Knocking sond.

Trond.E.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Hello fellow Lightning owner from Norway, welcome aboard,

I am not the expert, but it sounds like a rod bearing or a wrist pin, neither of which is good news. Unless you can find any other reason for the knock, the engine will need rebuilding. Sorry to give you bad news.

Some might suggest a cracked flywheel, or a bad torque converter, but I am staying with my original guess.

Trond.E.

Hello fellow Lightning owner from Norway, welcome aboard,

I am not the expert, but it sounds like a rod bearing or a wrist pin, neither of which is good news. Unless you can find any other reason for the knock, the engine will need rebuilding. Sorry to give you bad news.

Some might suggest a cracked flywheel, or a bad torque converter, but I am staying with my original guess.
Hi FireGuy, thank you for your welcome. Thank you for your quick reply.
I suspect rod bearing. A rebuilding will be in winter. Then the next question: Are there any better parts than originally used? I often deal in the United States so getting it sent to Norway is no problem.
Hope to find parts that can handle more HP and boost

Sent from My Huawei 9 Pro via Tapatalk

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
IIRC a former member, and friend, did too long of a burnout in his lightning and ended up with internal damage.

There were/are a lot of builders over here that have a good reputation. JDM, JLP are two of the bigger ones on the East Coast.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Symptoms definitely point to a bad rod bearing. You're hearing it at start-up when oil pressure is low, and as it increases the knock disappears. But it will just get worse, which you probably already know. Sorry this happened to your Lightning.

Oh, and welcome to SVTPerformance! :)

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
As blk04l states JLP does good work am assuming he's talking about Johnny Lightning performance but i HAVE heard some bad and good stories tho

Sent from my SM-N900V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yea.
I've heard the same too. Best bet for OP would be to call the shops and see which one makes him feel the most comfortable in spending his $.
Almost went with JLP myself for my new shortblock years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread