Official 2018 Formula 1 thread

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
With the 2018 cars being revealed, I figured this is about as good of a time as any to start the new season thread.

While I am still firmly in the #NotMyHalo camp, have to say, the liveries this year are some of the strongest I've ever seen. I can't believe I'm typing this, but Sauber is my runaway favorite. The red and while Alpha livery is fantastic. I cannot wait to see the McLaren offering.

Speaking of McLaren, with my driver (Massa) retiring I'm really pulling for Alonso this year, I think he (and McLaren as a team) are the dark horses that are going to surprise the big 3.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Saubers strength in their livery is the simplicity of it.

I actually really like the blue/black camo look of the Red Bulls, which apparently won't be their actual race livery.

Coiled03

Established Member
While I am still firmly in the #NotMyHalo camp, have to say, the liveries this year are some of the strongest I've ever seen. I can't believe I'm typing this, but Sauber is my runaway favorite. The red and while Alpha livery is fantastic. I cannot wait to see the McLaren offering.

Agreed. Some awesome livery this year. But the halo.....my god it's awful.

Speaking of McLaren, with my driver (Massa) retiring I'm really pulling for Alonso this year, I think he (and McLaren as a team) are the dark horses that are going to surprise the big 3.

Agree with this as well. McLaren will surprise for sure, assuming they didn't **** up the chassis over the winter. I've always liked Alonso, but I'll pull for him even harder this year after his visit to Indy last year. He made a positive impression on a lot of people as both a driver, and a person, myself included. I hope he comes to Indycar full time some day, similar to what Mansell did.

OT: Speaking of Indycar, their new cars look FABULOUS this year. Can't wait to see them in person at Indy in a few months.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
R
Agreed. Some awesome livery this year. But the halo.....my god it's awful.

Agree with this as well. McLaren will surprise for sure, assuming they didn't **** up the chassis over the winter. I've always liked Alonso, but I'll pull for him even harder this year after his visit to Indy last year. He made a positive impression on a lot of people as both a driver, and a person, myself included. I hope he comes to Indycar full time some day, similar to what Mansell did.

OT: Speaking of Indycar, their new cars look FABULOUS this year. Can't wait to see them in person at Indy in a few months.

They should add halos...shit is not safe

Hopefully no one gets BBQ because they can't get out.

Coiled03

Established Member
R

They should add halos...shit is not safe

Hopefully no one gets BBQ because they can't get out.

Huh? What's not safe? Indycar has run open cockpit for decades. The only person I recall getting significantly burned is Rick Mears. If anyone would have trouble getting out it's the F1 guys.

Coiled03

Established Member
I think he was being sarcastic.

Oh....guess I missed it.

1355331549061.jpg

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Here is what I think the real reason behind the halo is:

-FIA wants closed cockpit
-Fans want open cockpit
-FIA introduces hideous halo
-Fans revolt and demand windscreen alternative
-FIA “caves” and mandate the windscreen that they wanted all along
-Fans rejoice in “victory”

I’m calling it right now: There is NO WAY the halo is around for more than 3 seasons. We will have a windscreen on F1 cars by the 2021 season.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Oh....guess I missed it.

View attachment 1468053
Lol yeah, my bad first part was sarcastic second wasn't. I'd hate to see a crash where a driver has a hard time getting out due to the halo. I imagine they researched it but almost seems more dangerous. Don't think the halo would of saved Jules... F1 is incredibly safe considering what they are doing.

Coiled03

Established Member

-Fans want open cockpit

I’m calling it right now: There is NO WAY the halo is around for more than 3 seasons. We will have a windscreen on F1 cars by the 2021 season.

If it's around for 3 seasons, I'll be amazed. They'll see the windscreen Indycar is testing and switch to something similar - though probably 10X more expensive - almost guaranteed.

Lol yeah, my bad first part was sarcastic second wasn't. I'd hate to see a crash where a driver has a hard time getting out due to the halo. I imagine they researched it but almost seems more dangerous. Don't think the halo would of saved Jules... F1 is incredibly safe considering what they are doing.

Well, last year, the driver evacuation time requirement was 5 seconds. Seems the stupid ass halo has forced them to increase that:

https://wtf1.com/post/f1s-halo-has-apparently-raised-the-minimum-f1-cockpit-evacuation-time/

In their effort to increase one aspect of safety, they've decreased another.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member

-Fans want open cockpit

and death of Jules Bianchi in modern F1 era

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
While Jules’s death was tragic, there is no evidence that the Halo would have prevented it.

It sure would've absorbed a great amount off his impact away from his helmet prior to going under the tow vehicle. I agree with you but between this incident and massa incident (which I would add massa incident, the halo is useless) is the underlying reason for halo... End result driver safety.

Forza Ferrari!!

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Not sure if you guys have seem this new video of Schumi... He's my hero!!! Very well done and too me very emotional. I hope to see his son Mick in F1 within the next couple years. #keepfightingmichael

Coiled03

Established Member
It sure would've absorbed a great amount off his impact away from his helmet prior to going under the tow vehicle. I agree with you but between this incident and massa incident (which I would add massa incident, the halo is useless) is the underlying reason for halo... End result driver safety.

Forza Ferrari!!

So, what you're saying is, they changed the rules because of one incident. And while they increased driver safety in that one respect, they decreased it relative to cockpit evacuation times. Well done FIA! *rolleyes*

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I'd almost put a wager out that these Halos don't make it to next season. maybe not this whole season. They had to do something...Now they just have to show that they are more harmful than good. I see no way that they don't affect vision from the cockpit.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
So, what you're saying is, they changed the rules because of one incident. And while they increased driver safety in that one respect, they decreased it relative to cockpit evacuation times. Well done FIA! *rolleyes*

I was adding to list that gringo posted.. One incident that resulted in a death.. No big deal tho I guess.. Sorry for having an opinion

Users who are viewing this thread