info for people with reflux

jdcobra

Established Member
So a recent visit to my gastroenterologist yesterday had a unexpected and potentially cool side benefit that may be of interest to some of you.

I'm seeing a gastroenterologist because when I had my first colonoscopy at 50 they found a few polyps. So I've been on a biennial colonoscopy regime for the last 6 years. At my recent appointment he asked if I was still taking all the same medications as when I went to see him the last time. I told him I had been recently
diagnosed by an ENT with GERD. I had been having difficulty swallowing and an occasional scratchy sore throat. The ENT prescribed a PPI (Protonix) and I've been symptom free ever since. Well my gastro doc tells me that one third of the people he sees with reflux/GERD are actually suffering from a type of bacterial infection in their small intestine. He goes on to say he's able to cure many people with a simple treatment done as part of an upper GI and afterwards they no longer require medicines for their reflux. So he scheduled me for an upper GI at the same time they perform my next colonoscopy (end of October).

If I can remember to do it I'll update this thread and let you know whether this treatment he's going to perform actually fixes my GERD or not.

U.M.

I think you may be referring to “SIBO” or small bacterial intestinal overgrowth. Hopefully it works for ya!

jdcobra

Established Member
Alright, so at the end of this month I’m going to attempt the first procedure and see how it goes. My surgeon reported great success with Stretta so that will be the first plan of attack! Will update to let y’all know how it goes.

jdcobra

Established Member
Had the Stretta this morning and the doctor said everything went amazing! The sphincter wasn’t all the way open and I just had transient LES relaxations. After two weeks the swelling will subside and will notice a big improvement in 8-12 weeks with full benefit in 6 months.

BleedBlueOval

Established Member
Are any of you burping like crazy for extended periods of time? I'm not sure if I have some kind of GERD or if I'm growing out of my lactose tolerance. I can eat cheeses but milk and greek yogurt is making me burp like crazy. Whenever I get bloated both top and bottom, I have 0 appetite. I've lost 15 pounds so far since July.

jdcobra

Established Member
Are any of you burping like crazy for extended periods of time? I'm not sure if I have some kind of GERD or if I'm growing out of my lactose tolerance. I can eat cheeses but milk and greek yogurt is making me burp like crazy. Whenever I get bloated both top and bottom, I have 0 appetite. I've lost 15 pounds so far since July.

Constant burping, hiccups, etc, can all be signs of reflux issues or just something simple like lactose intolerance. If it’s making you bloated stay away from it!

jdcobra

Established Member

Or get an allergy test as well. Simple saliva test to tell you what you may be allergic to.

jdcobra

Established Member
Had the Stretta procedure done on 8/31/18 and it’s only coming up on 7 weeks.

I can say already that I notice a BIG difference. Forgot to take my PPI’s for two days and only got minor indigestion.

It’s definitely not a quick fix though, slow and steady wins the race as it takes up to 6 months for majority of the muscle growth to occur, with it still growing over the course of a year.

CV355

_
Established Member
Had the Stretta procedure done on 8/31/18 and it’s only coming up on 7 weeks.

I can say already that I notice a BIG difference. Forgot to take my PPI’s for two days and only got minor indigestion.

It’s definitely not a quick fix though, slow and steady wins the race as it takes up to 6 months for majority of the muscle growth to occur, with it still growing over the course of a year.

Keep with it and best of luck!

JimCSHO

Established Member
I use omeprazole successfully to control GERD. Unfortunately due to years of not treating it I have Barrett's Esophagus, a precursor to esophageal cancer. So biannual scoping to keep an eye on it. Last one a couple months ago came back with no advance in the cells, so good so far.

But have to get tested for calcium due to long term use of omeprazole. Reminds me, I need to check with the doctor about when to get that checked again

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jdcobra

Established Member
I use omeprazole successfully to control GERD. Unfortunately due to years of not treating it I have Barrett's Esophagus, a precursor to esophageal cancer. So biannual scoping to keep an eye on it. Last one a couple months ago came back with no advance in the cells, so good so far.

But have to get tested for calcium due to long term use of omeprazole. Reminds me, I need to check with the doctor about when to get that checked again

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The stretta procedure has show regression of Barrett’s in 90% of patients after just 3 years, without the need for ablation.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Couple things...

Eat an Apple everyday with Dinner.

Take Papaya Enzymes. Vitamin you can buy at GNC. Pop them like candy as opposed to any anti acid.

Both of these things have helped me tremendously.

jdcobra

Established Member
Couple things...

Eat an Apple everyday with Dinner.

Take Papaya Enzymes. Vitamin you can buy at GNC. Pop them like candy as opposed to any anti acid.

Both of these things have helped me tremendously.

Have you had a Heidelberg test? It determines if there is too much or too little acid in your stomach. In your case, it sounds like the latter.

Too little stomach acid can cause gerd symptoms as well.

In my case it’s a “plumbing” issue with the valve being weak and relaxing too much.

Glad you’re finding relief though!

Rare40th

Established Member
Glad everything is good! Back in 2010/2011 I went through a pretty rough patch of stress, ended up with an ulcer. I took OTC Omeprazole for what seemed like a couple of months along with strict dieting to reduce sodium intake. And then after that mentally I was just paranoid about any foods I ate. Wasn't until going on a date about a year later I ate food from Olive Garden and since haven't had issues

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
How’d your procedure go?
Everything went good. Doc looked at my esophagus and my stomach. He noted some damage from acid reflux/GERD in the upper portion of my esophagus and also found a small pocket in my esophagus which probably is the source of my occasional issues with swallowing. He found no issues with my stomach so he stated there was no need to put any additional bacteria in my gut. Told me to stay on the pantoprazole and in addition to that he prescribed raNITIdine. I have a follow up in 8 weeks.

U.M.

jdcobra

Established Member
Had my follow up with my surgeon yesterday and it’s been almost ten weeks since the Stretta procedure. The symptoms have improved greatly and I’m not even at the halfway mark. That being said, he’s starting to taper me off the meds and I will revisit him on 3/5/19 to have another manometry and ph test done. If the motility has improved or even resolved itself, the next step is probably the LINX device.

jdcobra

Established Member
Update: 11/15/18
I am now tapered down to 20mg of omeprazole once daily for the next two weeks and will start doing every other day after that. Now mind you, I started at 40mg twice daily with ranitidine at night. I feel as if I’ve never even had GERD and it’s the best feeling ever. Of course, everyone will have different experiences.

In my personal opinion, I think the Stretta was worth it and should be tried before a fundoplication.

Users who are viewing this thread