Installed an Afco GT500 heat exchanger in car

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Lingenfelter

20170328_095318_resized_zps6kijtlhv.jpg
Where did you route your lines? I don't want to cut anymore holes in my car.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Started work on the trunk mount. You can see I drilled two holes to add two additional bungs

fm3spiesja-eGrDoGHYYEiYwpJX4_Z26ZAte7-F9RF9vnG4f5ukSPCD9KzlSUL8LwCgBaXJKvZ8CHq0yMCVjDWsuYxU8W0gRD08bfsZfFGIMa8AUYDmYVeRIgKBNedZFDwyhRnZ3oAKTsob3NX0rkXovetIrqkLR54lduVhwe6qye7WhtmvRn92vAI_VK9Wu7eceieZeEN6nj_cSrjQliZObOddexH-AiMy4k5eohWGwk0tCoAjsrlsGlQFYUNge4geABcm-sc2rMNRIG7ZCGjtTyQ_8ZAQym4iaRUjvSy_y9dgdF3wefHfIGazatZEOzA8uVrmgIm0gQk9WcWq3nWM0RlfkSPy1-6ApijJupp1w2eB5eT1PwYNkImRRT8Vd2OeFTakGT2hR-sPWpt1F3iej6IdjYJEaTMRNFiRaLG1yNSzMKiscSbSulv4B8c0GzRq4zHru5IzNhaWtrEI-ahpz-KyESGXlw1Nb2_1I65_HI0Y1IUraNOfQCX_U7pbentF6MnfIIgIK-jyKakRDfmljM1RLWc7_0AdaJVGV0EqlON40gq1p3HoYe8Udtf2SAjynlGjxVZFfFMs54BJZmmgibBLHilxZdnqm3hRORNSS_qNoR1taQJwzVfFEthrTrCBiAYuI0EDe_jgUGtMqcnPC574uJRiy5_Gatz-2VQ=w800-h600-no

The two additional bungs added. Lower one is for a temp sensor and the upper is for a vent tube I plan to run to relieve pressure from the system when it gets hot.

lgJ-xdabWYynHpCSeR5ev9LktvkJ34gD5F7o5-mgJCuAR0JJp-2zvvuIP9bb5G--AfL-4V4N155mTHfqOMHdb0YH25Mfu2UE8uE41igRW_y0ppUEuhbkdNXhNboecjp5qJZmosbD-bfEppVJDw5-fzFXDPOrkBhmYL0DtbkVXMkqKf9ZFPksbv0hNi873df1obO33h2xhzEGT3Emhamx3bDIpV3DhRmhfuxpEgb2MjZtGuE9HEaKlh06856X_tctXhl_cv5pT7aGU_shW3Qq3dyhp_sQl_BlS_OKglH2U6W1VG2AltJvLouL_A-S37VCp1iQBbW0AePoJiMefzmymagszQftQqHC3NrQxcyfRgwutUuEncrzbXlyNoCdxyHeQvuwbkmaCYLUkx1B_6hYakYV1agXUXSkF0CAlAmGqrfG9CNZ6sxkDoJC4pwS01-v3zQqmSnLh2YWU7V5zVgF4Wne7deWyp7ju5H5Gu2gxDQ0CBq0DFvqnWvSlTXecC-s-pm88hECNZTDpqueHLxGwn8A7IFO2qHvpWlZJhmZyhWURCxhY9MT77PJ3KqSFgfzqp_27uTHnpdj7myR47MdMKCBEJ1Yr0KwXEQF2OX4jl-fd3rnZq3n7jjT1ioyy6ru7JGkpfnJ3O-rUl7L7jVGT-p3PJfsU5qWRDqqCr6SBQ=w970-h727-no

Drain ball valve added.

r2FkGw3aTK84soWQHa2hJerLOFv7UFvpJsmDdnlCYvpbW7__lfcsiWicaaZtTruKUFH-FXT13Jnqzu3CKJGAdmFYzcB1LTcDqZyUkjR-OUx-wuP76oidlMmAnnzTLlIHJuT7rr8G_4TnhBJj03URpMzu0RflapNXJy4gqx1vCq8etxIZpL8IO_cCyMIleI3jrKbftOTlMdP4Q8syMdr7107XbLOkcKsgfYtWFg2o7ngv3uUTpf1VWoz3euvva6rfrRry5gtdH8pG75PLqnePC7hRLZGKdMRT46UBWMeCYvuU6e9B7CxAHihhFfJDR4NFF4wzy2WD8YJlzdulmAynhaEg0behhxuu7_NwsGjaVYQ_mATEct0IyCiKHO1Wtu_phMm4KZ83x5eXjVyEUsqr-ke7r7J3HQDzJAaGgHF7Yc5zLnW052oZld2jxzfGMq4P7Nv6mpgbb9raJMMjlYZN0ePFXmyglf8NCt3F929t5E1BkOjvrfDsjwBTD0xTmFKxvKJZgNMtWxbdWvV6_ncrzoF4ajDT1g6qE-SwGWQUo8P2Lny2WUGyBB8b7qIiUOV21M2Z0hZaWnTGgd-PZs5EC_Lin2vMSOHdSu0D7DK1jgvljP6RvVWojtEHf6B_lihk7ttUNMol5Q2zISlPfYP_7sAFrttbSbya7f2m5QFnew=w800-h600-no

Monster inlet / outlets added. Found them in plastic too which I was nice. Save some weight.

e-juIB7WtZL3Z6dQErlD5Aj6REOgKrIUA-k3NlPbolktiJrbEy5k1kgjJUY-FyWlSlPd4-MX-AxQvk9Gp8Ffobuv-CJI5gvoRaHS7aXw15gZ_K5kbgC7Kd8FmbpKlppHsSenRWYnJbXJ5kGPAZqIvXKXTddl3tHbSLvxSld8e8ulFzz3YuDOVg06Mhq8MogNESKrJNV4wfTvXV5VSEribqaC2lNqkFZSuMWDC5OpXH5ODiG10yeK7jNrUYIhiROdkglzV-f5mUVwdaE6riZ9Oc4e4ZeNthjzm2LG_rX_PtW5ROEzcItsytWzFhXnmOckTyH55ZlLN4N3n-yS681K1qoMHOuLia1w06VxEf0nCcquH3vrbKoGVkk6uMN-A3KP9d0yNdyzTOZMGLDrVSrHcpPKLBCTZNlEXEhBRsnrqMxJWBbIcUJu7LjlOzyaDO4h4rdl3_6wxs0BPLn_7zlDKL0zrQk9PUam2DaD9pqGdF56VIdw8u4Uev6nbfiZBx_KuFNxSyJTek3WyGrUXI6YbMn1IUTNZ8jS48C_z1wDw2PMBHoy9alsxagbIKGM4z_OZ-OdSB7gjcViQPF5MaqMd1y8CPuXk_C_2Py3raI11aVoM2_js9AvjNmw2NJEN5vhBmW_EEjOMWl-ShC0JOIFgPbiUe8tm0_-HcKfxpIr0w=w800-h600-no

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Nice work! Will the temp sensor be wired into the new computer system on the car? Definitely looks like a high quality unit.

Yes it sure will. I plan to datalog and track the relationship between fluid temp and IAT2 temp under WOT. May sound silly or obvious but that's the very principle the killer chiller works on and it fails under WOT. My thinking is good flow will carry away heat even with a warmer fluid. To what extent I can't say. Hence the data logs will clear this up.

Which rollover/vent port are you going with? I have an RCI on mine.

--Joe

Joe I was just going to put a barb in with a hose looped up and then to an exit. That way any splashes from cornering, hard braking or acceleration would at most pulse up the hose and drop back in the tank. But mostly I did it in case excess pressure build up started forcing its way past the lid and making a mess in the trunk. I hadn't considered a roll over style vent. I don't plan to roll over but they may offer benefits even if you don't roll over. I'll look into that.

Soap

Established Member
Joe I was just going to put a barb in with a hose looped up and then to an exit. That way any splashes from cornering, hard braking or acceleration would at most pulse up the hose and drop back in the tank. But mostly I did it in case excess pressure build up started forcing its way past the lid and making a mess in the trunk. I hadn't considered a roll over style vent. I don't plan to roll over but they may offer benefits even if you don't roll over. I'll look into that.

I think you will need to run a vent. If you make a loop and fluid splashes up there, it will settle in the bottom of the loop and essentially block any expansion air that is trying to escape. I have been running the same rollover vent for 12 years and never had any splashing, even with 1.3 short times.

Jaz, Vibrant, RCI and even Summit make them.

--Joe

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I think you will need to run a vent. If you make a loop and fluid splashes up there, it will settle in the bottom of the loop and essentially block any expansion air that is trying to escape. I have been running the same rollover vent for 12 years and never had any splashing, even with 1.3 short times.

Jaz, Vibrant, RCI and even Summit make them.

--Joe

I like the idea of a proper roll over vent. However the loop wouldn't get blocked. As pressure builds it'll blow any fluid in the loop out. My old under hood tank built up enough pressure that when it did get past the lid it was like a garden hose with your finger on the end spraying everywhere. That's a lot of pressure. Probably 10 or 15 PSI if I had to guess. That'll more than blow a vent tube clear.

im-1

Established Member
A rule 2000 doesn't flow close to what the Stewart does, especially when using a smaller diameter hose.
Man I just start the car yesterday and have that rule pump in the trunk
it's pump like s....t

I do have 2 separate cooling system one for KB LC through the stock receiver to inter cooler pump to small heat exchanger ( located inside the bumper passenger side) then back to s/c

Another one for the inter cooling system from tank in the trunk to inter cooler chiller through and stock heat exchanger

The stock pump pumping away better than the rule, I don't maybe due to the distance

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ahhh...found the thread....what's the latest with this?

I've had other things come up and haven't touched the cobra for a few months. However I've tuned guys cars that have copied this and have a very similar setup and the results are amazing. Way better than Killer Chiller IAT2 numbers in WOT pulls. It has me really excited to finish my car in the near future and get first hand results and data.

Silverboost

Established Member
I've had other things come up and haven't touched the cobra for a few months. However I've tuned guys cars that have copied this and have a very similar setup and the results are amazing. Way better than Killer Chiller IAT2 numbers in WOT pulls. It has me really excited to finish my car in the near future and get first hand results and data.

NO!!! Time to re-direct that focus back to the Cobra :)

Have you had anyone do it without the fans? I just remember some years back that the cooling results of the fans while the car was moving actually wasn't beneficial.

So if I got this correct to get the most out the blower cooling i need the below:

Afco GT500 Heat Exchanger (and fans?)
Bore the inlet and outlet of the intercooler
Justin Wheelers new inlet set up for the intercooler
3/4 heater hose
upgraded intercooler pump (and maybe a BAP on that?)

MalcolmV8

Established Member
NO!!! Time to re-direct that focus back to the Cobra :)

Have you had anyone do it without the fans? I just remember some years back that the cooling results of the fans while the car was moving actually wasn't beneficial.

So if I got this correct to get the most out the blower cooling i need the below:

Afco GT500 Heat Exchanger (and fans?)
Bore the inlet and outlet of the intercooler
Justin Wheelers new inlet set up for the intercooler
3/4 heater hose
upgraded intercooler pump (and maybe a BAP on that?)

In my general testing over the years you absolutely want fans. More testing will be done on this specific setup later. The AFCO unit I use has dual SPAL fans which move a lot of air and that's exactly what you need.

You need Justin Wheeler's kit that opens up the intercooler and comes with the larger hose inlets and outlets.
You need a trunk mount tank for capacity. Justin can help you there too.
You need a very powerful intercooler pump. Nothing less than a Davies Craig 150. I opted for the strongest I could find, EMP pump. Justin is now a dealer for EMP pumps and can get you a better deal. At the time I got mine through Summit Racing and paid a premium.
I'm not home to measure but yes I believe it's either 3/4" or 1" ID. I can re-check on that.

I'll tell you one fella's car I tuned is in Hawaii dealing with mid to upper 90s for heat and a lot of humidity. Pretty rough conditions. His 2.9 Whipple would start a pull around 116F and temps actually hold and then go down through a pull. By the end of the pull he's at 112F. Absolutely amazing for a 2.9 Whipple in those conditions. I've never seen IAT2 temps drop while beating on the car WOT.

I have logs from guys running killer chillers who start around 120 and are closer to 170F at the top of a run. Of course there are many variables, I have quite a range of KC logs as they're been around longer.
I'm sure over time I'll collect quite a few logs from cars with Justin's setup and get averages there too.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is the trunk mount tank a requirement? Is it because the normal reservoir would get overrun with hot coolant?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread