Kohr Motorsports gets it done at the IMSA races in Sebring

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Dean Martin from Kohr Motorsports has done a great job of putting a highly qualified team together to run two Mustang GT4 cars in the IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge. The most recent race took place this past Friday in Sebring, Florida. My good friend George from MGW is sponsoring one of the cars this year and he and I have attended the first two races now (first race was at Daytona). I've been in the pits with some of Dean's efforts in the past but the most recent always seem to be the best. Especially when all the hard work is rewarded with victory.

Friday, March 16th, was a beautiful day. Here is some of what I caught with my Canon 6D while at Sebring.

The Kadima Ventures car's Holinger sequential transmission was shifting a little slower than it is supposed to so it was replaced just prior to the race.

i-KLPq52g-X2.jpg

i-QXBbKjt-X3.jpg

The sister car to the above is the one sponsored by George's new company, Scudo. I may be jaded but it is easily the sharpest in the series class. The Race Red you see is indeed paint and not a wrap.

i-z5hK896-X3.jpg

i-DJR6GFg-X3.jpg

i-MNCJtJR-X3.jpg

Numerous changes had been done to the cars after qualifying in search of lower lap times. All buttoned up, I got ahead of them in an attempt to capture the GS class as they made their way towards the track.

Spencer Pumpelli has been a beast in his Porsche so far in the series.

i-gvP5XZn-X4.jpg

And some of those that tried to slay Pumpelli...

i-94Q37CT-X4.jpg

i-d5p8vNM-X3.jpg

i-SzQKC62-X3.jpg

i-LhKmvkq-X3.jpg

i-kpJ3JVd-X3.jpg

i-ppKCdLf-X3.jpg

i-vJfT5t7-X4.jpg

i-W722jVC-X3.jpg

The cars are stopped and parked a couple of times along the way to (in essence) allow the media and public to get a closer look at them.

Bellissimo.

i-HjrMQNd-X4.jpg

i-KS4Xsds-X3.jpg

i-Lsgq5Bt-X4.jpg

i-2dFw9NL-X3.jpg

i-MCJ9QJc-X3.jpg

i-47npGxS-X3.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
i-d66dvPs-X3.jpg

That's Nate Stacy in front of the car. Nate was to run the first half of the race with Kyle Marcelli finishing. A great kid that can really drive.

i-cNbF3h9-X3.jpg

i-KR7x527-X3.jpg

i-cpnDsvt-X3.jpg

i-Smp9rPL-X3.jpg

Many will probably not see the neon Volt car right before their eyes :). A worthy competitor as are pretty much all the GT4 Mustangs in the GS class.

i-sQjJg75-X3.jpg

Anyway, the race was a great one. If you aren't into spoilers then look away now.

Pumpelli ran the first half of the race in first place. The car ran flawlessly and he drove the wheels off it, putting it well ahead of the pack that followed. Nate moved the Scudo car up a few places and I think he handed it off to Marcelli in ~7th. The pit stop was flawless. Not long after the tire/fuel stop (and driver change) there was a caution. Marcelli got bumped to first. He stayed ahead of everyone for the remaining 40+ minutes of the race. Kyle is an absolute monster on the track and showed it on this day. The drivers, the crew that worked their ass off all week getting everything ready, Dean's efforts in organizing everything and then orchestrating some killer strategy, Ford, and the sponsors should all be congratulated. They absolutely crushed this one.

i-8dwxDcT-X3.jpg

i-nZn4m6H-X3.jpg

i-JtHNJvC-X3.jpg

Attachments

• i-KS4Xsds-X3.jpg
    i-KS4Xsds-X3.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 92
  • i-Lsgq5Bt-X4.jpg
    i-Lsgq5Bt-X4.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 111
  • i-2dFw9NL-X3.jpg
    i-2dFw9NL-X3.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 91
  • i-MCJ9QJc-X3.jpg
    i-MCJ9QJc-X3.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 76
  • i-47npGxS-X3.jpg
    i-47npGxS-X3.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 102
  • i-d66dvPs-X3.jpg
    i-d66dvPs-X3.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 132
  • i-cNbF3h9-X3.jpg
    i-cNbF3h9-X3.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 111
  • i-KR7x527-X3.jpg
    i-KR7x527-X3.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 85
  • i-cpnDsvt-X3.jpg
    i-cpnDsvt-X3.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 102
  • i-Smp9rPL-X3.jpg
    i-Smp9rPL-X3.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 91
  • i-sQjJg75-X3.jpg
    i-sQjJg75-X3.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 91
  • i-8dwxDcT-X3.jpg
    i-8dwxDcT-X3.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 117
  • i-nZn4m6H-X3.jpg
    i-nZn4m6H-X3.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 103
  • i-JtHNJvC-X3.jpg
    i-JtHNJvC-X3.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 88
  • i-HjrMQNd-X4.jpg
    i-HjrMQNd-X4.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 99
  • i-KS4Xsds-X3.jpg
    i-KS4Xsds-X3.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 101
  • i-Lsgq5Bt-X4.jpg
    i-Lsgq5Bt-X4.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 90
  • i-2dFw9NL-X3.jpg
    i-2dFw9NL-X3.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 91
  • i-MCJ9QJc-X3.jpg
    i-MCJ9QJc-X3.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 83
  • i-47npGxS-X3.jpg
    i-47npGxS-X3.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
A really great team effort.

i-4Db4BTP-X3.jpg

i-crf7wJW-X3.jpg

i-MnHd4SJ-X3.jpg

i-TkwwK7W-X2.jpg

i-bk5cD9B-X3.jpg

i-m7DPKCX-X2.jpg

i-vczXXQ4-X2.jpg

i-TtMZt2P-X4.jpg

A great experience all in all. I'm really happy for George as he's been working hard to develop the Scudo brand and he couldn't have picked a more professional organization to align himself with in this regard. Can't wait for the next race!

i-kk3bJm3-X3.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The end was a nail chomper and I think it fair to say that everyone was beyond elated at the finish. George didn't deviate. Here he is with Jesse as the car made a stop before the public presentation on the track.

i-cZgnd4g-X3.jpg

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Although this is absolutely my favorite type of racing, I was so annoyed at the coverage of IMSA this weekend.

Not sure if it was a one time thing, but PWC had their last race streaming on YouTube. Made is super easy to watch on both the TV and my phone when I had to leave.

I get that there's contracts involved, but it's a shame it easier for me to watch European races than it is IMSA.

Anyway, congrats to Kohr. They do good work - built my buddy's American Iron car (which is actually in the "for sale" section on Kohr's website for anyone that's interested)

Coiled03

Established Member
So pissed I missed this on TV. Looks like it was a great race.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yeah I didn't even see it on.

Tob, keep going to all of these races so you can give us a run down afterwards.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Weathertech Sportscar Championship consists of Prototype, GT Le Mans, and GT Daytona cars. Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge series consists of Gran Sport, Touring Car, and Street Tuner cars. The Kohr GT4 cars are competing in the Continental series in the Gran Sport (GS class). Dean also runs a car in Pirelli World Challenge as well.

Some more random shots...

i-bcTthmD-X2.jpg

i-XKBfGZV-X3.jpg

i-vQ6SwZr-X3.jpg

i-vXNjdQH-X3.jpg

i-nct6zH7-X4.jpg

i-h9cZ75H-X3.jpg

i-SHRmVSP-X3.jpg

i-DjBnPVQ-X2.jpg

i-3GkWXNN-X3.jpg

i-CJwH59g-X3.jpg

i-8msKR2k-X3.jpg

i-FKJpHvH-X3.jpg

I learned about a bit of controversy during tech. On the GT4 cars, Multimatic trims away the "mesh" screen at two areas of the lower portion of the bumper cover when assembling the cars. The rear belly pan is a non-stock all carbon fiber piece that kicks up to manage airflow which is then directed out via the trimmed areas. IMSA race inspection includes verifying the opening size at this location and I understand that their template didn't match the trimmed out area. Problem for IMSA was that the other cars (which are all made by Multimatic to meet the sanctioning body spec) were the same and as such there was no gain here.

i-wBjv6z6-X4.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Something else. I was standing next to George and the car after the victory celebration and George pointed something out that I had yet to see. Somebody in stealth mode from the Volt team (I assume) slapped a sticker onto the rear bumper cover. Hilarious.

i-KJJTV9t-X3.jpg

i-MMNxSK3-X3.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I was trying to get some shots of the front of the Scudo car when the Kadima car was fired up right next to me. A gentleman from Ford was looking at data as the car was run through the gears. I think they were verifying how well the replacement transmission was shifting. Anyway, things got loud as the car ran pretty high up on the rpm scale. I caught the end of it...

Rich (the gentleman behind the wheel in the above clip) spent some time with me in the pits showing me how he manages quite a bit of data as the race is run. He showed me on his open laptop how they calculate fuel consumption under varying conditions which correlates to when the car needs to come in for more fuel. IIRC, it was estimated that the car burned .88 gallons per lap under normal race conditions. That number varies with caution flags, etc, and he had spreadsheets and formulas to adjust accordingly. Really cool and interesting stuff.

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member
Watched the RACE LIVE on the IMSA Website.
What a race and a fantastic win for Kohr and Roush!

Great pics Tob!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Nice pictures and good looking race cars.

I heard the Mustang GT4 doesn't use a FPC. Is that the case? If true, I wonder why?

Users who are viewing this thread