Liberty 26 Spline Input Shaft Installation,,,Pix!!

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Looks like way too much side play. I'm not sure what would cause that but I'd guess the bearing on the other side is shot.

Davey07

Established Member
ya thats what i'm thinking and wondering is this bearing replaceable? or do i need to buy a whole new shaft. The shimming only corrects in and out play right.? I thinking this is out of spec also cuz if it was under i wouldnt be able to see/ feel it move right?

Mustang Matt

Established Member
It is replaceable. Auto part stores never know how to find it because it's normally a differential bearing. Here's the Timken part number: M88048. You may also need this shim kit (or equivalent): Liberty Gear 26-Spline Input Shaft Shim Kit [LG-SK] - $29.95 : Performance Parts - Ford Mustang - Cobra - Dodge Viper - Chevy Corvette - C6 - LS1

Then the only remaining challenge if finding someone who can press it off and the new one on without damaging it.

Inspect the counter shaft gear when you pull it apart to make sure it doesn't have any odd wear. If it does I think the counter shaft is like $350ish and kind of hard to find too.

Last edited:

Davey07

Established Member
It is replaceable. Auto part stores never know how to find it because it's normally a differential bearing. Here's the Timken part number: M88048. You may also need this shim kit (or equivalent): Liberty Gear 26-Spline Input Shaft Shim Kit [LG-SK] - $29.95 : Performance Parts - Ford Mustang - Cobra - Dodge Viper - Chevy Corvette - C6 - LS1

Then the only remaining challenge if finding someone who can press it off and the new one on without damaging it.

Inspect the counter shaft gear when you pull it apart to make sure it doesn't have any odd wear. If it does I think the counter shaft is like $350ish and kind of hard to find too.

fml...i know i can press it off, matter of pressing it back on the right amount.. imagine it would be no different then a solid axle bearing? unless the bearing bottoms out on a lip or something

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I found a shop that did it for me so I'm not too sure about the complications but I do know they had to use the old bearing to press the new one on for some reason.

Davey07

Established Member
were u having any issues? or just new there was way to much freeplay I also thought maybe its bent a little.. so i'll probly just buy a new one..

Davey07

Established Member
ic ,, i'm looknig at it thinking maybe bearing and all is fine just needs to be shimmed , cuz maybe person who installed shaft didnt shim it. thoughts?

Mustang Matt

Established Member
That seems like a reasonable conclusion. If it had enough play front to back due to lacking the right shim it could also have left to right play.

navyfc117

FNG
Established Member
I am in the middle of doing this. When you put the shim in before the cone shaped thing. My cone shaped thing doesn't even touch. SO I do not see a purpose for the shim.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Bringing this to life to add some information for people who might have the same issue. I'm installing a liberty shaft on my buddy's 03, and the biggest shim in his kit is .043 however with that shim, the shaft still has too much freeplay. I dug up my shim kit from when I installed mine a year ago and the smallest was .030 and the largest was also .043 so I put both .030's together from each kit (.060) and the shaft is too tight so it does not spin freely...there is resistance on the shaft with those 2 shims in there. Any thoughts on this? The factory shim that came out was .038

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
I just replaced my factory 10 spline with a tremec 26 spline and had to use a few shims... Didn't know if anyone else had to use multiple shims with the Tremec spline.

Last edited:

krazyazian

Established Member
I've heard that if you go with the D&D input shaft you dont have to shim it? Is there any truth to this?

D&D claims you don't have to but, as some others have said in here, check it anyways.

I did mine 2 weeks ago and I would like to say to those that are afraid, don't be, it was easy to swap out.

Users who are viewing this thread