflammation heal.

CV355

_
Established Member
Hypo vs hyper. I've been doing 2 full glasses of diluted ACV every day and it has made a world of difference and cleared up other long term issues.

For me, carbonation triggers acid reflux. It's one of the many reasons I don't drink alcohol- aside from it being a huge waste of money, I get reflux within minutes.

jdcobra

Established Member
I was given a heavy dose of steroids (4 different kinds) for my asthma. I was pretty much setup to fail from the start by going to a urgent clinic.

The biggest kick in the pants is that I thought I’d save money by not going to the ER, when now I owe like 5x the amount.

Lesson learned

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
By chance have you guys noticed any change in taste or smell? I've had pretty bad acid reflux and 99% of sodas I absolutely can not drink now due to the taste. Most colognes also smell terrible now.

jdcobra

Established Member
By chance have you guys noticed any change in taste or smell? I've had pretty bad acid reflux and 99% of sodas I absolutely can not drink now due to the taste. Most colognes also smell terrible now.

Not really. I’ve never really had reflux before since I am young-ish lol. My episode was brought on by overmedication from corticosteroids for my asthma. I will eventually get the test done for the LES though to make sure it’s operating properly.

jdcobra

Established Member
Omeprazole here also. Can eat habaneros or anything like that with no issue.

Be careful with that! Just because you can eat em doesn’t mean you should. Like any other disease it can progress if you’re careless with your diet. I’d give anything to have the meds work and not have to have surgery :/

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Dexilant did nothing for me, and like you, I felt that my symptoms were worsened by it. To this day the only thing that has worked is Max strength Zantac (walmart brand) 150mg, once in the morning and once again before I go to bed. I had 6 free months of Dexilant because my Doc gave me a shit ton of samples. I am glad I never had to pay for it.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Dexilant did nothing for me, and like you, I felt that my symptoms were worsened by it. To this day the only thing that has worked is Max strength Zantac (walmart brand) 150mg, once in the morning and once again before I go to bed. I had 6 free months of Dexilant because my Doc gave me a shit ton of samples. I am glad I never had to pay for it.

Bingo! The ranitidine in Zantac works much better than the omeprazole I was prescribed. Not to mention PPIs like omeprazole can be bad for you longterm.

jdcobra

Established Member
Bingo! The ranitidine in Zantac works much better than the omeprazole I was prescribed. Not to mention PPIs like omeprazole can be bad for you longterm.

Oh yea I know! It robs your ability to get the nutrients from food over time and causes skeletal issues. That’s why I’m having a procedure done soon.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Oh yea I know! It robs your ability to get the nutrients from food over time and causes skeletal issues. That’s why I’m having a procedure done soon.

Yep I took it for a year and nearly had the Achilles’ tendon rupture in left leg, had issue in my lower right calf too. Was running and it partially tore, popped, dropped me like a buck on opening day. I also tore a bicep doing pull-ups... I have never had muscular, skeletal issues in my life and have worked out, ran for years. This shit all started after I started taking omeprazole. I quit taking it a little over 1.5 years ago and finally feel like I’m getting back to my previous form.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
So a recent visit to my gastroenterologist yesterday had a unexpected and potentially cool side benefit that may be of interest to some of you.

I'm seeing a gastroenterologist because when I had my first colonoscopy at 50 they found a few polyps. So I've been on a biennial colonoscopy regime for the last 6 years. At my recent appointment he asked if I was still taking all the same medications as when I went to see him the last time. I told him I had been recently
diagnosed by an ENT with GERD. I had been having difficulty swallowing and an occasional scratchy sore throat. The ENT prescribed a PPI (Protonix) and I've been symptom free ever since. Well my gastro doc tells me that one third of the people he sees with reflux/GERD are actually suffering from a type of bacterial infection in their small intestine. He goes on to say he's able to cure many people with a simple treatment done as part of an upper GI and afterwards they no longer require medicines for their reflux. So he scheduled me for an upper GI at the same time they perform my next colonoscopy (end of October).

If I can remember to do it I'll update this thread and let you know whether this treatment he's going to perform actually fixes my GERD or not.

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread