Kooks cat back developed drone after Whipple install

fishpick

Established Member
Last year I bought a Kooks Cat back exhaust because I really liked the sound on my 2012. (This one : https://www.kooksheaders.com/exhaust-system-kit-8243.html )

Now the car has a Whipple on it and the setup has developed a bit of drone at 1800-ish. Basically 6th on the highway at 65... classic "drone-zone".

I knew adding the blower might change acoustics...

Anyone have any thoughts here? I'm guessing something as simple as "buy a set of GT500's used for $200) isn't gonna work with the 3" pipe to the axle... is there a market for JUST the 3" axle backs - or am I looking at changing the whole thing out?

Tires / wheels and exhaust - 2 things I am unschooled in. I know what I like and always ask smarter people to help me make it happen!

SVTStampede

Established Member
The Kooks over axle should mate to the GT500s fine since they are the same connection type and location, it just depends on the size of the "ball" connector, and I want to say I saw that the Kooks axle backs are 2.75 inch at the connector just like the GT500s.

You can verify by seeing if one of your stockers connects to the over axle fine.

For what it's worth, I have a Borla X pipe, Borla over axles, and GT500 axle backs on a supercharged engine with no drone.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Ya think pulling the factory H and sticking in an X might help?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

That will just raise the pitch. It'll most likely still drone.

Try putting some resonators in. Won't eliminate the drone but will lower the volume/intensity.

Here's what I did for the same reason.

a36aefa0011dea01106a95059b9ad919.jpg

fishpick

Established Member
That will just raise the pitch. It'll most likely still drone.

Try putting some resonators in. Won't eliminate the drone but will lower the volume/intensity.

Here's what I did for the same reason.

a36aefa0011dea01106a95059b9ad919.jpg

Interesting... where does one obtain said resonators? And is there a brand preferred over another?

SVTStampede

Established Member
As he said, I doubt it would eliminate your drone. More just pointing out I ditched my stock resonators(on the over axles), and I don't have drone using GT500s since you were thinking about them.

But yeah, exhaust systems are definitely...luck/art as much as science..lol.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Check out Corsa, I am running quad tip sports with headers and a full offroad exhaust and they hardly drone at all, also with a blower but procharger not a PD like whipple.

fishpick

Established Member
Check out Corsa, I am running quad tip sports with headers and a full offroad exhaust and they hardly drone at all, also with a blower but procharger not a PD like whipple.

Aren't Corsa's known for "loud"?

I'm a weirdo - I wasn't looking for just "loud" but wanted more "music" than the stockers.

See - I love the factory tuned exhaust package on the 2016 Camaro SS and on my cousins Saleen package on his Mustang. They sound melodic - maybe a little louder than a stock setup but certainly deeper and "musical".

Just doesn't seem like after market mufflers do those kinds of things. The choices seem more like loud, louder, really really loud.

Ohh - and no more drone!

I may just eventually put the Kooks on Craig's list and go back to stock and see what the blower sounds like through that.

What I think would be perfect is the Borla Touring - except they only come axle back for my year - so - I dunno.

For now - I'm all wrenched out and will live with what I have!

SVTStampede

Established Member
Borla also sells their X pipe and over axles separate, so if you want the touring you can still do it. That's how I built my exhaust, with the exception that I'm using GT500s of course.

I was in a similar situation. I don't think something that sounds "loud" is the same thing as "good"

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Any axleback with factory connections should bolt up to the kooks over axle pipes as they use the factory ball and socket connection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

fishpick

Established Member
That's good to know, since the Kooks pipes are 3", thought they might use a different connector.
At some point I'll dig out my factory ones when the car is up and measure things :)

Anyone know if the Borla Touring axle backs really only fit a 13-14??? Seems "weird" to me that would be the case - where so many other brands list 11-14...

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hand-filer

Established Member
For what it's worth, I have a Borla X pipe, Borla over axles, and GT500 axle backs on a supercharged engine with no drone.

Nice to hear your setup has no drone. My exhaust is stock other than GT500 mufflers but I've been contemplating the Borla X and over the axle pipes for some time now. How is it for raspiness? I was leaning towards an H pipe but still on the fence.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
hand-filer,

I had Borla S-types on my stock exhaust system and there was no rasp. Call me a wuss but they were a smidge loud for my liking. Great tone, smooth, no rasp, very distinct sound is how I describe the S-types. I got Ford Racing GT500 Touring mufflers (not the usual GT500's) because I figured they would be Borla Touring mufflers but for less money. I love 'em! I have added the MRT after-cat H-pipe and the tone is deeper now, no drone (phew).

I would look for vids of Borla OTA pipes and S-types (or, a full Borla cat-back), run it through good speakers, and decide if it's what you're looking for. I understand that X-pipe will increase rasp but I have no personal experience. My '98GT (2V) had a catted X-pipe and a MagnaFlow catback and it wasn't raspy. It had a bit of drone at 1800 rpm but nothing I couldn't live with, lol.

HTH,

Chris

p.s.--sorry, OP, for the side-track post in your thread. Just trying to help a fellow SVT-er out.

Users who are viewing this thread