new FRPP cover leaking - over filled?

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I had a trusted shop recently tackle this job for me and they replaced the IRS bushings and put on a new FRPP cover. I drove it several times and some decently spirited driving and never noticed any drips of any kinds but this past weekend I drove it fairly hard on some back roads and noticed today there were some drips. I'm thinking it's likely coming out the top vent due to them over filling it some. I hope at least. I don't want to have to take it back and be in the shop again but I will if it doesn't stop. My question is would you guys just watch it for a while and see if it continues to leak or would you go ahead and take it back in now. I'm somewhat sure it's coming from the vent tube b/c it sprayed the cross brace that is right behind the top of the diff cover and one drop that was on the ground was to the right side of the cover where the vent tube is. Has anybody else experienced this after a refill or should I take it back in now since I paid them a decent amount of money to do the work. It wasn't everywhere or anything but it definetly dropped two drips in my garage and the cover a little wet

choate

Established Member
Well after reading for a while it seems this is somewhat common with the FRPP cover being over filled. I guess the instructions say to fill until it runs out of the middle hole (I think) and that seems to cause some to spray out until it's a little below the hole. I have no idea how much the shop put in but I gave them two quarts. I might just deal with it and make sure it's not leaking if I just drive normally (hard to do that b/c my car feels really solid these days) or I might pick up a FTBR catch can and mount it in the trunk for those hard pulls so it doesn't ruin my polish job on my exhaust. I'm hoping that's all it is since I just got the car back 3 weeks ago and have been thoroughly enjoying it and would hate to have it back in the shop

speedoflife

Established Member
I battled differential leaks for a long time at first. I had a leak after a shop replaced the cover, but it ended up being the pinion seal. All of the fluid was on the bottom of the diff from that leak though. It's probably venting fluid (I remember a thread recently where someone had that problem - it solved itself with time). Just keep the area clean and keep an eye on it for now. With some Rhino Ramps you can wipe that area up in about 5 minutes.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I would make sure the car is sitting level on the ground or drive on lift, remove the middle fill plug to let any gearlube overfill drain out, put the drain plug back in, then just keep an eye on for any (if any) drips to eventually quit.

badmpg03

Established Member
I am not tech savy on the diff but might help you -
mine leaked twice. One was from worn out gasket, one was from improper gasket.
Two different shops....
I was told last from my current shop that the it was best to use a silicon based film instead of a gasket where the cover attaches for my cover (believe it was early version FRPP). It has not leaked since after a few months.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
The reason manufacturers put the fill hole mid height of the case on differentials and manual transmissions is for filling the fluid and fluid level. Otherwise they would have sight glasses or dipsticks for mechanic reference. It is common for the mechanic to stick their finger in the hole to feel for fluid level so they don't have fluid draining out of the hole wasting fluid.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The reason manufacturers put the fill hole mid height of the case on differentials and manual transmissions is for filling the fluid and fluid level. Otherwise they would have sight glasses or dipsticks for mechanic reference. It is common for the mechanic to stick their finger in the hole to feel for fluid level so they don't have fluid draining out of the hole wasting fluid.
'

This would normally be correct, but isn't with the Ford Racing Cover. If you fill like this, it is going to spew. Based on your post, I am betting you don't have the Ford Racing Cover.

choate

Established Member
I'm betting the shop just poured it in until it came out the hole. That's how the instructions actually say to do it.

choate

Established Member
Anybody mounted one of these (link below)? I'm wondering if you just drilled a holes to let the tubes go down from the trunk then sealed it with RTV and how did you mount it/where did you mount it in the trunk?

I might go this route since it seems easier than taking off the exhaust, jacking and draining - plus the excess that doesn't go into the catch can would drain back into the diff
http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/FT_1382.htm

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I was able to use a wobble extension and a allen socket to get the fill plug out without dropping the exhaust. I then used a vacuum pump to remove 400 ml of fluid after I had overfilled. No leaks.

I think the breather you linked is totally over kill. The trunk isn't completely sealed off from the passenger compartment and gear oil smells like ass.

choate

Established Member
Just wanted to report back here since I've driven the car 3 or 4 times since this started. The first time I got a couple more drips in the garage. Wiped it off real good from what I could see and as far as I can tell nothing since on the floor since a couple drives so I'm guessing it's slightly overfilled, spraying a fine mist out that breather hole when I'm pulling on Camaros and Challengers at WOT ripping gears and it's then dripping down once enough builds up and the car gets parked in the garage. Hopefully I'm good to go from here on out.

mark23svt

Established Member
This is what I've been fighting for a while but never thought that maybe it was overfilled. Took out bolts and re sealed them.

Attachments

• IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 116

choate

Established Member
If you zoom in the pic you can see there is a little fluid still on the right bottom bolt
Did you fill it until it started coming out of the fill hole? A shop did mine so I don't know but from everything I've read that's too much and it will spew

mark23svt

Established Member
Well yesterday I had my car on race Ramps from the rear, removed the fill screw and diff oil started shooting out as if it full over the fill in screw. It was weird especially since car was lifted from the rear. A mechanic put the cover so I'm guessing he took out the pumpkin and filled it face down.

Users who are viewing this thread