Liberty 26 Spline Input Shaft Installation,,,Pix!!

WDW MKR

Established Member
I found that no one offered a dial indicator w/ magnetic base for rental. Hell, half of the counter-jockeys didn't even know what I dial indicator was. I had two different shops try to sell me a multimeter.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member

gud2goe

Established Member
EVIL1 said:
Installed the Liberty input shaft today,,super easy install so I took some pix for everyone.Enjoy :thumbsup:

First I removed the front part of the tranny case.At this point you take the stock unit out and replace it with the 26 spline.
3156.jpg

This is the stock unit compared to the 26 spline.
3159.jpg

This is the bearing cup and the factory .032 shim removed from the front cover.
3161.jpg

To remove the stock TOB Sleeve I just used a BFH.
3162.jpg

A few smacks and out it came.
3163.jpg

Stock sleeve next to the much stronger unit.
3164.jpg

Used a big socket and my BFH to put the new sleeve in.
3166.jpg

Put everything together with the factory .032 shim,,,this gave me about .0025 end play.This is too much so out came everything again.
3167.jpg

I replaced the factory .032 shim with a .034 shim.
3172.jpg

This put me right at about .0005,,,good enough.
3176.jpg

Everything is ready to put back in the cobra,,,then I get to install my Long tubes :pepper:

in the third pic i see the bearing race....is that supposed to spin...i see some wear marks on the inner side of the adapter ...or is it supposed to be a nominal fit

and yea my sleeve was afu ..two peices...woulda thought it woulda made more noise..

Last edited:

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
in the last pic...what is the correct name of that tool and where can i get one? Mine is too tight and i want to get it done right.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I pulled my trans out to replace a throwout bearing and i have a vibration in the driveline. I decided to shim it tighter to eliminate the input shaft as being a vibration problem. A lot of work to do that...drive it and pull it out again but it's a process of elimination. I think my harmonic balancer is shot. When we put my lower back on two of those studs with nuts welded on that act as spacers weren't on right and the bracket ground down the edges of the balancer. Those things are measured in ounces and i think the balance weight is off. Trans mission turned out to be perfect. ONly has 12 k miles on it and is barely raced.

stradt03

Established Member
If I am just replacing the TOB sleeve will I need to reshim the thing? It's hard to determine based on the pictures.

Last edited:

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Yes you will need to reshim it. I didn't think i would have to do mine, but it was very tight after the new sleeve went in. A piece of dirt could make a difference.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
it's just like a rear end. If you have it put together too tight it's going to sound like you're being chased by a fire truck. If you don't believe me go ahead and get it good and tight but make sure it still spins freely. As soon as your fluid gets warm and thins out...bring on the noise. I know because my old trans whined when i put it in too tight. I thought i could do it by "feel" and get it close enough. Didn't work had to go buy a magnetic dial indicator and do it right.

thelpb

Established Member
This is probably a dumb question, but I just want to cover my bases.

Is there any prep for the new input shaft prior to installation and tranny re-assembly? IE lube for the bearing?

WDW MKR

Established Member
I understand that, but it doesn't explain how you arrived at the conclusion things were too tight. Measuring endplay with a dial indicator mounted on the front plate isn't going to show preload is it?

it's just like a rear end. If you have it put together too tight it's going to sound like you're being chased by a fire truck. If you don't believe me go ahead and get it good and tight but make sure it still spins freely. As soon as your fluid gets warm and thins out...bring on the noise. I know because my old trans whined when i put it in too tight. I thought i could do it by "feel" and get it close enough. Didn't work had to go buy a magnetic dial indicator and do it right.

thelpb

Established Member
This is probably a dumb question, but I just want to cover my bases.

Is there any prep for the new input shaft prior to installation and tranny re-assembly? IE lube for the bearing?

Anyone? Please? Doing the input shaft and clutch this sunday.

MY DREAM

Established Member
All you need is replacement tranny fluid, a shim kit, dial indicator guage to properly measure the appropriate shim needed, and I used a little bit of grey RTV silocone to seal the front cover of the tranny back on since thier is no gasket. Make sure that if you are replacing the TOB retainer that you don't forget to put the new O ring on the new retainer.

James

thelpb

Established Member
I would love to swap the sleeve, but sadly the funds have run out so I have to make do with the factory one :( Everything else is getting swapped though, from the pilot bearing to the fork.

Mental note: RTV.

Thanks!

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
That sleeve isnt going to last. I broke mine in half on my stock clutch in my last cobra. Put $120 on your cc and replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread