Need help.Mgw shifter install.STUCK

scotty2hotty

Established Member
Putting on new mgw shifter and i cant get old shifter to pry up.All the bolts are out and have been pulling per instrutions for 30 minutes and no moving at all.Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.Thanks

TRBO VNM

get a pry bar or large flat head screw driver. you should be able to pop it off like that. I have had one that gave me fits like that and the pry bar worked. try to get it from under the edge.

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
scotty2hotty said:
Putting on new mgw shifter and i cant get old shifter to pry up.All the bolts are out and have been pulling per instrutions for 30 minutes and no moving at all.Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.Thanks

When I installed mine, it was stuck too.....I had to get a razor blade and VERY CAREFULLY cut at the silicone that was holding it. I also tapped mine at the base of the shifter LIGHTLY with a rubber mallet. Maybe not the smartest move, but it worked for me. Again, I did both things VERY CAREFULLY as to not mess anything up. I'm assuming that you've tried moving it with the shifter on?

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
venom one said:
When I installed mine, it was stuck too.....I had to get a razor blade and VERY CAREFULLY cut at the silicone that was holding it. I also tapped mine at the base of the shifter LIGHTLY with a rubber mallet. Maybe not the smartest move, but it worked for me. Again, I did both things VERY CAREFULLY as to not mess anything up. I'm assuming that you've tried moving it with the shifter on?

+1, that would work...I just used a flat head and pulled and it came right off. Put a little muscle in it and she'll come right off. :thumbsup:

beabout

Established Member
Just a caution to add to the suggestions above. Try to minimize what falls into the transmission as you remove the old shifter or for that matter when you install the new one....

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Maybe I just got lucky, but when I installed mine, I had driven it about an hour prior to get some parts and the old gasket holding the factory shifter on was probably still nice and warm and came right off. I didn't even have to scrape off any old gasket stuff. Just a suggestion

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
First time I put one in, I had my namesake 01 gt on the lift. Just got under it with a long straight screwdriver & a hammer and tapped it loose. Second time I put one on, I was in a garage about 3 hours from my shop. Cobra sat too low to get under it with the jack I had so I got pissed off and just ripped it off by hand. The results? One helluva nice bloodblister on my right index finger:nonono: What can I say? I wasn't about to wait till the weekend to put it on:shrug:

Glad you got yours done!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Seems like people are experiencing a rash of not being able to remove the stock shifter easily. Glad you got it taken care of.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Seems like people are experiencing a rash of not being able to remove the stock shifter easily. Glad you got it taken care of.

Just think Bob...if they use your gasket, they will NEVER have this problem again!! :D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for saying it for me Larry. LOL! That's one of the most frequent comments I receive from users. ;-)

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
I thought i broke mine.. I got on the passenger side and put all my weight on it pulling.. and it went pop! and came off.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Did mine yesterday - Put the old shifter back on and banged it with my hand back and forth (that is - from side to side as indicated to do in the instructions) and after a few hits it popped right off.

Last edited:

nightstalker865

Established Member
I was going to say. Put the old shift handle back on and pull it to one side or the other. I have used this method on anything from vettes and f-bodys to mustangs and it has never failed.

YoungJim

Established Member
I did mine when it was below 0 outside (celcius, mind you) and the factory one popped right off. (Good riddance!)

Users who are viewing this thread