MT-82 transmission fluid

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Hey Fellas, I wanted to check in and see what fluids you guys liked. I had read some older threads where folks were pretty happy with BG Synchro Shift II and Redline MTL. My MT82 has gotten real notchy and 3-4 has become very difficult at WOT, it sometimes grinds, but its perfectly fine under normal driving conditions. I was going to change the trans fluid and bleed the clutch line.

19113995_1337812246315248_4567798374692872135_n.jpg

Last edited:

JDos1

Established Member
The most commonly recommended mix is 2 qts Amsoil MTF, .7 qts Amsoil MTG. I run the opposite of that though due to being in a hot climate.
Fluid might help a tad but what'll really help you (if damage hasn't already been done) is a new clutch.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Oh definitely hear you on the clutch, going to need one soon with Vortech T-Trim. I have been debating on whether to keep this MT82 and try to build it up, do TR6060 swap from Ben Calimer, or magnum swap.

Coosawjack

Established Member
I put BG SycroShift II in mine awhile back and it seems to be better than the Ford DC stuff but it ain't been cold enough lately to see how it shifts "cold"......I'll have to wait??:confused:

Also I read the XL-18 additive than was in mine from the factory accelerates syncro wear and attacks seals so I was determined to remove it no matter what fluid I used!!:eek:

Good Luck!!:)

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
@Coosawjack fortunately it doesn't get too cold here in SE Texas. My buddy runs an Automotive repair place and they carry BG Synchroshift II, which he likes, but advised the Redline and Amsoil products would be just as good and a little cheaper.

In a nutshell I am over analyzing these products, they are all great and in the end my best answer is probably a better clutch assembly or different box altogether. FWIW will give the Redline stuff a shot, found it for a pretty good price on Amazon.

Thank you Coosawjack and JDos1 for your replies/info.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Well I have put Redline MTL in there and its definitely shifting smoother. I haven't tried a 3-4 WOT shift, still lifting slightly before shifting and no issues yet. Previously the 3-4 close to WOT/lifting to shift had even gotten difficult. I probably have done some synchro damage, so I won't push my luck anymore on the 3-4.

JDos1

Established Member
You should be fine with MTL. If I recall correctly it's operating viscosity is very close to what the MTG/MTF blend should be.

ddtmoto

Established Member
who will be the first to try Redline's NEW DCTF.? Ordered mine from Jegs friday. Meets M2C-936-A. We will see.....

96gt02

Established Member
I am running the amsoil syncromesh however i will say the biggest difference in smooth shifting happened when i added my blowfish bracket.

ddtmoto

Established Member
Well, I'm here to report the Redline DCTF is a winner. I did install an Energy Suspension transmission bushing while I was under there changing out gearbox fluids.
The short test drive I did was very telling. Obvious improvement over Ford's bandaid DCT with XL-18 that was the latest fill. I have also tried Redline MTL, BG syncromesh2 looking for improved shifting. Always there was cold gear change issues and the 1/2 shift reluctance, never smooth. Now and then a nibble on the 2/3 shift. I like when there is a nice payoff with success in a project. It's only taken 36k miles to find better shifting with my Getrag....

Users who are viewing this thread