Liberty 26 Spline Input Shaft Installation,,,Pix!!

drptitan

Established Member
Great write up and I have the same setup minus the DFX, got the spec 3. I dont really like the clutch but it was in the car when I bought it. I had the DFX in my Mach and by far my favorite clutch.

eleanordream

Established Member
glad to see this post i dropped tyhe clutch at 5k on 10.5 slicks last night and broke my 26spline shaft gonna replace myself. great right up.. life saver.,

03_DSG_SNAKE

Established Member
Yes you will need to reshim it. I didn't think i would have to do mine, but it was very tight after the new sleeve went in. A piece of dirt could make a difference.

No you don't need to reshim for the TOB sleeve. I just got done doing mine and I realized that the shim doesnt rest against the sleeve, it rests on its own machined lip of the cover. The shim is a larger diameter than the big (pressed) end of the sleeve as is the bearing race which is what you are shimming. Therefore it is kind of silly to reshim for just a TOB sleeve swap.:thumbsup:

jiggen01

Established Member
when checking the end play i put the front cover on and then the dial indicator and try to move the inputshaft back and forth?

svtnotch

Established Member
OK i have some questions. im in the middle of doing mine and my 10 spline snapped so i had no reference to how much play was there prior to me taken it apart. i took the race out and had a .034 shim there so i put it back together with the new shaft and had a TON of play side to side and in and out. so i started adding shims and i have in there now that comes out to .094 and now theres a TINY bit of play side to side and .003 when im pulling out on it. my questions are....
1. is it me or does this seem like a whole lot of shim to get it right i mean .094 seem to be alot to me after reading about some installs.

2. is there going to be play side to side?

just nervous on if this is correct don't want to finish it up just to pull it again.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
OK i have some questions. im in the middle of doing mine and my 10 spline snapped so i had no reference to how much play was there prior to me taken it apart. i took the race out and had a .034 shim there so i put it back together with the new shaft and had a TON of play side to side and in and out. so i started adding shims and i have in there now that comes out to .094 and now theres a TINY bit of play side to side and .003 when im pulling out on it. my questions are....
1. is it me or does this seem like a whole lot of shim to get it right i mean .094 seem to be alot to me after reading about some installs.

2. is there going to be play side to side?

just nervous on if this is correct don't want to finish it up just to pull it again.
1. it shouldn't need that many shims.

2, it set at .0005 end play at that you should have no side to side play,its going to be so tight .0005 is tight

am doing mine this week,,i do need to get a dail indecator. i also got to degree my cams in too ..habor frieght here i come

let you know how it turns out , doing it moday or tuesday.

svtnotch

Established Member
1. it shouldn't need that many shims.

2, it set at .0005 end play at that you should have no side to side play,its going to be so tight .0005 is tight

am doing mine this week,,i do need to get a dail indecator. i also got to degree my cams in too ..habor frieght here i come

let you know how it turns out , doing it moday or tuesday.

so i found the problem the tremec shaft does not come with the race installed in the back of the shaft......:fm: so after the 3$ race put it in with factory .034 shim and what do ya know perfect :lol: good to go

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
so i am replacing the clutch this weekend. it already has a 26 spline. but i am replacing the tob sleeve. do i have to take the front of the tranny of for this? if so do i need tranny fluid and what else? thanks so much!

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Yes, drain it completely. Pull the front cover out. Tap it out with a rubber mallet and tap it in with a large socket and a rubber mallet. Make sure you tap it in evenly.

Users who are viewing this thread