Installed an Afco GT500 heat exchanger in car

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Do you think the big heat exchanger is going to affect how effective the radiator works and are you using the stock radiator or one of the big mishimoto ones?

No I don't as there's plenty of air space around it. Stock radiator with a Mark VIII fan.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Hey Malcolm, pick up one of these quick and report back results, thanks man :) Your CC won't even notice the hit.

WP725-02-FOR-WEB_zpszgasvbwo.jpg

https://www.meziere.com/Products/Co...SS-INTERCOOLER-PUMP,-REMOTE-BULKHEAD-12V.aspx

A stallion

Established Member
No I'm not buying that Mezier pump. It's a thousand dollars and the flow chart shows it flows less than the Stewart pump at every pressure from free flowing till max pump pressure where you stall it.

I meant any updates on general and final setup ? Like data and stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Decided a little test between the stock pump and replacement Stewart EMP pump was in order to get a feel for flow differences.

3MB5CWPiy8XniJZMyGHiOlxjSWDLbeI82IqmYfw7EfzHGB5lSQAa-9ZSKkG5zKj_1gQPC0AD9aMXMh_QTQw=w800-h600-no.jpg

Unfortunately we couldn't run the EMP pump for more than about a second. It just sucked that 1/2 gallon funnel dry so fast I couldn't pour water in there fast enough to keep up with it. The instructions warm about never running it dry as the seals are dependent on the fluid flowing through to keep them working and in good shape.

I also noticed when you power on the EMP it doesn't just kick on a full power but we could hear it ramping up as the controller spins it up. It sounded like it was accelerating up but unfortunately we had to cut it off so fast.

Even with the tiny run you can there will be significantly more flow.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Be interesting to see what that looks like returning into my trunk intercooler tank. Good test post.

MG0h3

Established Member
reminds me of working on my buddies dairy farm in high school and having cows piss like a damn garden hose.

Could we run into the situation where the fluid is moving through the conduit/sync too quickly and not getting a chance to bleed the heat off?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
reminds me of working on my buddies dairy farm in high school and having cows piss like a damn garden hose.

Could we run into the situation where the fluid is moving through the conduit/sync too quickly and not getting a chance to bleed the heat off?

It is theoretically possible in a lab. With real world bends and restrictions, not really. DOB put out a good article on realistic testing he did with almost all pumps on the market. He never found a combo that didn't improve.

MalcolmV8

Established Member

Your heat exchanger and intercooler cores work on the principle of exchanging heat with flow. The more flow the better. So no that's not going to happen. At least not with any pump we can put in our cars.

That is also exactly why the killer chiller fails at WOT. It doesn't have any decent flow. It chills the fluid causing a seemingly good heat transfer of your intercooler when it's not working very hard like idle and cruising. However go into WOT when you really need the cores to transfer heat and they fail with the killer chiller because they lack flow.

At least that's my theory for now. Logs will put this to rest when I'm done :)

MG0h3

Established Member
So maybe a KC and the system you are setting up would be the best?

Im curious what a mister over the HE would do as well. Its aluminum so it wont rust. Could do it for free using the wiper/washer pump and some water.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
So maybe a KC and the system you are setting up would be the best?

Im curious what a mister over the HE would do as well. Its aluminum so it wont rust. Could do it for free using the wiper/washer pump and some water.

If this works the way I think it will a KC is not needed and a waste of time and complication.

Misting over cores generally gets decent results but it makes a mess too. My windshield washer bottle/motor setup is long gone. My car only sees good weather driving.

MG0h3

Established Member
ya mine too. I agree that would be a mess. Plus my car is about done for the summer here. Cant stand driving it when its warm out.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Your heat exchanger and intercooler cores work on the principle of exchanging heat with flow. The more flow the better. So no that's not going to happen. At least not with any pump we can put in our cars.

That is also exactly why the killer chiller fails at WOT. It doesn't have any decent flow. It chills the fluid causing a seemingly good heat transfer of your intercooler when it's not working very hard like idle and cruising. However go into WOT when you really need the cores to transfer heat and they fail with the killer chiller because they lack flow.

At least that's my theory for now. Logs will put this to rest when I'm done :)

Isnt the KC's main fault that the AC system turns off at WOT? If you do a WOT pull from 1st-4th, thats a good amount of time where it isnt doing anything at all and you're back to relying on the HE, if its still installed.

Users who are viewing this thread