McLeod Street Extreme Clutch or just get the RST???

Smurfzilla

Established Member
I installed the cj intake a few weeks back and instantly I realized the clutch needed replacing. I bought a Blowfish and a Barton off a buddy to compliment the new clutch I will be buying. The street extreme is rated for 700hp but is still a single disk. Rst is rated for 800hp but is a twin disk. I am no where near those numbers, nor will I be anytime soon (if ever). I just want to be able to shift cleanly and quickly at 7500rpm every time. Do I need a twin disk to completely eliminate high rpm lockout or will the street extreme single disk suffice? Is the extra $250 worth it? It's not my daily so street driving characteristics don't need to be silky smooth but I also don't want be bucking and grabbing at low rpm shifts. Any advice would be appreciated. Btw the car will be tracked a few times a month.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
keep in mind, the bucking and grabbing at low rpms you are experiencing is probably tuning related. Also, the high RPM lockout is usually fixed by replacing the factory rubber clutch line with a stainless steal one. Lots of prior posts are around to verify this.

GrabUblue

Established Member
I have experience with both. Both work well. The street extreme is heavy like an old school HD fox clutch. Get the rst, it's a little noisy but it feels like stock.

No the clutch line is not going to fix the problem smh

Smurfzilla

Established Member
keep in mind, the bucking and grabbing at low rpms you are experiencing is probably tuning related. Also, the high RPM lockout is usually fixed by replacing the factory rubber clutch line with a stainless steal one. Lots of prior posts are around to verify this.

No no, my car isn't bucking now. Very happy with my tune. I've just heard twin disks can be super grabby.

I just assumed the clutch wasn't strong enough for 7000+ rpm's. I was ordering one anyways so trying a stainless line wouldn't hurt before yanking the transmission. I'll do that first. The lockout isn't every time. 25% lockout could be cured by a line I suppose. Peddle has only stuck depressed once on 30 or so full rpm pulls since I installed the cj. Fixing the shifter to the transmission with a blowfish or a mgw should help also.

Smurfzilla

Established Member
I have experience with both. Both work well. The street extreme is heavy like an old school HD fox clutch. Get the rst, it's a little noisy but it feels like stock.

Haha, sold!

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member

Do you want to search around and do some research before shaking your head at me, or troubleshoot by addressing the most complicated problem first like an amateur?

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
The clutch is what needs to be changed.

The answer to your initial question is that a good single disc grabs just fine if that's what you'd like. I'm using an Exedy Mach 600 (single) and was shifting at 8k rpm with ease on the CJ manifold with that (terrible) clutch line that's being talked about

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

StalkerStang

Established Member
If I could go back, I would have done the RST the first time.

I had clutch issues immediately after i installed my gt350 manifold. Tried all the usual band-aids; dot 4 fluid, stainless line, removed assist spring.... no change. Finally changed the clutch to the Extreme Street, and not only did it not cure the high rpm issues, it sucked to drive.

The harder pedal was not a big deal, but it made noise and it released right off the floor. Pretty much an on or off clutch too. Not fun for street driving. The slave to pressure plate gap was not close to the factory clutch at all.

I have a RST now and I love it. Quiet, stock like engagement threshold. High rpm shifts are smooth. Cost is the only drawback, but worth it. Make sure to get their flywheel too and use ARP bolts. Don't dick around with this, you pay for it afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

KBBoss302

Established Member
No experience with the Street Extreme but I do have an RST on my Boss and it 100% cured the 7k+rpm lockout. There are several threads with others like me singing the RST's praises.

Oh, and replacing a clutch line won't end the lockouts. Ask me how I know. Neither will an MGW, Blowfish bracket, Whiteline trans bushing, removing the clutch pedal helper spring, etc. Scroll through the 'Driveline/Suspension' section of the 11-14 Mustang forum here.

Smurfzilla

Established Member
It's looking like the extra $250 is worth the upgrade. Is the flywheel upgrade necessary, or is machining my stock flywheel sufficient?

You guys have been a great help so far. I was looking for responses from people with personal experiences. Thanks all!

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
What about the RXT vrs the street Extreme? I used the RXT when doing my Magnum XL swap and had no issues with the way it drives. Not familiar with the Extreme which is why i asked the question.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I also agree that the MGW and the stainless clutch line do not fix the lockout issue. I'm using the RXT with the Mcleod lightened steel flywheel and so far it is great. I don't have the chatter that some people talk about and other than it having noticeably more grip the pedal feels much like stock. If you go RST get the flywheel with it.

Smurfzilla

Established Member
I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow. RST with lightened steel flywheel. Aluminum DS, blowfish and a barton. Can't wait to feel the difference. I'm hoping this will put ALL my mt82 shifting woes behind me.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Great! I think you will be very happy with those upgrades! Every time I drive mine now, it is so awesome to be able to shift at high rpm with ZERO issues so hopefully you'll have the same luck.

FYI I see some 20% off McLeod stuff this weekend - Beefcake among others.

Stang Lover

Established Member
RST. It's what Ben Calimer highly recommends or Mantic. He does not recommend the RXT for the MT82 as it is too hard on the transmission and he will tell you that.

Glad you bought the RST.

Users who are viewing this thread