Looking to get back into the game, but a few questions.

mammothcar1

Established Member
I'm looking to get back into a weekend car again.
I had a 2012 Boss and 03 Cobra that I sold due to a move to Virginia, but i am really missing the raw visceral feel of the V8.

I presently have a 2016 Golf R which I will keep so this Mustang will be to feed my fix.

So here are my questions:

Coming from a 2012 Boss, is anyone able to offer comparisons between that and the new GT350?

I am in position to either buy a new or used GT350, is there a year I should focus on or stay away from?

I've noticed that some options are no longer being offered, is this because Ford already rolled them into the base GT350?

Are there any must have options? I'm of the theory that less is more, so I'm more inclined to look at performance and handling vs stereo and electronics, however if there is a compelling reason to consider a certain electronic option, I'm open.

Does the Boss offer a more visceral feel vs the new GT350?

Should I look for used Boss instead or is the GT350 that much more?

Lots of questions, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Stay away from a TECH pack 2016, no coolers on them. Get a track pack 2016 or any 2017 that now has track pack standard equipment.

I own a 2012 Laguna Seca, and had a chance to drive a track pack 350 for a few laps at Lime Rock, and I was blown away by the performance and feel.

As a matter of fact, I was just at Watkins Glen for a two day driving event, and a guy that always was there with his LS showed up in a new 2017 350, well he and I were always in the same run group - advanced - and I could usually keep him in my sights. Not this year! He would go by me and be gone, out of site within a lap, that car flew, and the sound of the exhaust at 8000rpm as he went by me was unlike anything I've ever heard come out of a mustang.

I had a deal to get a 350, but it fell apart, so I bought a Raptor instead, but I'm still keeping my eyes open for a new leftover or low mileage used 350, especially since they extended the car for one more year 2018.

mammothcar1

Established Member
Thanks, I remember seeing your member name on the Boss forums back then.
I do remember reading about the oil cooler issue, but I wasn't sure when and where that was, so thank you for the added info.

mammothcar1

Established Member
So, to add to my questions, if I were able to find or spec a no option GT350 without any of the radio tech features, I'd still be getting all of the available performance and handling options available?

I think I turned the radio on my Boss only once, and that was to see if it was working.
But if the tech package offers a lot of bang for the buck I'd probably just get it, especially if it's already spec'd and sitting on a dealers lot.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Personally, if I had the means I would go for the GT350. And I'm somewhat looking for a boss 302.

The 2017 GT350s come with the coolers and magnetic suspension, so personally I would look for those and save the $3k on the tech stuff below.

The Electronics Package is optional on the Shelby GT350® and includes:

• 9 Speaker Audio System
• SiriusXM® Radio
• SYNC® 3
• Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
• Soft Door Rollover
• Turn Signal Mirrors
• Universal Garage Door Opener
• Voice-Activated Navigation System

*Not available with the Convenience Package

These are the options that the car comes standard with (900a)

Power and Handling
  • 3.73 TORSEN® limited-slip rear axle
  • 5.2L Ti-VCT V8 with Flat Plane Crank
  • Differential Cooler
  • Engine oil cooler
  • Transmission Cooler
  • TREMEC® 6-speed manual
  • AdvanceTrac® with Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
  • Electronic Line-Lock
  • Four piston Brembo® rear brake calipers and 15" two-piece cross drilled iron discs mounted to aluminum hats
  • Independent rear suspension
  • Integrated Driver Control System
  • Selectable-effort Electric Power-Assist Steering (EPAS)
  • Six piston Brembo® front brake calipers and 15.5" two-piece cross drilled iron discs mounted to aluminum hats
  • Vented 4-wheel disc brakes
  • MagneRide suspension
  • GT350 Wheel
  • Launch control (requires manual transmission)
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Front - 295/35 ZR 19
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Rear - 305/35 ZR 19
  • Tire Inflator and Sealant Kit
Interior Features
  • 50/50 split folding rear seat
  • RECARO® cloth/Miko® suede Sport Seats
  • Auto-dimming rearview mirror
  • Manual climate control
  • AM/FM stereo with single CD player and 6 speakers
  • SYNC®
  • Two smart-charging USB ports
  • Aluminum foot pedals
  • Cabin air filter
  • Center console with full armrest
  • Map Light
  • Cupholders (2)
  • Driver footrest
  • Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler
  • Floor mats - carpeted, front
  • Gray accent gauge cluster and register vents
  • Illuminated, locking glove compartment
  • Intelligent Access with push-button start
  • Interior trunk release
  • Leather/Alcantara® - wrapped steering wheel with tilt/telescoping steering column
  • Leather-wrapped parking brake handle
  • Power driver and passenger windows with global open
  • Powerpoints - 2
  • Premium door trim - Miko® Suede
  • Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors
  • Track Apps™
Exterior Features
  • Automatic headlamps with wiper activation
  • Dual Exhaust with Active Valves and quad tips
  • HID headlamps with signature lighting
  • Hood Vent
  • LED sequential taillamps
  • Mirrors - Power glass, manual folding with integrated Blind Spot Mirror and Gloss Black Cap
  • Raised decklid spoiler
  • Rear diffuser
  • Unique GT350 sill plates
  • Rear-window defroster
Safety
  • 3-point safety belt restraint system for all seating positions
  • Glove Box Door Integrated Knee Airbag
  • Belt-Minder® front safety belt reminder
  • Driver's knee airbag
  • Dual front airbags
  • Front-seat side-impact airbags
  • LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether Anchors for Children)
  • Personal Safety System™ for driver and front passenger
  • Rear view camera
  • Safety Canopy® side-curtain airbags
  • SOS Post-Crash Alert System™
  • Illuminated entry
  • Individual Tire Pressure Monitoring System
  • Perimeter alarm
  • Remote keyless entry system
  • Securilock® Passive Anti-Theft System

