KingBlack's Coyote Intake Manifold Analysis *SERIOUS DISCUSSION*

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Okay, let's get the obvious stuff out of the way:
This is just a personal review of some publicly available information. Thanks to VMP for their coyote shootout. This wouldn't be possible without them.

I selected 3 manifolds to do This comparison. They include the unported 2018, GT350 and Cobra Jet manifolds. Some of you may ask why I did not select the ported 2018. The answer is quite simple; I wanted the analysis to reflect Manufacturing tolerance. I'm not sure if the 2018 manifold is hand ported or not, but either way I'm sure that there are differences from one retailer to the next if they come off of different CNC machines.

Vmp's comparison is with a generation 2 coyote motor. The motor does have exhaust and runs on pump gas. This being said, you will have some difference in output between all three generations of the coyote motor. This is due to Generation 1 having the smallest cam profile of the group. Generation 2 has the addition of c m c v plates in the intake manifold in addition to a larger camshaft. Generation 3 adds a point of compression and an additional five cubic inches of displacement. While the cam profile between generation two and three are identical, they are different camshafts and do not interchange.

Also make note that the analysis was made from the 5,000 to 7400 RPM range. The reason this range was selected was to display the top end differences of the manifolds. While the Cobra Jet and 350 manifolds could extend the Power Band, since this test was done with stock cams going Beyond this range was fruitless.

Something that became apparent very quickly was that the most horsepower that the stock cams what produce naturally aspirated was right at 460. These are 13 mm camshaft, which is around .512 inch lift. Ironically, this camshaft in the 2nd and 3rd Generation coyote 5.0 shares many similarities with the F 303 Ford Racing cam for Windsor Motors. To put things in perspective, technology has allowed us to take a 307 cubic inch motor and get 20 miles per gallon and 450 + horsepower. Some of us older guys remember those numbers were reserved for race cars or Big Cube street cars that sacrificed drivability and reliability. I remember a friend of mine in the 90's had a 408 stroker that made around these numbers and bragged that he got to keep his air conditioner. We've come a long way!

The 2018 manifold made a peak of 458 horsepower at 7100 RPMs. From 5000 to 7400 RPMs the motor average 424.14 horsepower. After 7100 RPM's, the numbers nosedives from 458 horsepower down to 438 in a matter of 300 RPMs. Ouch.
2018_edit.png

Next up is the GT350 intake manifold. Now there has been a lot of debate as to this manifold. Mainly, is it worth the cost versus the 2018 manifold. If you're strictly looking at Peak numbers, the answer is no. But if you are analyzing the data you get a bit of a different picture. While their Peak number is almost identical, the 350 manifold makes more average horsepower from that 5,000 to 7400 RPM range. It's not much at all coming in at 427.43. While it is just over a 3 horsepower difference, there are few things that stand out.

gt350_edit.png

The first item is the loss of power past 7100 RPM. Both manifolds Peak at 7100 RPMs, which to me is an indicator that the camshafts are the limiting factor not only for more horsepower, but also for more engine range. The GT 350 manifold loses 5 horsepower from its 7100 RPM Peak to 7400 RPM. Basically if you're shifting at 7400 RPMs, the GT350 has a 15 horsepower advantage in that part of the band.

Using a 2015 GT as an example, once you view the data you can see that the GT350 equipped car is ahead of the 2018 manifold car at six of the seven data points. Translation the 2018 car shouldn't never beat the GT350 car. Using a 373 rear end equipped car as an example, gear changes at 7400 RPMs into second gear drops you to 4900 RPM, 3rd gear drops you to 5200; fourth to 5800.

Theoretically, that 2018 should never beat the gt350 in a 1/4 mile drag race.

Now, for the Cobra Jet. Let's go ahead and crown it the champ, because it is. Again, like the gt350, it beats the 2018 at 6 out of 7 data points. I feel this is due to the intake manifold (2018) and (stock) cams were designed for each other, and 5800 rpm point is it's sweet spot.
CobraJet_edit.png

The Cobra Jet (CJ) averages 433.14 hp from 5000 to 7400 rpm. If you focus on the 6200 to 7400 range, the numbers are eye opening:
CJ @6200: +10
CJ @6600: +13
CJ @7000: +02
CJ @7400: +22

The CJ peaks at 6600 rpms, well below the 7750 peak it is designed for. I am of the opinion that this is due to the efficiency of the CJ AND the limitations of the stock cams. A set of cams that would give more intake lift and duration, and the 2018 would be cast aside like a leper.

So, from the look of things, the stock cams are good for 460 whp N/A and the 2018 Manifold limits become apparent at 7000 rpms. A motor with these characteristics (302 cid, 11 to 1 cr, .512 inch lift cams) need to make peak hp at 7700 rpms on pump gas to make 500 whp. A gen 3 motor makes it a bit easier. Either way, the data tells me stock cams and stock intake manifold simply won't do it. Of course, there are variances that I cannot account for, so it "could" be done, but I am confident in saying it is not the norm.

Is the 2018 a good great manifold for the money? Absolutely. But if you are doing a serious N/A build, not just headers, but a real build, with cams, you need to look at the CJ, GT350...even the Boss 302 over the 2018.

I would love to continue doing this if you guys have any interest. there was a lot more data, but this is long enough as it is. Let me know guys!

Kiohtee

Established Member
Great information and great post, so thanks for that, but I feel like spending anymore time on debating intake manifolds is pointless. Everybody with a sliver of knowledge and no bias already knows the IM lineup, with the CJ being king, and that ultimately it comes down to how much budget one has.

What I will say, for whatever reason, is your findings of a 2018 being ranked last does not line up with 99% of other 'studies/publications' or popular/firsthand opinion/knowledge. The 2018 is generally regarded as second best, sans a couple combinations where a Boss/GT350 may outshine it, so I find this a little odd.

KingBlack

Established Member
What I will say, for whatever reason, is your findings of a 2018 being ranked last does not line up with 99% of other 'studies/publications' or popular/firsthand opinion/knowledge. The 2018 is generally regarded as second best, sans a couple combinations where a Boss/GT350 may outshine it, so I find this a little odd.

thanks. again, this analysis is just my opinion. while it does focus on the intake manifold, the goal wasn't to rank them, but to get a better understanding of why it does so well. Ranking them based on peak values is a valid system, but i wanted to know more than just 4xx hp @ xxxx rpm. Some people only care how much power is made; I care about where it is made.

Average power is something I don't see a big focus on in many videos. Peak is great, but looking at the values over a range means more. Let's use this to discuss the merits of each item, as they all serve a purpose for different people. The only real knock I have on the 2018 IM is the what happens after 7000 rpms.

If I'm using the data to rank them based on Average hp from 5000 to 7400 rpms, then the 2018 numerically, has to be last. Then again, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody. And to your point, if the VMP group is being ranked strictly on peak numbers, the ported 2018 is king of the hill. Even over the Cobra Jet. That alone is why I took a closer look at the data.

I'll repeat what I, and many others have said: the 2018 is a great value. Hands down. But I will take things a step further and say that it is not the way to go if you plan on adding cams. But, that shouldn't surprise anyone.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
So is this just you googling information... and putting said googled information together, and just having an opinion that 99% of people dont have

Four Door SVT

Established Member
I’ve always been a interested in where the power band is. We have won many road course races basing our gearing off of the power curve. Just because an engine can rev higher doesn’t mean it’s usable power. Many times our cars would pull all the way to the braking point while others were on the down side of their peak hp and our driver would drive right by. Our engines would pass tech and we would get the recognition of having a top notch engine but really we didn’t have what others had, but what we did have is great data analysis and a very consistent driver.

One season our team won the first four races of the season, we passed tech each time and everyone was still complaining. The fifth race two competitors affiliated with the track were fast and it was a three car race to the finish, we got third. After crossing the scales first and second place were released without any tech inspection and our car was disassembled engine included. It all passed. My wife and others were exploding with disgust, I knew that the officials had to see what it took to beat our team and they had to cheat to do it. From that day on the amount of respect our driver especially and crew was extraordinary. This was a turning point for us, many competitors wanted to pit with us/ join our team, paid for driver training, bought engines, chassis carburetors entire set ups. The thing they didn’t get was the gearing philosophy, even when I suggested a taller gear they didn’t think that was it. I had a newby ask at open practice once what gear we ran and I told him the truth, he called me a Liar and walked off. We had won seven championships, two sportsman of the year awards, several track records all with in house engines. We dabbled in a spec engine class, put the engine on the dyno for its power band and won that championship as well.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
from what I understand the problem hasn't been getting air into the coyote motor, its been getting it out i.e. exhaust side. The coyote would benefit from more lift, duration on the exhaust side of the cam profile, maybe a little port work on the exhaust ports.

KingBlack

Established Member
I’ve always been a interested in where the power band is. We have won many road course races basing our gearing off of the power curve. Just because an engine can rev higher doesn’t mean it’s usable power. Many times our cars would pull all the way to the braking point while others were on the down side of their peak hp and our driver would drive right by. Our engines would pass tech and we would get the recognition of having a top notch engine but really we didn’t have what others had, but what we did have is great data analysis and a very consistent driver.

One season our team won the first four races of the season, we passed tech each time and everyone was still complaining. The fifth race two competitors affiliated with the track were fast and it was a three car race to the finish, we got third. After crossing the scales first and second place were released without any tech inspection and our car was disassembled engine included. It all passed. My wife and others were exploding with disgust, I knew that the officials had to see what it took to beat our team and they had to cheat to do it. From that day on the amount of respect our driver especially and crew was extraordinary. This was a turning point for us, many competitors wanted to pit with us/ join our team, paid for driver training, bought engines, chassis carburetors entire set ups. The thing they didn’t get was the gearing philosophy, even when I suggested a taller gear they didn’t think that was it. I had a newby ask at open practice once what gear we ran and I told him the truth, he called me a Liar and walked off. We had won seven championships, two sportsman of the year awards, several track records all with in house engines. We dabbled in a spec engine class, put the engine on the dyno for its power band and won that championship as well.
Excellent write up. A set of custom gear ratio would transform things for sure.

As i mentioned earlier, i am more interested in where the power is made and the average over a particular range. The fall off in the power in the 2018 manifold after 7100 RPM would mandate an earlier shift then required in the GT350 or the Cobra Jet. In each case, the upshift will drop the motor right at its peak torque RPM. We all know that this is the point that the vehicle will accelerate fastest in that gear. the 2018 manifold has a lower Peak torque RPM which falls in line with its nosedive of power after 7000 RPMs. The thing to notice is the peak torque numbers between the manifolds are so close that if not worth debating. What it really comes down to is the two manifolds with the higher Peak torque numbers also have higher average horsepower values in the range being discussed. All things being equal, the engines with these higher average values and extended ranges should equate to a faster car.

Zemedici

Established Member
Keep in mind that yes these manifolds make more power than stock, but as you said @KingBlack, it’s where it’s made.

If the car is a daily, do you really want a manifold that loses power in lower (more used) RPMs, with gains only shown at 7000+ RPM? I don’t remember the last time i was that high of RPM in my daily, unless I’m on the sportbike :D

KingBlack

Established Member
Keep in mind that yes these manifolds make more power than stock, but as you said @KingBlack, it’s where it’s made.

If the car is a daily, do you really want a manifold that loses power in lower (more used) RPMs, with gains only shown at 7000+ RPM? I don’t remember the last time i was that high of RPM in my daily, unless I’m on the sportbike :D

Agreed. the fox that my coyote is going in is not my daily. Hence, what works perfectly for the guy modding his daily isn't perfect for me. Personally, I could lose 40 lb-ft of torque in the Notch on the lower end and it wouldn't matter. and you may want to revisit the data, the gains start at 5000 rpms, and with one exception, the GT350 and CJ makes more hp from there up to 7400 rpms while the 2018 falls off a cliff past 7000. For my build, the goal is to move the powerband up as much and as safely as possible.

Don't confuse the analysis as a snapshot of how a car will perform on the streets. Gearing, weight, weather - a number of variables - will help determine the outcome. It is simply a high level report to help in the decision making process. Knowing that pump gas, stock cammed motors, regardless of the intake manifold, is limited to 460 rwhp +-, it helps with the decision of either A) determine if you want to add cams to reach the goal of 500 rwhp on pump gas B) go forced induction, far exceeding your goal of 500 rwhp or C) be happy with 460 rwhp on a stock motor.

I'll reiterate, if ranking the manifolds from 5000 to 7400 rpms using average hp, the 2018 makes the least.

KingBlack

Established Member
If the car is a daily, do you really want a manifold that loses power in lower (more used) RPMs, with gains only shown at 7000+ RPM?

Did you review the data?
If you did, you would see that the GT350 makes the SAME average torque from 2500 to 4500 rpms. this is the 2018's domain. At 5000 rpms, it's the GT350's playground
350vs2018torque.png

So to answer your question, no you don't have to lose low end torque and yes you can have high end power gains. You just have to select the right parts. the CJ's 2500 to 4500 rpms torque numbers are similar to the GT350.

KingBlack

Established Member
Looking over the data again, something I noticed is none of the tuners want to tune a GT350 manifold with the GT350 throttle body. no doubts in my mind that this hamstrings its performance.

Anyone knows why a majority of the tuners shy away from the 350 TB?

Users who are viewing this thread