All copy and pasted from build and price.

chris_302

Established Member
Between the 302 and 350 there is a huge difference IMHO.
Completely different animals, I had the chance to drive a 2017 Track Pack GT350 at Autoclub Speedway.

One thing you notice over the boss is the RPM range and the 5.2 screaming.
The boss has that "raw" feeling to it.

The brakes are a huge improvement over the 302, hell, the s550 GT PP brakes are much nicer than the 302's.

That's just some of the things I personally noticed.
The b302 is a great platform, you still see some of the 302s being raced in the PWC.

The GT350 is a great car, would I trade it for my boss? NO.

mammothcar1

Established Member
Thanks for everyone's feedback, I'm going to look at a Shadow Black and then an Avalanche Grey tomorrow.

2 other questions:

I noticed the convenience package isn't offered anymore, ( I think this was leather seats and heated seats).
Is this because most owners didn't bother with ordering this option? I am not really interested in this option, was just curious and noticed that Ford has eliminated this option.

The other question is this;
I've noticed the usual ADM's on this car but there are quite a few now for just MSRP. Is anyone getting these for much less than MSRP now?

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
I too am looking at getting a 302 or a 350. Primarily for track use.

I have many cortex suspension parts here for the S197 platform. Also I have a set of 2014 500 Brembo brakes. The 302 falls short on the brakes. The 302 is cheaper. The 302 is lighter and can be made lighter with just a few things removed.

The 350, I like. One of the many guys I run with at AAA has a R. The R at this point has put down 1:53.7 on the Roval. Mostly due to OEM tires. I think that's the fastest one so far.

The fastest 350 non R, I think was around 157.2. My 2014 Gt 500 puts down 154.3 so far. I have a Watts link on the rear and carbotech pads on front.. One guy with a modded suspension S197 Gt Mustang and track tires runs 154.3 also.

The Recaro seats are fantastic and the TORSEN diff is another must have in both the 302 and 350.

I think for me, cost would be a major factor since I will be keeping my 2014 500 and my PJ Mustangs.

I have also been looking at the Camaro 1LE. From afar.

The 350 non R I have seen at MSRP now. Used ones for around 45-50 online.
The cheapest R I have seen is new and around 93k.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
So, to add to my questions, if I were able to find or spec a no option GT350 without any of the radio tech features, I'd still be getting all of the available performance and handling options available?

If you're spec-ing a GT350R, yes. If you're wanting the best performance and zero frills, a base R is the way to go. Followed by the R with Electronics Pack, then a no-option Track Pack. If you don't want to pay the privilege fee to buy an R, your best bet is the no-option Track Pack. It obviously won't handle as well as an R, but it will still have darned good performance on the street.

... Is anyone getting these for much less than MSRP now?

I doubt it.

Cobra(ed) Up

Established Member
I presently own and 350 and looked at buying a 302 prior to buying my gt500. IMO, the 350 is like watching season 1 vs season 4 of your favorite show. Both are good but, the 350 expands on a lot of the idea the boss started.
better brakes
tighter steering
more power
less body roll

As someone above pointed out... You can almost make any mustang do anything given the right amount of cash. Ps, I am also in N.Va

mammothcar1

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.
I've got an offer in on one now, just waiting to hear back from the dealer.
At first I was going to keep the Golf R, but I drive so little now, ( only 5,000 miles over 13 months) I didn't feel it was necessary.
Plus, I have a 93 F150 for most of my daily driving needs and winter driving.

mammothcar1

Established Member
I just picked it up.
Wow, what a car.
Shadow Black w/ electronics package, everything else is now standard on the car.
All the videos and reviews of this car are spot on.
Really glad I traded in the Golf R. Despite all the great reviews of that car, at the end of the day, it's boring as...
This car checks all the boxes, and brings back that driving experience I had with the Boss, but this car is so much more.
Thanks for everyone's help here.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I presently own and 350 and looked at buying a 302 prior to buying my gt500. IMO, the 350 is like watching season 1 vs season 4 of your favorite show. Both are good but, the 350 expands on a lot of the idea the boss started.
better brakes
tighter steering
more power
less body roll

As someone above pointed out... You can almost make any mustang do anything given the right amount of cash. Ps, I am also in N.Va

I think you nailed it; it all depends on how deep your pockets are and what you want to do with the car. You pay a premium to buy a new or even used GT350, why not buy a used Boss LS or even a standard Boss and put the extra goodies on it that will make it compete with the GT350 on track? I'm sure it's doable given the price differential?

Interestingly, I believe Ford said that it expected only 5% of Boss owners to track their cars. I wonder if that holds true for GT350's? When you think about this, unless you're tracking the car regularly, it really then comes down to the cosmetics and personal preferences (subjective) on the look and perhaps feel of the car when driven.

Having owned a 12 Boss, it was the best Mustang I've owned; sounded great with the unique Quad exhaust (added Corsa Extreme axle backs to that :)) and with track key enabled, lopey idle and snap crackle pop on decels. Tracked it 3 times and that was quite the experience (no prior experience in another car, but to me, the car handled incredibly and was obvious when lapping with the other GT500's, GT's and other flavors of Mustangs present). It inspired confidence. Sounds like the GT350's would take that up a notch.....stock vs. stock.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... You pay a premium to buy a new or even used GT350, why not buy a used Boss LS or even a standard Boss and put the extra goodies on it that will make it compete with the GT350 on track? I'm sure it's doable given the price differential?

It still won't be as confidence inspiring. I've done that with my GT500. It handles incredibly well now. Put R-compound rubber on both cars, and it might even best my R on track, but it won't feel anywhere near as confidence inspiring. The R seems unflappable on even the worst mid-corner bumps at speed. My GT500 stays just as planted on the same bumps, but there's always something in the back of my head that says "this might turn out badly for you." Glancing at the speedometers, I notice that I usually negotiate certain curves/roads 5 - 15 MPH slower in my GT500 than I do in my R. Not because my GT500 can't do it at the same speeds, but because it doesn't inspire the same confidence as my R, even with the R's sometimes skittish steering.

That said, if I ever upgrade to a full coil-over suspension with adjustable dampers, that might change everything. I just don't know if I want my GT500 to ride that stiffly. The R beats me up enough as it is.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
It still won't be as confidence inspiring. I've done that with my GT500. It handles incredibly well now. Put R-compound rubber on both cars, and it might even best my R on track, but it won't feel anywhere near as confidence inspiring. The R seems unflappable on even the worst mid-corner bumps at speed. My GT500 stays just as planted on the same bumps, but there's always something in the back of my head that says "this might turn out badly for you." Glancing at the speedometers, I notice that I usually negotiate certain curves/roads 5 - 15 MPH slower in my GT500 than I do in my R. Not because my GT500 can't do it at the same speeds, but because it doesn't inspire the same confidence as my R, even with the R's sometimes skittish steering.

That said, if I ever upgrade to a full coil-over suspension with adjustable dampers, that might change everything. I just don't know if I want my GT500 to ride that stiffly. The R beats me up enough as it is.

You're very fortunate to have two very capable track cars to compare, and I hear you on the confidence part and how it affects driving the car on track. As you pointed out, there are compromises to be made to ride quality, so if you track and street drive the car, that's another consideration; can you live with it on street.

I'm curious, regarding the GT500, do you run into heat soak issues on track?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'm curious, regarding the GT500, do you run into heat soak issues on track?

I haven't taken it on track yet. There's a road "circuit" that I like to go to in the mountains with some gnarly curves where I can keep the RPM in the higher end, but I have a Killer Chiller that keeps IAT2 in check even on the hottest days.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I haven't taken it on track yet. There's a road "circuit" that I like to go to in the mountains with some gnarly curves where I can keep the RPM in the higher end, but I have a Killer Chiller that keeps IAT2 in check even on the hottest days.

I've heard good things about the Killer Chiller. Would be interesting though to see how it would fare in a true track environment. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread